toldailytopic: Stephen Hawking says Heaven is a 'fairy story'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Many persons do use another' opinion, as it becomes their adopted view by reading the thought of others. Want an honest opinion, do not expect bookish style, Hawkins seems insecure to me, oh, I probably read the concept about insecurity in a college textbook, then what is my own opinion? He protests too much, oh, lost it again! He is a dweeb, I might have got it that time.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I'll stick with Plato, thanks. :loser:

For those of you who haven't read the Phaedo, I'd like to clarify the above: the notion that the soul lives many lives comes from his earlier position in the Meno. Plato has a problem of a priori knowledge. If I know truths that I didn't learn in this life, where did I learn those truths?

How is it that the little slave boy of the Meno can tell me that, in order to double the size of a square, that I must draw the sides of the double to be equivalent to the diagonal of the smaller? [Suppose I have a square with each of its sides measuring 3 meters. In order to draw a square exactly twice that size, each side of the new square must measure a number of meters equal to the square root of 18.]

Well, since the slave boy didn't learn it in this life, he must have learned it in a previous life. In the Phaedo, Plato appeals to this notion in order to argue for the immortality of the soul. Since I know a priori truths, then I must have existed prior to this life. Therefore, I'll continue existing once this life ends.

It should be noted, however, that the dialogue doesn't end there. That argument doesn't hold. His interlocutor asks: "Granted, you've lived prior lives. But why should you go on existing indefinitely? Maybe you've lived a number of lives, but this is your last one. Your time really is running out." Socrates answers that the soul, being a principle of life, cannot die, since death is the opposite of life.

So, there's two problems here:

1. Does the problem of a priori knowledge indicate that we've lived previous lives?

2. Does the soul's being a principle of life ensure that it must always live?

The answer to 1 is an obvious "no." If the truth in question is a priori, that is to say, a truth that I cannot learn through sense knowledge, then saying that I've lived previous lives doesn't help answer the question. It only pushes it back. How did I learn the truth in that previous life?

I think that it's ultimately this concern that led Plato to write the Phaedrus. In that dialogue, Plato doesn't claim that we learn eternal verities from previous lives. Plato says that we learned the eternal verities prior to this life when we saw them directly in a state of pre-existence in the intelligible world. We looked directly upon The Good.

So, when it's all said and done, does the notion of a priori truth indicate that we have to believe in reincarnation? I don't even think that the Plato of the Phaedrus thought that.

The answer to 2 also is a pretty obvious "no." Granted, insofar as the soul is a principle of life, insofar as it exists, it must live. But Plato has begged the question. What if the soul should cease to exist? Then it no longer will be a principle of life, and there is no reason that it should continue to live.

2 may be a good argument for some sort of universal animating principle, but certainly not for individual living things. We don't say that a blade of grass lives innumerable lives.

Quincy

Many persons do use another' opinion, as it becomes their adopted view by reading the thought of others. Want an honest opinion, do not expect bookish style, Hawkins seems insecure to me, oh, I probably read the concept about insecurity in a college textbook, then what is my own opinion? He protests too much, oh, lost it again! He is a dweeb, I might have got it that time.

Well, I don't see why anyone wants to follow someone else's opinion. Too many credulous followers in this world, too many corrupt wanting to lead them and not nearly enough living true to their self. My view on Hawking is that if I ever care enough about physics or cosomology to read one of his books without it being a requisite for some class, I'll read it. To be honest, I don't really care. I think you guys would be much better off having the same view. Heaven is something personal to you, if you believe in it that is all that should matter. If he wants to share his view and someone decides to adopt it, that is of their own free will.

Cexistur

...if I ever care enough about physics or cosomology to read one of his books without it being a requisite for some class, I'll read it. To be honest, I don't really care. I think you guys would be much better off having the same view. Heaven is something personal to you, if you believe in it that is all that should matter.

It should be noted physics and cosmology aren't inherently related to the existence of heaven et cetera.

Quincy

It should be noted physics and cosmology aren't inherently related to the existence of heaven et cetera.

