toldailytopic: Was the United States justified in fighting for their independence fro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstarrett

In what? To what? For what?

All manner of things, the king included. If I may indulge in a bit of "fluff," as you call it, again:

"Monarchy can easily be debunked, but watch the faces, mark well the debunkers. These are the men whose taproot in Eden has been cut: whom no rumour of the polyphony, the dance, can reach–men to whom pebbles laid in a row are more beautiful than an arch. Yet even if they desire mere equality, they cannot reach it. Where men are forbidden to honor a king, they honor millionaires, athletes or film stars instead–even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food, and it will gobble poison."

I know you won't accept that, and I don't think it's something I can teach you. You need to learn it for yourself, or not at all, I'm afraid.

Ah, yes. "Reverence," again.

Distrust of authority and a healthy skepticism in the powers that be is prudent, Sam, not simply rebellious.

We should certainly recognize that those in authority, including kings, can and do do bad things and can sometimes even become so bad as to merit resistance and overthrow. Even before that point, there is such a thing as Loyal Opposition. But that doesn't change the essential nature of the monarchical office as one that merits respect.

Moreover, I'd say that while we shouldn't rule out the possibility that our king is doing something bad, we should certainly extend him the same benefit of the doubt we'd give anyone else, and that you've gone way beyond "healthy skepticism."

I'd counter that a trust in the State is dangerous, slavish, and leads down a very dangerous path very quickly.

I don't like or trust the State; hence my great affection for the post-feudal European monarchical order of a minimal State and the feudal order of no State.

The idea that certain families are chosen by the almighty and are owed obedience and loyalty because of a genetic accident is pretty asinine, if you ask me, so I guess this is a push.

If you want to live on their land, it makes perfect sense.

Granite

Hall of Fame
All manner of things, the king included. If I may indulge in a bit of "fluff," as you call it, again...

Yes, yes, the same Lewis nonsense you've quoted before. There's nothing to learn there except the man was dead wrong and a product of his country...and you're following his example in learning the wrong lessons from the correct problems. That as a species we admire excellence--or the perception of it--seems apparent. That this is in fact born of the need for a crown to kneel before is a complete non-sequitar.

But that doesn't change the essential nature of the monarchical office as one that merits respect.

Again: based on what?

Moreover, I'd say that while we shouldn't rule out the possibility that our king is doing something bad, we should certainly extend him the same benefit of the doubt we'd give anyone else, and that you've gone way beyond "healthy skepticism."

This applies to any system of government whatsoever.

I don't like or trust the State.

You simply want to enshrine it in a singular figure who is to be obeyed as a God-appointed regent who derives his right to rule from the almighty. Oh. Got it.

HisServant

Is killing ones brother over greed ever a good idea?

America had the lowest taxes of all the british colonies at the time of the revolution.. and britian defended them at great cost.

I would say no.. we were not justified.. but it worked out better in the long run for both the USA and GB.

Samstarrett

Yes, yes, the same Lewis nonsense you've quoted before. There's nothing to learn there except the man was dead wrong and a product of his country...and you're following his example in learning the wrong lessons from the correct problems. That as a species we admire excellence--or the perception of it--seems apparent. That this is in fact born of the need for a crown to kneel before is a complete non-sequitar.

I told you I couldn't teach you this. But you asked to what I felt the showing of reverence would do no harm. I answered you.

Again: based on what?

Simply for what it is: kingship. Some things merit respect in themselves.

This applies to any system of government whatsoever.

No. We should not give politicians the same benefit of the doubt as everyone else, because they are greedy, selfish liars by nature, and more so than the average person. Kings, on the other hand, are no more likely to be greedy, selfish liars than anyone else.

You simply want to enshrine it in a singular figure who is to be obeyed as a God-appointed regent who derives his right to rule from the almighty. Oh. Got it.

And who will probably shrink the State to an unfathomably small size by modern standards and reduce its intrusions in our lives, while putting God and the family back at the center and humanizing the State, all of which will combine to make it much less worthy of your contempt, distrust, and hatred, though of course we must still be watchful.

