toldailytopic: The devil made me do it. What role does the devil play in our daily li

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 21st, 2010 11:37 AM

toldailytopic: The devil made me do it. What role does the devil play in our daily lives?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Memento Mori

Well, in the Bible, all I've ever seen from the "devil" is temptation. He offered Jesus, the world which Jesus turned down, etc. etc.

Satan is purely temptation. He doesn't violate free will and anyone who would accept that violation is still committing a crime.

Now demons are a different story. And really I just think people make those up to try to get out of trouble. Although, I suppose it helps a plea of insanity in some cases.

Aimiel

Demons are real. Jesus didn't cast imaginary creatures from people. He cast real beings out of real people, many times.

We have three enemies, as I was taught: the world, the flesh and the devil. Satan wants us to be roadkill, left behind as a grease spot on the highway to hell. God wants us to have abundant life, and to share same with others. Temptation comes from the world's influence (our peers, family, friends, businesses, etc.), our flesh (personal temptation to become drunk, lazy, commit crime, etc.) and the devil, who often isn't recognized as such, because all to often it's in the form of what seems like our own thoughts: "Has God really said...?" Satan is always looking for an opportunity to take advantage of everyone. He can be found under the nearest doily.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
He offers suggestions. That's it. The devil can't make anyone do anything. I'd quote the usual lines from Sartre, but you all know them by now, I'm sure.

Edit: On second thought, perhaps I should amend the above. Satan very well may be able to possess people and control their bodies. I can't deny this, since the Church does believe in demonic possession. Satan can enter a person's body and force him to say things, to move about, to view the world differently, etc.

However, for all of this, Satan can't force us to assent to anything. If I willfully move my hand below my belly button, then Satan didn't make me do it. Indeed, he perhaps gave a rather impolite suggestion. Nonetheless, the final decision was mine. Even in the case of possession, Satan very well might force my hand to move below my belly button. However, he can't force me to assent to it. He didn't make me move my hand. He can't. I essentially am free.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The devil has no place in my life; I am given over to Christ.

Also, I come from an expository sermon background, not hell-fire and brimstone.

Thunder's Muse

"The Devil made me do it"

I hate that saying with a passion. What a cop out!

The 'Devil' doesn't make me do anything. If I stuff up, it's my own doing and I take full responsibility for it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He appears as an angel of light where he does his most damage with his false gospel from people like godrulz, andyc, etc etc.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 21st, 2010 11:37 AM

toldailytopic: The devil made me do it. What role does the devil play in our daily lives?

Jesus Christ destroyed the powers of the devil in the lives of His children on the cross.

Hebrews 2:14-16

Thus, the devil plays NO ROLE in the daily lives of Christian believers.

And since the cross, Satan's power have been bound and subjected to the higher powers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ proclaimed since the Incarnation.

Revelation 20:1-6

Nang

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Todah

He prowls about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.

He also disguises himself as an angel of light.

Therefore when you are weak and or alone he may eat you up. He has eaten my lunch several times, when I am in that condition.

Also when I am feeling pretty good about things, he saddles up beside me and deceives me into doing wrong ,when I am fairly sure, I am doing right. Eve.....garden.....apple!

A lot of people seem to have a fairly macho attitude when it comes to the devil. We are advised to be wary of him, and have the Lord rebuke him, or rebuke him in the word.

For example, how many Christians, these days,commit homosexuals acts of sin, and continually convince themselves,that it is not even a sin?

Both the self righteous, and the sexually deviant are the lion's prey, now- a- days. They are blind to his deception. How sad!:cry:

Resist the devil and he will flee, humble ourselves before the Lord!

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
The devil is a fictional character, he plays about as much of a role in your life as Edward Cullen.

When people say "the devil made me do it" what they are really saying is that they don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

It's all pretty simple.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The devil is a fictional character, he plays about as much of a role in your life as Edward Cullen.

When people say "the devil made me do it" what they are really saying is that they don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

It's all pretty simple.
Too bad. The devil would have explained so much in your particular and peculiar situation. Sigh.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The devil made me do it. What role does the devil play in our daily lives?

I hear he's currently working out post production for the next installments of "Jersey Shore". :plain:

Edit: turns out that was a vicious rumor. Apparently even the devil has limits.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you were under personal attack by the devil himself, you would know it. His supposed omnipresence is something most fail to see as actually unbiblical. The other so-called attacks by malevolent forces way too many claim are usually the result of a rancid piece of digested meat or severe chemical imbalances.

AMR

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If you were under personal attack by the devil himself, you would know it. His supposed omnipresence is something most fail to see as actually unbiblical. The other so-called attacks by malevolent forces way too many claim are usually the result of a rancid piece of digested meat or severe chemical imbalances.

AMR

The Dickens you say. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.