toldailytopic: The best form of government is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 17th, 2011 11:33 AM

toldailytopic: The best form of government is...

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
"Until philosophers are kings, or the kings and princes of this world have the spirit and power of philosophy, and political greatness and wisdom meet in one, and those commoner natures who pursue either to the exclusion of the other are compelled to stand aside, cities will never have rest from their evils — no, nor the human race, as I believe — and then only will this our State have a possibility of life and behold the light of day." - Plato's Republic

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no best form of government. The idea of government is at most a necessary evil.
Hmmm... not exactly sure I buy that but....

If you believe that then let me ask you the same question in a different form... what is the least evil form of government?

Granite

Hall of Fame
The best kind leaves you alone; the best form...that's a different matter. It depends on the sort of people you're governing.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we do need government
and
the best form of it
is
one that allows free speech
and
the opportunity to worship in your own way

not4sure

Christ on the throne of David in the Millennial Kingdom!

However, prior to that Bobbby Jindal is doing a nifty job in LA>

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Godly Government governed by those who have overcome the devil. This is what is said of them.

Revelation 2: 26-28

And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.
And I will give him the morning star.

And these will rule under the headship of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 19: 14-16

And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

This is my idea of ideal government. It leaves no room for criminal activity or perversions.

PyramidHead

Godly Government governed by those who have overcome the devil. This is what is said of them.

Revelation 2: 26-28

And these will rule under the headship of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 19: 14-16

This is my idea of ideal government. It leaves no room for criminal activity or perversions.

So you support a sort of Iranian authoritarian type government which leaves limited freedom for people of other religions?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you support a sort of Iranian authoritarian type government which leaves limited freedom for people of other religions?

I support a government under the headship of Jesus Christ/God. Iran is run by man. You as an atheist wouldn't understand that.

PyramidHead

I support a government under the headship of Jesus Christ/God. Iran is run by man. You as an atheist wouldn't understand that.

Haha well firstly I'd say I'm not necessarily an atheist, I am an agnostic. I would go under 'other' but I don't think I have a clear enough definition of what I believe to justify that.

Secondly, it would be ruled by a man. Or a woman. At least for the time being. Certainly you as a human being understand that?

Newman

Hmmm... not exactly sure I buy that but....

If you believe that then let me ask you the same question in a different form... what is the least evil form of government?

Local, small, and limited in power that has 100% consent from 100% of the governed.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Haha well firstly I'd say I'm not necessarily an atheist, I am an agnostic. I would go under 'other' but I don't think I have a clear enough definition of what I believe to justify that.

Secondly, it would be ruled by a man. Or a woman. At least for the time being. Certainly you as a human being understand that?

As an Agnostic--that is what you believe.

I don't believe that when Jesus come to rule that it will be governed by just humans. He will call the shots.

Out the window will go Abortion and Homosexuality. These are not worth keeping. They are not 'rights'. You can be sure that pedophiles and rapists will be executed. I won't have to lock my door at night and keep a gun by my patio door.

PyramidHead

As an Agnostic--that is what you believe.

I don't believe that when Jesus come to rule that it will be governed by just humans. He will call the shots.

Out the window will go Abortion and Homosexuality. These are not worth keeping. They are not 'rights'. You can be sure that pedophiles and rapists will be executed. I won't have to lock my door at night and keep a gun by my patio door.

Yeah, but we're talking about right now! Not the indefinite future according to your holy text, but rather right now, what the best method of humans governing themselves is!

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
There is no best form of government. The idea of government is at most a necessary evil.

Newman, you really should read the Greeks more (in particular, Plato and Aristotle; Marcus Aurelius is quite good too on this point). Man, in virtue of being rational, already is a political agent, and he must conceive himself and all other rational agents as being bound to a common law. Government isn't external to the agent subject. To be a rational man is to conceive onself as a rational man in the State.

Newman

Newman, you really should read the Greeks more (in particular, Plato and Aristotle; Marcus Aurelius is quite good too on this point). Man, in virtue of being rational, already is a political agent, and he must conceive himself and all other rational agents as being bound to a common law. Government isn't external to the agent subject. To be a rational man is to conceive onself as a rational man in the State.

I've read Nicomachean Ethics, but that's about it. I base my opinions about how society should be structured through an aprioristic rights-based framework as well as Jesus' exemplary life and ministry.

"To be a rational man is to conceive oneself as a rational man in the State." makes no sense and is somewhat platitudinous. Man exists and is rational with or without the state, and in most cases the state hinders man's ability to both exist and act.

Status
Not open for further replies.