Samstarrett

How about a better grasp of where the concept originated, period? I don't think that's asking for too much.

Kingship developed at different times in different cultures in different ways. I know more or less how it developed in post-Roman Empire Europe. What absolutely essential fact do you glean from some similar development elsewhere that you think should change my opinion?

Except the Union had not been founded on explicitly racist grounds. The CSA was. So the point stands: the Confederacy was clearly and specifically based on white supremacy and the enslavement of blacks, and the United States was not. Stephens' "cornerstone speech" directly pointed out the differences between the two nations.

Why does it matter whether a nation is founded on "explicitly racist grounds" if both its people and its most fundamental laws have always been and remain racist?

Samstarrett

An article on reverence that more or less sums up my views. I'm not sure, mind, that reverence can be defended exactly, any more than logic can be defended exactly. But I believe it's important and if you want to know what I think about it, there you are.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Kingship developed at different times in different cultures in different ways. I know more or less how it developed in post-Roman Empire Europe. What absolutely essential fact do you glean from some similar development elsewhere that you think should change my opinion?

Let's ask it another way: do you think you really have any idea what you're talking about by focusing on a narrow slice of history at the exclusion of other regions and epochs informed by the same monarchial system?

Why does it matter whether a nation is founded on "explicitly racist grounds" if both its people and its most fundamental laws have always been and remain racist?

Sam...

My point was simple, before you managed to try to tangle the discussion with your inherent dislike of me and your inability to agree with me on the smallest issue because of your ego. So I'll cut through the nonsense one more time and if you want to split off and form your own new thread on the subject, feel free, but I suspect since you generally just duck, cover, abandon threads, and never finish what you start here out of disinterest or laziness, you won't take me up on the offer. (Hopefully you're spending your free time reading more books.)

The CSA was explicitly founded on racist principles, and the USA was not. Simple as that, cut and dry. When I said American colonialists were on firmer moral ground than the Confederates in their quest for independence, it was this issue I had in mind. You have yet to address this, mostly, I think, because you can't actually bring yourself to agree with me even if I pointed out the sky was blue.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Simply for what it is: kingship. Some things merit respect in themselves.

That's not an answer...at all. Do you actually have some thoughts of your own on this subject? Saying that a king deserves respect "just because" is something I'd expect to hear on a playground when a kid's arguing about the superiority of his father compared to the other dads in the parking lot.

No. We should not give politicians the same benefit of the doubt as everyone else, because they are greedy, selfish liars by nature, and more so than the average person. Kings, on the other hand, are no more likely to be greedy, selfish liars than anyone else.

Your naivete is touching, childish, idiotic, and poorly-informed. In other words, exactly what a king would look for. Good serf.

When I see a "king" or "royal" (as they style themselves) these days I either see an out-of-touch figurehead, a warlord despot, or some upper class twit who likely suffers from poor health because Queen Victoria did. I don't see any so-called "royal" who's entitled to anything except to be kept out of sight to prevent the gullible from daydreaming about a return to the bad old days. And so far you're unable or unwilling to explain what entitles these arrogant and cold-blooded half-wits to "reverence."

Last edited:

Samstarrett

Let's ask it another way: do you think you really have any idea what you're talking about by focusing on a narrow slice of history at the exclusion of other regions and epochs informed by the same monarchial system?

It's not the same, just similar. And 1500+ years on a whole continent is hardly a narrow slice of history.

Sam...

My point was simple, before you managed to try to tangle the discussion with your inherent dislike of me and your inability to agree with me on the smallest issue because of your ego.

Whatever.

So I'll cut through the nonsense one more time and if you want to split off and form your own new thread on the subject, feel free,

No, I don't think so. It's not a terribly interesting tangent, I suppose. We can drop it.

but I suspect since you generally just duck, cover, abandon threads, and never finish what you start here out of disinterest or laziness, you won't take me up on the offer.

If you're referring to the Constitution thread, I had the last post there when last I checked, making it your turn. Or are you referring to something else?

(Hopefully you're spending your free time reading more books.)

