toldailytopic: Tiger Woods. Do you think he is truly repentant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

Well

Well

Truly repentant. Maybe...When he thinks about all that extra cash flow that he had. And the Buick's he had for loaners.

Yes in a way . . . It's Bud-ism, Bud-ism: Golf buddies. Which I suppose some are glad he's back; others are :mmph: about the competition being back; still others, will learn from his mistakes and example (maybe he'll give lessons, shame on me). I do not think Bud-ism will show him the door.​

That could be a long list.​

While we wait to hear public sentiment . . .

Extra! Extra! Pete Rose is inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

President Barak Obama converts to the real thing . . . Christianity.

USAC/IRL will outlaw rear engine cars, and resurrect the Kurtis Kraft, Watson, Kuzma and Saliah (pronounced Sally) Indy 500 roadsters with Offenhauser engines.

. . . Then I awoke from my dream.​

Those are the operative words: Sorry - He got caught.

For myself . . . There have things in my life that I have done, yes I was sorry I got caught; but then one day it all changed because of Jesus. After I very tearfully repented and confessed all that stuff to Jesus, and accepted Him as my Savior, I made things right with as many as possible.

Yes I still have those days when I am less than a Christian, and I find that Jesus is my for and greater Savior, forgiver.​

I tend to think that most celebrites are either whores or whoremongers. They don't matter to me. However,if a person evinces a contrite heart and asks for forgiveness, that is between him/her and God. bybee

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

What a pathetic loser! This guy isn't worth the scum on another piece of scum's shoe. :vomit:

I forgive him

Wow, you mean he sinned against you, too?! :doh:

I admit I am a bit surprised they haven't waited longer to try and polish this turd. I mean seriously... it seems like just yesterday we were hearing about his 16th mistress.

Normally, they wait a bit longer because they know the public is so stupid they will just forget all the evil stuff he did and welcome him right back into the fold.

I think deep down the public knows the pattern and how the game is to be played out so they're pretty much just deciding to hurry things along in their "forgiveness."

I think that he is truly sorry - that he got caught.

I also think that the biggest lesson he learned is that he will need to be MUCH more discrete with future affairs.

This sums up his "sorrow" and

lesson learned to a T.

Shows how much I've followed this whole thing, that I didn't even know they had kids. Still...she should have devoted a bit of her time to keeping hubby in line.

I think sometimes there can be some truth to this. It reminds me of the Faith Hill incident when she and husband Tim McGraw were totally disrespected at a concert when he was touched inappropriately by a fan. She put that fan in her place real quick.

:argue::maxi::sozo2::AoO:

:D

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:idunno: I have absolutely no idea.....

:plain:

:think: Oddly enough I can't really say that I care.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I think sometimes there can be some truth to this. It reminds me of the Faith Hill incident when she and husband Tim McGraw were totally disrespected at a concert when he was touched inappropriately by a fan. She put that fan in her place real quick.

:argue::maxi::sozo2::AoO:

:D
This reminds me of a discussion along these lines that me and Matt had a long while back. Not to get into the particulars but I realized the vague point that seemed to be interfering with our agreement was that he considered preventing me from being seduced by other men something he should be concerned with.

That got my back up right quick. I mean I got pretty darned snarky right about then. What a caveman mentality! What, is the little woman so weak that whether or not some random jerk off the street having any success getting into my pants predicated on whether he was there to properly run interference?

Seriously?

:madmad:

Naturally he just tossed 1 Corinthians 7:5 out there and said if I was fine holding up my end of that and letting him off the hook...well, great then. The point being that scripture right there assumes we both lack self-control enough that we, as conscientious spouses, should actually take steps to address that.

Basically, if I'm going to see it as both my right and my duty as a wife to smack the ho's that come around, I should grant that it's his right and duty as a husband as well to do the same. Against which I have no argument. Hence, the position I've taken here.

Consequently I'm quite territorial and not only have no problem with him being so as well but in fact expect it. This is something we do both for ourselves and for one another. This isn't a matter of lacking trust but of simply being realistic.

zoo22

:mmph:
If you're really having trouble understanding what I said, I'll restate it to make it more clear.

If he's as full of himself as he seems to me to be, then there's no room for repentance.

Better?

If you're okay with the judgment you unleashed regarding both of them (he and his wife), that's your call.

bybee

Agreed

Agreed

This reminds me of a discussion along these lines that me and Matt had a long while back. Not to get into the particulars but I realized the vague point that seemed to be interfering with our agreement was that he considered preventing me from being seduced by other men something he should be concerned with.

