toldailytopic: What do you believe God requires of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Jack

Mic 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.

That's why we named our youngest Micah.:)

God requires that we trust Him, believe Him. Genesis 26:5 tells us that Abraham had faith and His faith led to obedience.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm saying God desires goodness.

That isn't the topic. He said what does God require of you. Require and desire are not the same. You require water to live. You do not require filet mignon but desire it.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
If God requires nothing, then what the hell did Jesus die for?

Good point . . .

Under the old Covenant of Works (Law) God commanded and required that men believe in Him to find life and turn from sin to avoid death.

We all know Adam broke that Covenant (Law), and since that fall from moral responsibility and accountability before God, all the human offspring of Adam have continued to fail to obey God according to these commands under the Covenant of Works (Law.)

God the Son came into this world in the flesh body of Jesus Christ, to fulfill this Covenant of Works (Law) on behalf of the lost souls given to Him by the Father. In their stead, as Mediator, Christ fulfilled all of the demands and requirements of the Covenant of Works (Law), and by doing so, established Himself fit to remove the divine curse (sentence of death) imposed by the Father against a people given to Him to save . . .by substituionally suffering their deserved judgment and death for them . . .thereby removing the Godly curse against their souls. Galations 3:3

Thereby, all the Covenant of Works was perfectly performed, for Christ being born under the Law fulfilled all the Law, and satisfied the wrath of God on behalf of all those souls given to Him by the Father to justify and save from the curse of the Law imposed by their failure to keep Covenant under a program of works. IOW's, Jesus did all the works necessary to please God . . . in the stead of His spiritual children who could not, and by nature, would not successfully perform the Covenant of Works, as created under the Laws and commands of God.

Through the righteous works of Jesus Christ, a new Covenant has been established between God and men; the new Covenant of Grace . . . also provided and performed by Jesus Christ alone, on behalf of His elect sons.

Long story, short. Jesus Christ did all that was required by God under the old Covenant of Works (Law) in order to establish the new Covenant of Grace; whereby He also satisfies God by His faithful obedience . . . again on behalf and in stead of His spiritual offspring.

Those recipients of this Mediation and grace, are now told: "He who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His." Hebrews 4:10

And any who fail to cease from their own works, instead of trusting totally in the righteous works of Jesus Christ, manifest just another form of unbelief and disobedience. Hebrews 4:11

To answer Newman's post:

Jesus Christ died to fulfill the human responsibility of His elect towards God under the Covenant of Works (Law), in order to release these souls to the freedom to live in a state of ceasing from their own works, so that they might enjoy a spiritual rest in God by God's grace, alone.

Sola Gratia!

Nang

Dena

That isn't the topic. He said what does God require of you. Require and desire are not the same. You require water to live. You do not require filet mignon but desire it.

Then what does "require" mean in God's view? If you don't do it you die? You go to hell?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Even still?

Now that you are in the body... what if you doubted Him?

Absolute faith in Jesus Christ, He is the door, to know God is to know Him. There is no such thing as knowing Him and not knowing Him. One has Grace or not, if one does one knows it.

Only God saves us, when Jesus perfect redemption stands in for our natural imperfections.

In Grace we walk in beauty, yet still are in the flesh, until our time ends.

elohiym

Then what does "require" mean in God's view? If you don't do it you die? You go to hell?

The Hebrew scriptures contain many prophecies about the Day of the Lord.

In order to stand in the presence of God on that day, you have to believe you can, like the three worthies stood in the fiery furnace by faith.

In that sense, belief is all that is required to be saved.

Memento Mori

The Hebrew scriptures contain many prophecies about the Day of the Lord.

In order to stand in the presence of God on that day, you have to believe you can, like the three worthies stood in the fiery furnace by faith.

In that sense, belief is all that is required to be saved.

How much belief?

Buzzword

God requires me to love Him and love my neighbor.

He enables me to love Him by revealing Himself to me by His peace and joy which defy circumstances.

He enables me to love my neighbor by constantly showing me how much He has forgiven me and how far up He has brought me, humbling me from passing judgment on others.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He requires the following:

Romans 11:36
For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 10:31
Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.

2 Corinthians 10:5
casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

AMR

elohiym

How much belief?

Do you believe 2+2=4?

That much belief.

It is a simple childlike faith that is provided to us by God so that we may apprehend how He forgave our sins and rendered us incapable of sin.

The measure of faith needed is proportional to the believer's need. For example, the measure of faith my ten year old daughter requires is not the same as an adult who has been indoctrinated to believe he can never stop sinning. She accepts the gospel at face value and does not project mans' doctrines over it; there is no question in her mind that she can stand before God on the Day of the Lord.

Letsargue

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 23rd, 2010 10:10 AM

toldailytopic: What do you believe God requires of you?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The Christian is required to rise above Faith, to Knowledge.
reading the Word produces Faith.

The consumption of the Word produces Knowledge not faith.
----- John 6:54-56 KJV – “Whoso eateth my flesh , and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55- For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56- He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him”.

Paul – 082410

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
If God requires nothing, then what the hell did Jesus die for?
Is that what I said? Maybe you should read the question again: What do you believe God requires of you?

May answer: Absolutely nothing. He knows He can't rely on me.

And that is why Christ died, because I am unreliable. Christ had to die in order for that which God requires to be met. Because neither I nor anyone else, other than Christ, could have met it.

chair

Deuteronomy 10:
12And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

13To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?

Chapter 30

11For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.

12It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

13Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?

14But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

This sums it up- if you are an Israelite, that is.

elohiym

Deuteronomy 10:
12And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

13To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?

You think you actually do that, Chair?

The Graphite

What does God require of me?

I'd need to rephrase -- What did God require of me?

Romans 10:9. Confess Jesus is Lord, and believe God rose Him from the dead. I am saved; I am "in Christ." Consequently, His death is my death to sin and to the world. His life is my life forever. His circumsion is my circumcision. His baptism is my baptism. His Spirit is my Spirit. His Father is my Father. His righteousness is credited to me, because I had faith, even if I have no works. He is my covering.

What does God now expect of me? That's another thing...

The greatest commandments: 1) love God, and 2) love people. This is universal to all saints and all peoples of God, throughout history. However, it is very important to know what dispensation (what "house rules") one is under at any given time, in order to know how to do those two things. Eat, or don't eat? Work or don't work (on Saturday)? Wear or don't wear? Sprinkle with ash water, or don't sprinkle with ash water? Sacrifice animals, or don't sacrifice animals? Pray... how, and for what? Share with others the truth of salvation of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob... and what is that gospel? (Jesus forbade the disciples from telling anyone of His resurrection, and then they went out and preached the gospel, which obviously did not include the resurrection of Christ.)

At one time in history, one would be expected (and even required) to do some of those things, or abstain from other things. At another time (today), one is not. Someday in the future, God will once again expect and require of people to abstain from unclean foods, as He did before. But, not today.

Adam did not have to build an ark. Noah did not have to circumsize. Abraham didn't have to observe the Sabbath. Moses didn't have to tithe 100% (as Jewish believers did in the gospels and early Acts). And none of them had to believe in the resurrection of the God-Man, Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.