In no small part.

The CSA was explicitly founded on racist principles, and the USA was not. Simple as that, cut and dry. When I said American colonialists were on firmer moral ground than the Confederates in their quest for independence, it was this issue I had in mind. You have yet to address this, mostly, I think, because you can't actually bring yourself to agree with me even if I pointed out the sky was blue.

Actually, I have addressed it, just not in a way you like. But like I said, it isn't really important.

Samstarrett

That's not an answer...at all.

It is my opinion. I'm not sure it can be rationally defended. I think it requires experiential confirmation. I believe that kingship deserves respect in itself. I don't expect you to agree or be convinced. If you asked me why the Deity deserved respect, I would give the same answer: Simply for what He is in Himself. Would you say this too was "not an answer?"

On further reflection, there may be other reasons too. I've proposed some at the bottom.

Do you actually have some thoughts of your own on this subject? Saying that a king deserves respect "just because" is something I'd expect to hear on a playground when a kid's arguing about the superiority of his father compared to the other dads in the parking lot.

Why does logic work? Why is 2+2 4? Some questions are senseless.

Your naivete is touching, childish, idiotic, and poorly-informed. In other words, exactly what a king would look for. Good serf.

Then enlighten me and explain why a king is more likely to be a naturally bad person than anyone else.

When I see a "king" or "royal" (as they style themselves) these days I either see an out-of-touch figurehead, a warlord despot, or some upper class twit who likely suffers from poor health because Queen Victoria did.

Have you considered glasses?

I don't see any so-called "royal" who's entitled to anything except to be kept out of sight to prevent the gullible from daydreaming about a return to the bad old
days.

They're entitled to the crowns they rightfully inherited from their ancestors, the same as anyone is to inherited property.

And so far you're unable or unwilling to explain what entitles these arrogant and cold-blooded half-wits to "reverence."

What they embody: divine order, tradition, national identity, legitimate authority, kingship, the works.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It's not the same, just similar. And 1500+ years on a whole continent is hardly a narrow slice of history.

You're kidding me, right?

Whatever.

Point stands, big guy.

No, I don't think so. It's not a terribly interesting tangent, I suppose. We can drop it.

Couldn't possibly have a thing to do with the fact that you're out of your depth and can't speak to the subject. Right?:rolleyes:

Actually, I have addressed it, just not in a way you like. But like I said, it isn't really important.

Not really. You made some fairly silly remarks and when I countered with facts you suddenly wanted to drop the subject. Pretty transparent, Sammy.

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
It is my opinion. I'm not sure it can be rationally defended.

Isn't that convenient...

I believe that kingship deserves respect in itself.

Well, that's nice. And here I was thinking we'd be able to talk like adults here.:idunno:

Why does logic work? Why is 2+2 4? Some questions are senseless.

Non-sequitar: we're not talking about the rational steps taken by the human mind, we're talking about a rather stupendous claim made by you that seems to have no basis whatsoever outside your own bias.

Then enlighten me and explain why a king is more likely to be a naturally bad person than anyone else.

A democratically-elected counterpart does not believe he or she is endowed by divine right to rule. A head of state chosen by the people does not entertain the notion that they are descended from a bloodline preserved by the almighty--and by his or her ancestors--to maintain a pure, insular genetic stream that cannot be corrupted by common blood. A democratic leader is forced to be exposed to the people. There are none of the trappings of the throne that have led so many monarchs to abuse their power because of the fairy tales they've been told since a young age. Simply put, a king can do--and they have done--more damage, and why shouldn't they?

Have you considered glasses?

Just got a fresh pair yesterday, though I prefer contacts. And the point stands, your attempt at a dodge not withstanding. If you want to fawn over a pack of Germanic buck-toothed grotesques, knock yourself out.

They're entitled to the crowns they rightfully inherited from their ancestors, the same as anyone is to inherited property.

Rightfully, hmmm. At the expense of who and what? How far would you say their "rights" extend today? How far would you allow them to make their "claims" these days? Why is some schlub holding on to his sinecure and a tradition of stupid hats "entitled" to anything today?