Very true, I certainly didn't mean to imply that they are. I just mean I view those as his forte and if I take interest in those, then I'd go to him for that information.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And that's not what I said at all now is it? I will read a mathematician who holds that 2+2=4 before I read one that believes 2+2=5. If that doesn't make sense to you then I don't know what to say. I already noted that it will take me longer to get to them, meaning that I do intend to read them.
Read them then and the discussion will be more fruitful. For now, all I am doing is explaining things explained, which I fear. ;)

I want to thank you for the clarity and pointedness of this reply of yours. It is something I don't see so often, especially on TOL.
Nothing new here if you take the time to search my past posts.

You have denied the idea that ought implies can. Now to be perfectly honest I think that's absurd. I could give any number of absurd scenarios drawn from your idea, but for brevity's sake I will consider one.
Let's not use secular scenarios, but Scripture. I hesitated to even make a passing reference to one, knowing your propensity to latch on to these sort of things, attempting to create secular parallels to Scripture. That was my foolish error and I won't repeat it or indulge it.

Replying "Mortimer says so" is no answer, and if we are going to resort to citation duels, no one is edified, especially those who are unwilling or reluctant to even read said citations. I used a pointed Scripture passage for the essence of my argument, and you need to deal with the teachings therein rather than wave them off.

No, it teaches us that if you have absolutely no capacity to not sin then it wouldn't even be a sin. But we've all read Paul who says that he was without sin before he had the law, thus confirming the obvious truth that without ability there can be no responsibility.
No. Paul's teaching in Romans 7:9 his subjective experience. The previous verse is the clue you miss--sin lies latent--it is not non-existent.

why did Christ come? Why did God create the world at all? You believe that creatures can effect absolutely nothing at all with respect to salvation. Why do we need a world? Why not just separate every soul out at the very beginning, throw them into Heaven or Hell, and be done with it? The world, the human life, Christ's coming are all superfluous on your reading.
In your frustration, you now resort to whimsical speculations? :squint: Rather than speculate about what God could have done, I prefer to rely upon what He did do. Scripture teaches us that God created for His glory and the Scriptures are about the unfolding of His redemptive plan from eternity to exhibit that glory. For you to make the scurrilous statements you just made tells me we are not going to be discussing this much longer. It also tells me you desperately need to read Ott and Barkel as I have recommended. Right now you are embarrassing yourself among those more read on these matters.

Only because it was hardened by man's free will.
No doubt. Of course, the issue of what "free will" means remains. For you, it is the liberty of indifference. For me, the liberty of spontaneity. These are immiscible views and therefore underlie our differences.

This says nothing at all, since responsible and accountable have the same meaning in this context.
No they do not. By the way, the word you are looking for here is tautological, which does not apply. We are responsible because God said so. We are accountable because He is God.

AMR

Lon

What part of this makes the slaughter of innocent children good and proper?
Er, an unfolding plan?
If you were suddenly dictator of all of Africa, would you stop insanity in a fortnight? If you were incrementally working, what would you first allow that you'd change later?

I have no idea what the answer is to your 'specific pet dilemma' but I'm not as retarded as all that to think there 'might not' be a good answer to it.

Before you go off on a ridiculous tangent, the above isn't meant to raise specific objection of one reasonable explanation but to point out that you aren't really 'looking' for an answer, but a reason/justification for your rejection. Let's cut through the mustard/red tape and really nail that fact down. It might as well have been "why doesn't God heal amputees." Its just your 'justified in your own eyes' excuse.

