toldailytopic: The Baptists: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Krsto

Casseroles and fried chicken. :TomO:

Wrong? :AMR:

Oh no, not the Baptists. The Methodists undeniably (though some fools will try) make the best casseroles on earth.

If you dispute this you will have my mother-in-law to condend with :eek:

Krsto

We hold their heads under until they believe....what's wrong with that? :idunno:

If only the Muslims would have used that method instead of the sword. They might have had a few more converts. :plain:

Krsto

I am going to take the information from SOD's Box and break it down.

Congregation autonomy :up:
Liberal interpretations of separation of church and state. :down: Yes I have observed these.
One God :up:
The virgin birth :up:
Miracles : ? All the Baptists I have met do not believe in miracles.
Atonement for sins through the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of Jesus. :up:
The Trinity. :up:
The need for salvation (through belief in Jesus Christ as the son of God, his death and resurrection, and confession of Christ as Lord). :up:
Grace. :up:
The Kingdom of God. Their definition is a bit skewed. They have the Body and Bride mixed up.
Last things (Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth, the dead will be raised, and Christ will judge everyone in righteousness):down: They believe in the white throne judgement for everyone.
Evangelism and missions.:up:

The supremacy of the canonical Scriptures as a norm of faith and practice. (conservative baptists):up:
Baptists do not believe that baptism is necessary for salvation. Therefore, they do not consider it to be a sacrament, since it imparts no saving grace.:up:

The "four freedoms" :down: Why do we need dogma like this when we have the Bible?
Soul freedom: the soul is competent before God, and capable of making decisions in matters of faith without coercion or compulsion by any larger religious or civil body
Church freedom: freedom of the local church from outside interference, whether government or civilian (subject only to the law where it does not interfere with the religious teachings and practices of the church)
Bible freedom: the individual is free to interpret the Bible for himself or herself, using the best tools of scholarship and biblical study available to the individual
Religious freedom: the individual is free to choose whether to practice their religion, another religion, or no religion; Separation of church and state is often called the "civil corollary" of religious freedom
Yap yap.
The Baptists have their little pet Dogma nipping at their ankles.

How true and I've been to enough Baptist churches that make you sign a doctrinal statement to be a member so they don't really believe in Soul Freedom any more than Calvin did in Geneve when he ruled the city with an iron fist.

Not that many Christians at all believe in Soul Freedom . . .

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Oh no, not the Baptists. The Methodists undeniably (though some fools will try) make the best casseroles on earth.

If you dispute this you will have my mother-in-law to condend with :eek:

Nahh...their cooking methods are too methodical to truly create a great casserole...besides; still no fried chicken. :yawn:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
How true and I've been to enough Baptist churches that make you sign a doctrinal statement to be a member so they don't really believe in Soul Freedom any more than Calvin did in Geneve when he ruled the city with an iron fist.

Not that many Christians at all believe in Soul Freedom . . .

:AMR: Nothing inconsistent with that....you are free to believe anything you want.
If you want to be a MEMBER of a Southern Baptist Church though you have to believe like a Southern Baptist.

Anyone can attend the church whenever they want though as long as they are not disruptive. :idunno:

:yawn: When Baptists run the city get back with me.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The "four freedoms" :down: Why do we need dogma like this when we have the Bible?
Soul freedom: the soul is competent before God, and capable of making decisions in matters of faith without coercion or compulsion by any larger religious or civil body
Church freedom: freedom of the local church from outside interference, whether government or civilian (subject only to the law where it does not interfere with the religious teachings and practices of the church)
Bible freedom: the individual is free to interpret the Bible for himself or herself, using the best tools of scholarship and biblical study available to the individual
Religious freedom: the individual is free to choose whether to practice their religion, another religion, or no religion; Separation of church and state is often called the "civil corollary" of religious freedom
Yap yap.
The Baptists have their little pet Dogma nipping at their ankles.

Can you go into more detail about why you are against this?

Krsto

:AMR: Nothing inconsistent with that....you are free to believe anything you want.
If you want to be a MEMBER of a Southern Baptist Church though you have to believe like a Southern Baptist.

Anyone can attend the church whenever they want though as long as they are not disruptive. :idunno:

:yawn: When Baptists run the city get back with me.

I'm sure it wouldn't hold a candle to how well Calvin ran Geneve . . .

"Another heretic? Crush him. That's his destiny."

Lon

They aren't calvins right?

They look OK to me. :idunno:
Yes, there are Calvinist and Arminian Baptists in many of them.
Perhaps thats a 'neg' on your book.

There is a lot of good and right in the Baptist churches: Strong on Scriptural stance, evangelism, and community.

A few problems: Many, in almost every denomination lean toward legalism, imperializing minors over majors ( "Don't dance, gamble, or drink. KJV only, etc.). They allow lay-pastors (men without degrees) but do encourage them to pursue education when they are in the pastorates (this lends to problems just mentioned above). Also, as Some dude mentioned, many have a loose affiliate where a more organized heirarchy and accountability would be better imo.