What they embody: divine order, tradition, national identity, legitimate authority, kingship, the works.

Divine order: See above for the dangers posed by this delusion.

Tradition: All well and good, but the times do a-change.

National identity: A nice idea, but a monarch's certainly not necessary for it.

"Legitimate" authority: Based on what? Explain what constitutes "illegitimate" authority.

Kingship: Well duh. :rolleyes:

john_aurelius

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 4th, 2011 09:28 AM

toldailytopic: Was the United States justified in fighting for their independence from Britain?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Not being American, and not wishing to offend anyone again :madmad:

I think if you'd have waited you would've gotten the reforms you wanted. After all, India was given up without a fight.

South Africa and Rhodesia are independant

Canada appears none the worse for remaining in the Commonwealth

Australia, NZ are doing fine at the moment. We dont pay taxes to England anymore, nor does the crown interfere in our Aussie way of life.

Still, it was the choice your forefathers made. George III was certainly not a particularly good king.

In terms of it being a just war? Perhaps, I certainly feel my blood boil when my tax dollars are wasted, it feels like a lot of hard earned work was flushed by the govt :comeout:

but I bet your current govt foes this as well anyway. irrespective of the administration.

But you do get a vote, you might have gotten one anyway, Aus does have a vote, so does NZ and Canada. and Shock, horror, even the British do.......

Perhaps one could argue that they were rebelling against Romans 13:1-5. After all if George III was mad by divine right, Nero was well you know, divinely mad.

Samstarrett

...but I suspect since you generally just duck, cover, abandon threads, and never finish what you start here out of disinterest or laziness...

On reflection, I think this may in some cases be a valid criticism of me. In other cases, though, I have to ask: How many rounds of futile running in circles while you generally ignore(neither concede nor rebut) important parts of my posts must I endure before I have "finished" what I started? Certainly if we must come to an agreement we'll most likely both die before "finishing" this discussion.

Samstarrett

You're kidding me, right?

No. The span of recorded history, according to Wikipedia, is roughly 5000 years. That makes 1500 years 30% of recorded history. Europe(including all of Russia) has an area of just over 15% of the world's land area. Multiplying that by my 1500 years, we get about 4.6% of recorded history, not accounting for Europe's disproportionate importance or its colonial possessions, which covered a large part of the world for a while there. Considering the massive length and span of recorded history, I'd say a twentieth of it is nothing to be sneezed at, especially when that twentieth is limited in size by the geographical smallness of the historically very important(to the whole world) European continent.

Moreover, your repeated general assaults on my claimed ignorance of history have still failed to produce a single salient point drawn from the history which you say is so important and of which I am allegedly ignorant. In all probability, this is because I am right when I say that history is of secondary importance to theory in a discussion of this nature.

Point stands, big guy.

It was as much a personal attack as a point, if not more. And OK, it stands, as much as it ever did, which wasn't much. It amounts to you ignoring a key question and launching an ad hom.

Couldn't possibly have a thing to do with the fact that you're out of your depth and can't speak to the subject. Right?:rolleyes:

Well, if I'm not mistaken, it was you who were unable or unwilling to answer my question about why it matters whether a country is "explicitly founded on racism" if both its people and its laws are racist on the deepest level. So I'd say, no, it couldn't possibly have a thing to do with that.

Not really. You made some fairly silly remarks and when I countered with facts you suddenly wanted to drop the subject. Pretty transparent, Sammy.

No, you wanted to drop the subject, or so I thought from your exasperated remarks about "one more time" and "another thread." I merely agreed to it. Unless you really want to start another futile thread between the two of us...

Granite

Hall of Fame
Moreover, your repeated general assaults on my claimed ignorance of history have still failed to produce a single salient point drawn from the history which you say is so important and of which I am allegedly ignorant. In all probability, this is because I am right when I say that history is of secondary importance to theory in a discussion of this nature.

If you don't understand the history of monarchial rule you're taking it out of context. I don't know how many different ways I can say this.