DavisBJ

Er, an unfolding plan?
Looking at the specific places in the Bible where God ordered the mass slaughter of kids, I just can’t see any where it looks like that slaughter is anything other than the Hebrew’s way of trying to make their merciless attack on an enemy into something respectable. To slather “It was part of God’s plan” on what in any civilized context was no different than what the Nazi’s did is an odious move of desperation.
Before you go off on a ridiculous tangent …
I object to slaughtering infants, and I am the one that is on a ridiculous tangent?
… you aren't really 'looking' for an answer, but a reason/justification for your rejection. Let's cut through the mustard/red tape and really nail that fact down.
In olden times faithful men such as yourself, living in a more barbaric society, come home at night with the blood of children dripping from their swords. Your sacred record places the blame for those massacres at the feet of your God. So it is natural that to try to keep your God as an object deserving of your praise and adoration, you need to demonize me for my not falling in lockstep and praising your God. I understand.
It might as well have been "why doesn't God heal amputees."
Amputees is a separate question, though as you note, similar in nature. I don’t see where you preemptively bringing it up lessens the dilemma it highlights.
It’s just your 'justified in your own eyes' excuse.
I fully acknowledge that I apply yardsticks to the various Gods I am told I should believe in. You do too, else you would be equally accepting of myriads of Gods other than the one you believe in. As to it being an excuse, presume you were hopping mad at your neighbor for some reason, and as a result you attacked him and killed he and his wife, and then spotted his kids and hacked them to death as well. I offer that any justification you might put in your family history where that action is recounted might just be spin doctored a bit – an “excuse” for the massacre.

zippy2006

Read them then and the discussion will be more fruitful. For now, all I am doing is explaining things explained, which I fear. ;)

Nothing new here if you take the time to search my past posts.

Let's not use secular scenarios, but Scripture. I hesitated to even make a passing reference to one, knowing your propensity to latch on to these sort of things, attempting to create secular parallels to Scripture. That was my foolish error and I won't repeat it or indulge it.

Replying "Mortimer says so" is no answer, and if we are going to resort to citation duels, no one is edified, especially those who are unwilling or reluctant to even read said citations. I used a pointed Scripture passage for the essence of my argument, and you need to deal with the teachings therein rather than wave them off.

No. Paul's teaching in Romans 7:9 his subjective experience. The previous verse is the clue you miss--sin lies latent--it is not non-existent.

In your frustration, you now resort to whimsical speculations? :squint: Rather than speculate about what God could have done, I prefer to rely upon what He did do. Scripture teaches us that God created for His glory and the Scriptures are about the unfolding of His redemptive plan from eternity to exhibit that glory. For you to make the scurrilous statements you just made tells me we are not going to be discussing this much longer. It also tells me you desperately need to read Ott and Barkel as I have recommended. Right now you are embarrassing yourself among those more read on these matters.

No doubt. Of course, the issue of what "free will" means remains. For you, it is the liberty of indifference. For me, the liberty of spontaneity. These are immiscible views and therefore underlie our differences.

No they do not. By the way, the word you are looking for here is tautological, which does not apply. We are responsible because God said so. We are accountable because He is God.

AMR

Sorry AMR, you have done nothing to show that ought implies can is false. Anyone using reason knows that ought implies can. You believe a just God can damn us for things we have absolutely no control over. Unfortunately, as kmo pointed out, that is essentially the definition of injustice. It's unfortunate that the logical conclusion of Calvinism is such a ridiculously false belief and that you will not admit you are wrong even at this point. I will start a new thread/poll on this topic since it is somewhat off topic here, both to offer you a chance to rebut, to see what others think, and to reveal the logical conclusion of Calvinism to others.

:e4e:

Last edited:

John Mortimer

Sorry AMR, you have done nothing to show that ought implies can is false. Anyone using reason knows that ought implies can. You believe a just God can damn us for things we have absolutely no control over. Unfortunately, as kmo pointed out, that is essentially the definition of injustice. It's unfortunate that the logical conclusion of Calvinism is such a ridiculously false belief and that you will not admit you are wrong even at this point. I will start a new thread/poll on this topic since it is somewhat off topic here, both to offer you a chance to rebut, to see what others think, and to reveal the logical conclusion of Calvinism to others.

:e4e:
:thumb:

Rest of post moved here:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74401

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will start a new thread/poll on this topic since it is somewhat off topic here, both to offer you a chance to rebut, to see what others think, and to reveal the logical conclusion of Calvinism to others.
If you think the "court" of public opinion is a means of settling matters of Scripture, you are mistaken. It is too bad your priorities are to spend time starting polls in hopes of "revealing" all manner of things when you might set aside time to be reading the works of others, some of whom I have already recommended. Rather than busying yourself here and there with the hoi polloi, you might consider that your stewardship of the gifts God has given you is a wee bit off, no? :squint:

