toldailytopic: What are your thoughts about the Tea Party movement in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genuineoriginal

I guess I'm unaware of its meaning. Not sure what
part you're referring to? :)

The reference is to changing "tea party" into a different term. The talking heads that started calling the "tea party" by that term did it knowing that most people would not get the dirty joke they were making.

Newman

I like their anti-government attitude, and their emphasis on economics. I wish people would realize that Ron Paul was having similarly focused tea parties before all of this got started.

Of course, every group has their crazies, and the Tea Party people definitely isn't excluded from this phenomenon. It seems the media was really fond of "exposing" the crazies of the Tea Party movement for a while, although I think it has died down enough. The trouble is, it has died down after being attributed to the likes of Beck and Palin, although, since the crazies were pointed out under their "leadership", I'm not sure I'm unhappy about it.

Does that even make sense? Sometimes I have trouble getting my point across.

Four O'Clock

The reference is to changing "tea party" into a different term. The talking heads that started calling the "tea party" by that term did it knowing that most people would not get the dirty joke they were making.
I've never heard any talking head use the term. I've just been using it in conversation for some time and I have no idea what dirty joke is being implied. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Squishes

I don't believe the Tea Party was ever grass roots. They're people inflamed by the Koch Brothers and similar actors to campaign for things that actually go against their own interests.

Early TP was a Ron Paul movement that was pretty grassroots.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What are your thoughts about the Tea Party movement in America?

The Tea Party started off good--wanting to get rid of greedy politics and big government, but then it became infected with the same garbage that pollutes both the Republican and Democrat parties. There is a homosexual faction to the Tea Party just like we have Log Cabin Republicans.

Many of its ideas are good, but I am not entirely sold on it because it has allowed pollution to enter the movement.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You are doing a classic example of pushing the beliefs of the GOP onto the tea party.

The tea party is not about supporting capitalism. It is about trying to regain the individual private property rights we had 100 years ago. The GOP supports corporate capitalism and allows themselves to be bought off by the corporations.
The tea party wants morality in our culture because it is the best way to protect individual private property. The GOP does nothing to stop immorality or protect individual private property.

I think this is you and many other persons take on the tea party. It most surly have some truth in it; however it is not the motivating or combining force to the grass-roots movement. The tea party is for people for individual right, local authority and states rights. The right to build on your property with a government permit, the right to do as one pleases with their own land, that light for liberty over equality.

Have you not seen this is a college political science class? The professor draws a line across the board and on the right, it is liberty and on the left, it is equality. then he or she says all persons fall somewhere one that line. the more you favor liberty, the more right you are, the more you favor equality, the more left you are.

Don't take my word for it, ask around, any political science professor will say this is true. Once talking with a professor, he said "I do not understand my class, they are mostly Republicans, yet I am probably the only one who has the wealth to benefit from the Republican policies." Here enters what you are saying, they believe the Republicans support greater morality, which is partly true in many cases, yet Republicans have had time to act on the behalf of the 'moral majority', yet have done little! The tea party is more willing to make across the board commitments to gain votes,m yet it is a liberty "America First' party.

It is about time we took care of our own back yard and stopped being interventionists and backers of international corporations. I would be for it because it suite my needs, just as those who are against it, the realistic person would be against it because it does not support their needs. Politics is a practical profession.

genuineoriginal

they believe the Republicans support greater morality, which is partly true in many cases, yet Republicans have had time to act on the behalf of the 'moral majority', yet have done little!
It took me a while to catch on, but I finally learned that the Republican party is trying to move the country slowly away from individual rights and morality. (Of course, the Democrat party is trying to move it quickly in the same direction).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Tea Party movement is a good thing. They are all the right wingers that are not going to vote for liberal godless heathen republicans.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
yet Republicans have had time to act on the behalf of the 'moral majority', yet have done little!

a statement like this ignores the conservatives we now have on the court
and
it also ignores all the conservatives that were blocked by the democrats

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
I think this is you and many other persons take on the tea party. It most surly have some truth in it; however it is not the motivating or combining force to the grass-roots movement. The tea party is for people for individual right, local authority and states rights. The right to build on your property with a government permit, the right to do as one pleases with their own land, that light for liberty over equality.
Liberty and Equality are not diametrically-opposed ideas. (I would also argue that there can be no "right to build with a government permit." If government permission is required, there is no right attendant to it.) If, however, you are referring to the liberal idea of what Equality is, I would call it Slavery.
Have you not seen this is a college political science class? The professor draws a line across the board and on the right, it is liberty and on the left, it is equality. then he or she says all persons fall somewhere one that line. the more you favor liberty, the more right you are, the more you favor equality, the more left you are.
I believe "any political science professor" ought to take another look at his Equality - Liberty spectrum. The father away from liberty one gets, one gets slavery, not equality. I do believe we have an outstanding historical look at this called the French Revolution. At the end of it, with the execution of its founder and driving force, the French had none of the Liberty, Equality, Fraternity that was the movement's slogan and supposed goal.
Don't take my word for it, ask around, any political science professor will say this is true. Once talking with a professor, he said "I do not understand my class, they are mostly Republicans, yet I am probably the only one who has the wealth to benefit from the Republican policies." Here enters what you are saying, they believe the Republicans support greater morality, which is partly true in many cases, yet Republicans have had time to act on the behalf of the 'moral majority', yet have done little! The tea party is more willing to make across the board commitments to gain votes,m yet it is a liberty "America First' party.
The DC establishment Republican Party rejected the Moral Majority movement from its very inception. They paid lip service to it for two reasons, campaign money and votes. Once the Party got those, good-bye Moral Majority until the next election cycle.
It is about time we took care of our own back yard and stopped being interventionists and backers of international corporations. I would be for it because it suite my needs, just as those who are against it, the realistic person would be against it because it does not support their needs. Politics is a practical profession.
The "interventionist and international corporation" line is a good one, until one discovers that said interventionists and international corporations are big supporters of one-world government. If one thinks that international corporations, such as they are characterized, are antagonistic contenders for power, one would be sadly misled. However, it does make a wonderful sound-bite for the class warfare folks.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
It took me a while to catch on, but I finally learned that the Republican party is trying to move the country slowly away from individual rights and morality. (Of course, the Democrat party is trying to move it quickly in the same direction).
Good for you! You have diagnosed the post-Reagan situation in a couple of sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.