It was as much a personal attack as a point, if not more. And OK, it stands, as much as it ever did, which wasn't much. It amounts to you ignoring a key question and launching an ad hom.

Which question?

Well, if I'm not mistaken, it was you who were unable or unwilling to answer my question about why it matters whether a country is "explicitly founded on racism" if both its people and its laws are racist on the deepest level.

I don't know what country you have in mind, so that makes it a little difficult to answer. If you're referring to the US you've just managed to insult your own country, but that's not really surprising.

No, you wanted to drop the subject, or so I thought from your exasperated remarks about "one more time" and "another thread."

Drop, no, although it does deserve its own thread if you want to go there. I'll show up. Fire away.

Samstarrett

Isn't that convenient...

Not really, as it leaves me without much of an argument. But as I said, it's an experiential thing. I've experienced it. You presumably have not. What can I say?

Well, that's nice. And here I was thinking we'd be able to talk like adults here.:idunno:

Something must deserve respect in itself if we are to respect anything. If you ask me why you should respect kings and I say "because they embody tradition," you may ask why you should respect tradition. If I say you should respect tradition because it is the source of collective identity for a nation, you may ask why you should respect a nation's identity. And so on ad infinitum. That's why I'm not aware of any way to settle this argument on rational grounds unless we start sharing respect of something that could lead us to respect of the king. And I can't think of anything that fulfills that role between you and me, not even God.

Non-sequitar: we're not talking about the rational steps taken by the human mind, we're talking about a rather stupendous claim made by you that seems to have no basis whatsoever outside your own bias.

And my experience of the divine polyphony, the dance, something I can't give you or expect to convince you with, though I doubt you can advance a compelling argument against it. But see above.

A democratically-elected counterpart does not believe he or she is endowed by divine right to rule.

Given the notion of the will of the people as the sole and complete source of legitimate power, he has something worse. Why is it worse? Because kings, at least in the medieval Western tradition, were considered not only to reign by divine right, but to have divine duties that went with that. The king was subject to the natural law and to the divine law, and he believed that he would have to make account in the Day of Judgment for any misgovernment of his people. Moreover, the king was conceived primarily not as a legislator of a higher(public) law but as an enforcer and discoverer of the same(private) law that bound everyone else, despite his privileged place within it. Democracy, in other words, has all of the entitlement with none of the restraints.

A head of state chosen by the people does not entertain the notion that they are descended from a bloodline preserved by the almighty--and by his or her ancestors--to maintain a pure, insular genetic stream that cannot be corrupted by common blood.

And does not thus have the weight of tradition and duty and fear of God to bind him to rule rightly. No thanks.

A democratic leader is forced to be exposed to the people.

Oh, one aside: can I conclude from all this that you do support democracy after all?

Now to your point: Could you elaborate? Does this mean you think Barack Obama is better informed about the problems really affecting his people than say, Queen Elizabeth, and is dedicated or has an incentive to be dedicated to doing something about it?

There are none of the trappings of the throne that have led so many monarchs to abuse their power because of the fairy tales they've been told since a young age.

I highly doubt that monarchs who abuse their power do so because they believe they have been entrusted with a divine fief to govern on the Lord's behalf.

Simply put, a king can do--and they have done--more damage,

Not really, no. The economic, religious and social collapse of Europe today is part and parcel of the democratic order. Monarchs never got society even close to this level of decay, at least not since the fall of the Roman Empire.

and why shouldn't they?

Among other reasons? Because they fear the judgment of God.

Just got a fresh pair yesterday, though I prefer contacts. And the point stands, your attempt at a dodge not withstanding.

More a pack of unfounded insults than a point. Here's an article, for instance, about how His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales is in better touch with the public than the ministers a lot of the time.

If you want to fawn over a pack of Germanic buck-toothed grotesques, knock yourself out.

Do you have anything to add besides contempt and insults?

Rightfully, hmmm. At the expense of who and what?

Sounds like you're asking me to criticize monarchy. That's your job, if memory serves. But I'd say it's at the expense of politicians, governments, irreligion, secularism, and spurious equality.