AMR

Last edited:

zippy2006

Too bad your priorities are to spend time starting polls in hopes of "revealing" all manner of things when you might set aside time to be reading the works of others, some of whom I have already recommended. Rather than busying yourself here and there with the hoi polloi, you might consider that your stewardship of the gifts God has given you is a wee bit off, no? :squint:

AMR

I consider it more worthwhile to point out a perverted doctrine to those susceptible rather than read authors who believe responsibility exists absent ability. But I'd prefer to do neither and so I'll half take your 'advice' and return to Ratzinger's Introduction to Christianity. I invite you to reconsider your position in prayer and humility even in spite of the frustration that these words bring you coming from my mouth, for I have little doubt that you understand how deeply problematic it truly is. God bless.

-zip :e4e:

Lon

Looking at the specific places in the Bible where God ordered the mass slaughter of kids, I just can’t see any where it looks like that slaughter is anything other than the Hebrew’s way of trying to make their merciless attack on an enemy into something respectable. To slather “It was part of God’s plan” on what in any civilized context was no different than what the Nazi’s did is an odious move of desperation.
Are you for or against abortion? I just want to know if there is any hypocrisy and how far it goes.

I object to slaughtering infants, and I am the one that is on a ridiculous tangent?
How much money are you currently sending to end hunger for today's starving infants?

In olden times faithful men such as yourself, living in a more barbaric society, come home at night with the blood of children dripping from their swords. Your sacred record places the blame for those massacres at the feet of your God. So it is natural that to try to keep your God as an object deserving of your praise and adoration, you need to demonize me for my not falling in lockstep and praising your God. I understand.
What then? Let them live to starve to death? This was an army, a ways from home. Can you think your way out of a paper bag? I said you are going on and on because you want an excuse. You are only proving my point. I've wrestled with these passages, can you tell? You? Nope. Why? Because you never wanted to. It is all for your convenient denial. I've addressed these objections simply because I wanted to. I already know what you'll do with them. You don't want a possible answer. You don't want a cogent explanation. You want an excuse.

Amputees is a separate question, though as you note, similar in nature. I don’t see where you preemptively bringing it up lessens the dilemma it highlights.
Simply, that instead of answers, you've been looking for excuses and it seems found what you were looking for.
I fully acknowledge that I apply yardsticks to the various Gods I am told I should believe in. You do too, else you would be equally accepting of myriads of Gods other than the one you believe in. As to it being an excuse, presume you were hopping mad at your neighbor for some reason, and as a result you attacked him and killed he and his wife, and then spotted his kids and hacked them to death as well. I offer that any justification you might put in your family history where that action is recounted might just be spin doctored a bit – an “excuse” for the massacre.
Yep, and that yardstick applies even if the object was measured in cubits. You are wise in your own eyes. Rejection with excuses isn't touchable. Didn't you know there are scriptures that address your specific scenario? War isn't the same as your neighbor, but you are looking for an excuse for that too.

DavisBJ

Are you for or against abortion? I just want to know if there is any hypocrisy and how far it goes … How much money are you currently sending to end hunger for today's starving infants? … What then? Let them live to starve to death? This was an army, a ways from home.
You are intent on refocusing the issue so I am made to look as though I sanction the killing of infants. You approve of hacking kids to death if they otherwise would “starve to death”. So Lon sees this massacre as a form of mercy killing. You have painted it in a new light. Here at TOL I have been told by several other Christians that the “mercy” part of the infanticide was not to forestall starvation, but because these kids would have grown up to be as despicable as their parents. (I find that rationalization specious, because most children grow up internalizing the values and norms of the society they are raised in.)

I am curious though, what passages in the Bible do you see that explain that avoiding death by starvation was why these just-orphaned children were put to death? As I think about your rationalization, it comes to mind that since the death toll of the adults in the conquered lands was ordered to be 100%, then all of the food and supplies of the recently dead are free for the taking. I suppose it isn’t even looting when the original owners themselves are dead. So the invading Hebrew army likely had an unusual opportunity to resupply. And then, if the kids were really small, of nursing age, then lactating mothers would be needed. And on top of that, for whatever reason, part of the marching orders had been to decimate the flocks (and crops?) right along with the natives. I guess if the parents must die, and then those animals and crops that supplied milk and meat and skins and food to the enemy must also die for being complicit in being evil, that does kind of put a strain on the invading army’s supply chain, doesn’t it?

