toldailytopic: The rapture. When will it happen and what will it be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I don’t believe Christians should try to change the world. Its Satan’s planet, Satan is the prince of the planet.

What we are supposed to do is stay firm in our beliefs, and be a light to the rest of the world by telling the rest of the world about Jesus Christ.

So, changing the planet will accomplish nothing. Christians that are activists for things like world peace, abortion, animal rights, save the environment, etc are just wasting their time.

Most Christian activists are really just filling their desire for self righteousness.

You have a message, yet clouded by your own secular thinking. This is not 'Satan's planet'. although Satan may have influence, he does not own us, thus not his.

The first duty of a Christian is to spread the Gospel of Grace. We should care about the earth, peace and human life, but you need to discern what God wants from us, from secularists values that lead away from God, such as the concept of 'animal rights' for that implicitly links us with the beasts.

The secularist movement in man, or human centered, it creates its own morality to replace that which God wants. It uses words like racism, sexism, and the more extreme forms of lesbian separatists and animal rights to convince young people it is all part of the same morality and being man centered, it proclaims man can save himself without God. It goes on to proclaim the God"s plan is inferior to the enlightened humanist.

God wants us to love him above all earthly things; to spread the Gospel and to help other come to the Body of Christ. Do not confuse the desire of God with the desire on man alone.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: The rapture. When will it happen and what will it be like?

The rapture, when will it happen?

It will happen.

When will happen?

I believe it is like . . .

Secret things and things revealed . . .

The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.
Deuteronomy 29:29

As I see it, the rapture, being caught up, the gathering away, etc., is like the mystery of the ages. Like looking through a misty veil knowing only in part, and then having it lifted and then knowing fully, and then "Halleluiah!" I can hardly wait, but I'll have to patiently wait until the day God calls me home either by death, or that grand and glorious gathering away. I believe that there are things that remain secret, hidden, and a mystery until the event or events take place, when the Lord's time piece chimes out the hour has come.

What will it be like?

I believe it will be like nothing we (the redeemed, blood washed, saved, born again) have ever experienced on this earth. There is an old hymn that is title, "Joy Unspeakable, Full Of Glory", the last line of the chorus states, "Oh, the half has never yet been told."

Maybe what Paul wrote expresses it . . .

1 Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written:
"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."

In the meantime, Jesus said . . .
Mark 13:37
"And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!"

I do believe we need to ready, I believe the moment we are caught up will come at time we do not expect.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I am so ready to be alive again in heaven. But what about Bob? I had a strange dream a few years back; I was praying to Jesus, asking about how I can love Jesus more than Bob, then in the dream I was in Bob's arms and Jesus came and lifted both of us up.

Can this be the rapture, are we both to see the end? I do not know, it might mean we will die together, or that Jesus understands my loyalty and love for my husband, and it might be just a dream.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
“Rapture” is not in the Bible. It will never happen.

It was something that John Nelson Darby created that was based on the dream of a teenage girl name Margret McDonald in the early 1800’s. Margret had a dream that Jesus would return twice. Darby took the dream and created the rapture, the great tribulation, the second coming of Christ, and the millennial rule (a.k.a. Dispensationalism)

When Christ returns it will be His final return. All believers will be caught up in the air with him, and then the graves will open and all believers from the past will be taken up also.

Then comes Judgment Day.

There will be others here at TOL can give a better explanation and teaching on this "Rapture" question than I can.

Not being a Bible scholar, but a Bible student, I do offer this . . . Yes the word "Rapture" is not in the Bible. Maybe it is in some translation that is not on the top ten religious book seller list.

Christian's (I'm one) who believe and except the idea of the "Rapture" refered to First Thessalonians chapter three, verses thirteen to eighteen.

1 Thessalonians. 4:13-18
13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Defined: Rapture: Christianity, applied to the second coming of Jesus Christ when true believers are expected to rise up to join Him in heaven.

However, I believe that the gathering away and the Second Coming of Jesus are two seperate events.

Caught up

Caught
harpazo, Greek 726, Strong’s Concordance, har-pad'-zo; from a derivative of Greek 138 (haireomai); to seize (in various applications) :- catch (away, up), pluck, pull, take (by force).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
“Rapture” is not in the Bible. It will never happen.

It was something that John Nelson Darby created that was based on the dream of a teenage girl name Margret McDonald in the early 1800’s. Margret had a dream that Jesus would return twice. Darby took the dream and created the rapture, the great tribulation, the second coming of Christ, and the millennial rule (a.k.a. Dispensationalism)

When Christ returns it will be His final return. All believers will be caught up in the air with him, and then the graves will open and all believers from the past will be taken up also.

Then comes Judgment Day.
Who said Christ will return for the rapture? Christ will only return once. The rapture is where the Christians leave this planet. Two separate events.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Who said Christ will return for the rapture? Christ will only return once. The rapture is where the Christians leave this planet. Two separate events.

(1 Thessalonians 4:16) For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout,

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Christian's (I'm one) who believe and except the idea of the "Rapture" refered to First Thessalonians chapter three, verses thirteen to eighteen.[/COLOR]

Hi Psalmist:

I am familiar with the scriptures that are used by dispensationalists to support the rapture. I was a dispensationalist for 20 years, and used to believe in the rapture myself.