How far would you say their "rights" extend today?

Each to a different extent depending on the particular constitution and traditions of their particular monarchies. Pick one and I'll give a more exact answer.

How far would you allow them to make their "claims" these days?

As far as those claims are legitimate. You will probably complain that this is a non-answer, but it's the best I can do absent the facts of a particular case.

Why is some schlub holding on to his sinecure and a tradition of stupid hats "entitled" to anything today?

For the last time: it was the property of his ancestors and passed to him in due course. And why all this focus on "today?" Has the fundamental nature of good government or property rights changed recently?

Divine order: See above for the dangers posed by this delusion.

See above for my answers on why the alternative is worse. But of course I don't expect you to value divine order, being an atheist. You must confess, though, that by the believer it must be reckoned as a good.

Tradition: All well and good, but the times do a-change.

I'd wager you have no real respect for tradition at all. Would I win?

National identity: A nice idea, but a monarch's certainly not necessary for it.

I didn't say he is. I said he embodies it.

"Legitimate" authority: Based on what?

Property.

Explain what constitutes "illegitimate" authority.

In the strictest sense, there is no such thing, as illegitimate authority is no authority at all. In a looser sense, illegitimate authority would be that founded on theft, where one substitutes one authority for another without just cause.

Kingship: Well duh. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's obvious, but I think it's as valid a reason as the others.

Last edited:

Samstarrett

If you don't understand the history of monarchial rule you're taking it out of context. I don't know how many different ways I can say this.

OK, maybe. So what specific conclusion do you draw from the context I am allegedly ignoring that invalidates any of my points?

Which question?

"Why does it matter whether a country is explicitly founded on racism if both its people and its laws are racist on the most fundamental level?"

I don't know what country you have in mind, so that makes it a little difficult to answer. If you're referring to the US you've just managed to insult your own country, but that's not really surprising.

Yes, the US. And it's not an insult. It's a fact. The majority of whites in the US at the time were racist and the laws they laid down reflected this. Do you deny that?

Drop, no, although it does deserve its own thread if you want to go there. I'll show up. Fire away.

What do you think for a title, then? Maybe Were the Continentals On Better Moral Ground in Their Rebellion Than the Confederates?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Not really, as it leaves me without much of an argument.

At least that's honest. I appreciate it.

But as I said, it's an experiential thing. I've experienced it. You presumably have not. What can I say?

...so you're implying that other believers who don't sign on for the idea of monarchy are less enlightened than you are?

Something must deserve respect in itself if we are to respect anything.

I would say any kind of respect is earned, not intrinsic. That seems to be one of the biggest differences between the two of us.

If you ask me why you should respect kings and I say "because they embody tradition," you may ask why you should respect tradition.

Tradition's fine; tradition has its place. But any answer you provide along these lines goes back to the difference I noted above--you believe these values, so called, as embodied in an individual, are intrinsic simply because of genetic fortune and because of an ancient concept we've carried with us since the stone age. That doesn't so much answer the why as it does explain the what.

If I say you should respect tradition because it is the source of collective identity for a nation, you may ask why you should respect a nation's identity.

I'm not a nationalist so this point probably means less to me than to others, although I see where you're coming from. (That said, you don't seem to be a respecter of your own national identity or its traditions so I can't imagine why you think you can lecture me on either concept.)

And my experience of the divine polyphony, the dance, something I can't give you or expect to convince you with, though I doubt you can advance a compelling argument against it. But see above.

Ditto. Christian monarchists are an exceedingly small minority in this country, so I can only conclude you believe the vast majority of your brethern simply aren't as informed/enlightened as you are.

Given the notion of the will of the people as the sole and complete source of legitimate power, he has something worse.

Many if not most Christian leaders throughout American history wouldn't go that far, but even if their secular counterparts did--but wait, I'll hold off for the rest.

Because kings, at least in the medieval Western tradition, were considered not only to reign by divine right, but to have divine duties that went with that. The king was subject to the natural law and to the divine law, and he believed that he would have to make account in the Day of Judgment for any misgovernment of his people.