It’s not that these things were surprises. The genocide orders that had special line items including both children and infants, as well as flocks, were in place before the army even started their march. And you fight tooth and toenail to try to make this act somehow a thing of glory ordered by the OT God.

Christopher Hitchens wrote a book a few years ago titled “god is not great, why religion poisons everything”. I haven’t read it, but I imagine it is things just like this kid-killing that he had in mind when he titled it. Christianity offers some wonderful examples of love and goodness and kindness and beauty. But there are closets in Christianity that have some pretty bad smells, and shining a light inside takes a really strong stomach.
… you want an excuse … you never wanted to … it is all for your convenient denial … You don't want a possible answer … You don't want a cogent explanation … You want an excuse … you've been looking for excuses … You are wise in your own eyes … you are looking for an excuse
Feel better now that you got that out? Can we get back to the facts, or am I personally the enemy that you feel that must be defeated?
Didn't you know there are scriptures that address your specific scenario?
And they are?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Are you for or against abortion? I just want to know if there is any hypocrisy and how far it goes.

How much money are you currently sending to end hunger for today's starving infants?

What then? Let them live to starve to death?

so you don't have to send money to end hunger
if
you are for abortion?

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 16th, 2011 12:49 PM

toldailytopic: Stephen Hawking says Heaven is a 'fairy story', what do you think about that assertion?

Hawking is free to assert whatever he likes. Known as "shooting from the lip" in some erudite circles. :jolly:

Lon

I am curious though, what passages in the Bible do you see that explain that avoiding death by starvation was why these just-orphaned children were put to death? As I think about your rationalization, it comes to mind that since the death toll of the adults in the conquered lands was ordered to be 100%, then all of the food and supplies of the recently dead are free for the taking. I suppose it isn’t even looting when the original owners themselves are dead. So the invading Hebrew army likely had an unusual opportunity to resupply. And then, if the kids were really small, of nursing age, then lactating mothers would be needed. And on top of that, for whatever reason, part of the marching orders had been to decimate the flocks (and crops?) right along with the natives. I guess if the parents must die, and then those animals and crops that supplied milk and meat and skins and food to the enemy must also die for being complicit in being evil, that does kind of put a strain on the invading army’s supply chain, doesn’t it?
This is as speculative as mine, but I appreciate you thinking through the dilemmas. I acknowledge them but any conclusions we draw are speculative. I'm just showing that war ethics are necessarily different than civilian ethics. There are also differences between ancient cultures. My question for myself is: Where would I start? If I was suddenly made dictator over all of Africa, I'd have the same questions. Do I ease into it? Mass kill dissonants? Take food from those eating and give it to the starving? Whatever I do, won't I be subject to much accusation and blame for having taken the task regardless of my good intentions?

It’s not that these things were surprises. The genocide orders that had special line items including both children and infants, as well as flocks, were in place before the army even started their march. And you fight tooth and toenail to try to make this act somehow a thing of glory ordered by the OT God.
How would we know that? Were these written before or after the wars started?
Christopher Hitchens wrote a book a few years ago titled “god is not great, why religion poisons everything”. I haven’t read it, but I imagine it is things just like this kid-killing that he had in mind when he titled it. Christianity offers some wonderful examples of love and goodness and kindness and beauty. But there are closets in Christianity that have some pretty bad smells, and shining a light inside takes a really strong stomach.
He's not quite as kind as you. The taste in his mouth didn't leave many appreciations. Evidence, to me, suggests God took the gradual approach. I am of the opinion that cultures doing well have been influenced by Christianity. I see a lot of correlation but haven't taken it to confirmation bias (too much data).

Feel better now that you got that out? Can we get back to the facts, or am I personally the enemy that you feel that must be defeated?

And they are?
That wasn't my specific point. I was, in as forward a manner as I perceived, pointing out that we both had prior commitments before coming to these texts and that they drove our particular contrasting agendas.

Status
Not open for further replies.