I don’t believe a Christian’s eschatological beliefs have anything to do with whether they are saved or not. Therefore, whether one is a pre-trib, mid-trib, post-trib, amillennial, premillennial, etc, it is good to know that one day Christ will come for us.

But in the meantime, since this is a theology forum, I enjoy debating/discussing it, as I believe that it’s part of each believers spiritual growth to know what God’s word says about the future.

Thanks

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
To all the believers who are in agreement that there will one day be a rapture, my advice is to take some time and study when the rapture doctrine first appeared, by whom said it, and the circumstances that existed.

The “rapture” was unheard of less than 200 years ago.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's not the rapture.

Ok, then tell me which scripture you believe says there will be a rapture.

For the record, many rapture proponets say the 1 Thess 4 passage refers to the rapture.

See the following:

Christian's (I'm one) who believe and except the idea of the "Rapture" refered to First Thessalonians chapter three, verses thirteen to eighteen.[/COLOR]

1 Thessalonians. 4:13-18
13 But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.
18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Great questions.

I, for one, am not trying to change the world.

You must not have kids. I don't want a world where abortion and euthanasia are the norm. I don't want a world full of pollution or political tyrants. I do not want a world where Christians are persecuted and killed routinely. I don't want a world where women and kids are marginalized in education, vocation, etc. I don't want a world with sex slavery, hunger, poverty, etc.

Thankfully, many great Christians who have changed the destinies of nations and individuals did not have your passive mentality (nor did Jesus and Paul, world-changers through changed lives that affected more than the spirit).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Not too many Christians agree with me. Especially the owner of this site and those of the Denver Bible Church that are big on fighting abortion.

If abortion ceased today, and there never was another abortion ever, this would still be Satan’s planet, there would still be murder, war, rape, theft, etc. Christians are fooled into thinking that they can make Satan’s planet a better place.

If they redirected their efforts into preaching the gospel to unbelievers, and learning God’s word (reading the Bible), they would be doing what they are supposed to be doing instead of trying to fix Satan’s planet.

What they do is no different than the Christian mothers who go to Washington DC to try to stop wars. Christ said that there will be wars and rumors of wars until He returns, but that doesn’t stop the Christians from trying to stop the wars.

My job is not to fix Satan's planet.

God is Lord of heaven and earth. It is his planet, not Satan's. There is a pocket of rebellion from Satan and his followers and there is spiritual warfare.

You fail to understand the now, but not yet, kingdom teaching of Christ (rule of God).

God is Creator and Satan is usurper. We are to war against him and take back territory, not hand over God's planet to him by default. Victory will not be fully achieved until the new heavens/earth, but this is not excuse to let Satan go unopposed or to call it his planet. 'This is my Father's world...' (hymnist).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
(1 Thessalonians 4:16) For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout,

He comes for the Church and meets them half way and returns to heaven. When he comes back with the church, he will fully touch down in Jerusalem to rule/reign with us for 1000 years (7 years separate rapture/revelation, two phases of His coming for/with).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
To all the believers who are in agreement that there will one day be a rapture, my advice is to take some time and study when the rapture doctrine first appeared, by whom said it, and the circumstances that existed.

The “rapture” was unheard of less than 200 years ago.

Pre-millennialism goes back to the early church. It was only later (Augustine/allegory) that other views waxed and waned. Just because Darby taught something does not mean it was unheard of or that he invented it. We argue from Scripture, not from a best seller by one author.

Eschatology was not the biggest fish to fry in light of Christological, soteriological controversies that preoccupied the church. It is not surprising that as we get closer to His coming that there would be renewed interest (we also have settled other doctrinal issues, so eschatology, Open Theism, dispensationalism, etc. are being explored).

SaulToPaul 2

I don't want a world where abortion and euthanasia are the norm. I don't want a world full of pollution or political tyrants. I do not want a world where Christians are persecuted and killed routinely. I don't want a world where women and kids are marginalized in education, vocation, etc. I don't want a world with sex slavery, hunger, poverty, etc.

"this present evil world" - Apostle Paul

Good luck. Only the reign of the Lord Jesus Christ will substantially and permanently change things.
Our goal isn't to change the world, but to call a people out from among the world.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't want a world where abortion and euthanasia are the norm.

Why? Aren't you leaving soon? Isn't everything you do ultimately futile given the coming reign of the Beast?

I don't want a world full of pollution or political tyrants. I do not want a world where Christians are persecuted and killed routinely.

See above. This is exactly the kind of world you think is inevitable, gr.

I don't want a world where women and kids are marginalized in education, vocation, etc. I don't want a world with sex slavery, hunger, poverty, etc.

On and on. You may not want any of it, but you certainly think that's precisely what's in store.

You're talking about polishing brass on the Titanic.

gsweet

Not to derail the conversation, but STP and Tetelestai: Do either of you have a desire to positively change things on this planet? This is not meant to be a derogatory or pessimistic remark, by the way. I'm genuinely curious. If your outlook for the world is one of predetermined death and destruction, and you're just "waiting" it out (so to speak), do you ever find yourself wanting to help those in need? Those who require aid in this world?

Status
Not open for further replies.