That got my back up right quick. I mean I got pretty darned snarky right about then. What a caveman mentality! What, is the little woman so weak that whether or not some random jerk off the street having any success getting into my pants predicated on whether he was there to properly run interference?

Seriously?

:madmad:

Naturally he just tossed 1 Corinthians 7:5 out there and said if I was fine holding up my end of that and letting him off the hook...well, great then. The point being that scripture right there assumes we both lack self-control enough that we, as conscientious spouses, should actually take steps to address that.

Basically, if I'm going to see it as both my right and my duty as a wife to smack the ho's that come around, I should grant that it's his right and duty as a husband as well to do the same. Against which I have no argument. Hence, the position I've taken here.

Consequently I'm quite territorial and not only have no problem with him being so as well but in fact expect it. This is something we do both for ourselves and for one another. This isn't a matter of lacking trust but of simply being realistic.

My husband was very watchful. So was I! If any slimey floozy had thoughts of hitting on my man I'd have snatched her bald! as the saying goes! bybee

Quincy

I believe he is sorry he got caught and that he hurt his mother. I've never met a person I'd believe a word from on the repentance deal. People are just sorry they got caught and beg for forgiveness so they don't get in trouble. They know what they are doing when they do it, they just think they can get away with it.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
I believe he is sorry he got caught and that he hurt his mother. I've never met a person I'd believe a word from on the repentance deal. People are just sorry they got caught and beg for forgiveness so they don't get in trouble. They know what they are doing when they do it, they just think they can get away with it.

Okay, come on. That's just way too cynical. You, yourself, have never done anything you were sorry for that you didn't get caught at? And if you have then you can bet everyone else has too, unless you think you're unique in that regard.

Believing someone else is repentant when they say they are is another matter, sure. But you should at least grant your average folk are quite capable of repenting and so discounting all claims to repentance is just unreasonable.

Not trying to pick a fight, just making a point. And I'll even grant that one should be wary of judging such things naively. I myself tend to go about this in a backasswards manner. I want to believe people when they claim repentance but inject what I think is a healthy dose of cynicism into that, rather than the other way around.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 8th, 2010 09:52 AM

toldailytopic: Tiger Woods. Do you think he is truly repentant?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I actually think he is. He could just be a good actor though.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Apparently it hasn't affected his ability to play golf.

On talk radio today, some people were saying that if Tiger plays well it will actually be a bad thing because it will mean that he's able to just put this whole incident out of his mind and play good golf. Whereas, someone who was truly sorry and upset about it wouldn't be able to focus enough to play golf.

zoo22

Out of curiosity, do you place yourself in the "most people" category?

Quincy

Okay, come on. That's just way too cynical. You, yourself, have never done anything you were sorry for that you didn't get caught at? And if you have then you can bet everyone else has too, unless you think you're unique in that regard.

I guess I should have been a little more clear there. I can believe people are capable of feeling sorrow or guilt. I can believe they want to make amends for their actions. I just don't believe anyone when they say it. It's hard to judge whether or not they mean it, they are just trying to get sympathy, or if they just fear retribution without understanding why what they did was wrong in the first place. I don't see how you can take someone's words on good faith that they are genuinely sorry. I want to see them prove it with honorable actions.

Me personally? I don't often apologize to be honest, and when I have it's because of basically being forced to. It's not from a lack of doing dumb stuff I can promise you that MC, but mostly because I don't think words really fix things. Anyone who knows me personally though will say I will go far out of my way to make things up to them over time though. They tend to be quite angry with me at first, :chuckle: . I can understand sometimes people just want to hear an "I'm sorry" but it just don't feel right to me.

The only way I could see proving I'm sorry or believing them is by honorable actions over time. I just don't believe people when they make statements about their past actions, I want to see a change in their actions. The person is and will always be the sum of their parts in my eyes though, same as I am who I am.

To me I won't believe a word Tiger says about this until several years pass and he has no more incidents.

Quincy

Out of curiosity, do you place yourself in the "most people" category?

Do you mean mainstream? Not really, I'm the only child who basically raised himself type. Never have more than 3 or so friends, travels often, finds most people profound and needlessly grandiose. In regards to this thread, I do tons of dumb stuff same as anyone, but you can read about that in my previous post, Zoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.