I suspect many kings paid lip service to divine considerations just as our leaders today offer platitudes for the sake of convenience. Even if they were sincere then, and were sincere today, a nuclear world being led by men and women who believe they are divinely inspired and responsible is a frightful prospect. We see the way religious zealotry goes.

Moreover, the king was conceived primarily not as a legislator of a higher(public) law but as an enforcer and discoverer of the same(private) law that bound everyone else, despite his privileged place within it. Democracy, in other words, has all of the entitlement with none of the restraints.

Any functional representative government has checks and balances, and you know that full well.

And does not thus have the weight of tradition and duty and fear of God to bind him to rule rightly. No thanks.

This is only worthwhile if you can demonstrate that this fear is one hundred percent effective, or even fruitful.

Does this mean you think Barack Obama is better informed about the problems really affecting his people than say, Queen Elizabeth, and is dedicated or has an incentive to be dedicated to do something about it?

Obama certainly has an incentive to stay informed and responsive in that he's an incumbent running for re-election. At the end of the day neither of us knows what goes on in his head, or Elizabeth's, for that matter.

I highly doubt that monarchs who abuse their power do so because they believe they have been entrusted with a divine fief to govern on the Lord's behalf.

...because religious inspiration and zeal has never driven anyone to abuse their power. Of course. Silly of me.

Not really, no. The economic, religious and social collapse of Europe today is part and parcel of the democratic order. Monarchs never got society even close to this level of decay, at least not since the fall of the Roman Empire.

Europe was ripped apart by warfare on an epic scale by monarchs and for monarchs...for centuries. I'm not sure what level of "decay" you're referring to, unless you mean the increasing secularism of Europe. Time has marched on and left the queens and kings behind, to be sure. They're relics and reminders of the bad old days--trench warfare and mustard gas were part of their closing act.

Among other reasons? Because they fear the judgment of God.

How is this unique to a monarch, as opposed to another head of state? Do you believe this is yet another intrinsic royal quality?

Here's an article, for instance, about how His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales is in better touch with the public than the ministers a lot of the time.

So the sour-faced two-timer does something other than shoot skeet in his spare hours. How nice. If you're going to defend the lifestyles of the rich and famous I'll reach for a spittoon, thank you.

Do you have anything to add besides contempt and insults?

Do you have anything other than a childish fawning idiotic and servile fascination with these twits? Twits who wouldn't look at you twice and who hold you in as much respect as they do the rest of the rabble? Grow up.

Sounds like you're asking me to criticize monarchy. That's your job, if memory serves.

If you can't bring yourself to criticize any given system of government I'd say you trust it far too much.

Each to a different extent depending on the particular constitution and traditions of their particular monarchies. Pick one and I'll give a more exact answer.

Well. Britain has no singular constitution. Your turn.

As far as those claims are legitimate. You will probably complain that this is a non-answer, but it's the best I can do absent the facts of a particular case.

Complain, no. Observe, yes.

For the last time: it was the property of his ancestors and passed to him in due course.

Unless, of course, the property's fallen into different hands today. There's simply no guarantee over time that every property a monarch previously owned or inherited is in their hands at present. That's why I asked how far you think their entitlements should extend at the moment.

And why all this focus on "today?" Has the fundamental nature of good government or property rights changed recently?

See above.

Of course I don't expect you to value divine order, being an atheist. You must confess, though, that by the believer it must be reckoned as a good.

And I expect most Christians especially in this country would think you're either eccentric or nuts. Go fish.

I'd wager you have no real respect for tradition at all. Would I win?

:chuckle: In all seriousness--I've been here for a while, and every time a Christian's here has said "Granite, I bet you probably such-and-such," they lose. And you'd bust on this particular hand too.

I didn't say he is. I said he embodies it.

Okay. Is this necessary for a nation?

Property.

What if it's lost or reclaimed?

In the strictest sense, there is no such thing, as illegitimate authority is no authority at all. In a looser sense, illegitimate authority would be that founded on theft, where one substitutes one authority for another without just cause.

I'll have to chew on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.