toldailytopic: Should Osama Bin Laden be forgiven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 2nd, 2011 08:55 AM

I guess if he repented of his unbelief and accepted Christ as his Lord, than he would be forgiven by God. The likeliness of that is pretty slim so, I guess outside of that condition no. Now, should I personally forgive him, yes, just as Christ forgave me.

elohiym

70 * 7... of course.

When did Bin Laden seek forgiveness from us that we could forgive him even once?

As a matter of fact we are called to love our enemies.

God destroys His enemies. Does God not love His enemies?

I also find it apalling that those that call themselves christians could celebrate the death of a human created in God's image, no matter how bad and evil they acted.

Ps 58:10 The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.

So what do you do with that sentiment?

I would rather have just seen him captured and hid away for the rest of his life.

Where does God allow for that in His word? He had cities of refuge, but not for the type of crimes people like Bin Laden commit.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I forgive him. I'm no better than he is. I have the potential for all sorts of terrible things within me. And, he actually thought he was serving God by doing what he did, like most religious people today, and no different than Catholics burning Christians at the stake for distributing Bibles. He was deceived by the god of this world. I wish he would have gotten saved before his death.

I respectfully disagree with you. YOU are better than him, just as every other person who does NOT go out and commit acts of terrorism towards other innocent human beings are better than him.

It takes a *special kind of evil* for a person to commit the type of atrocities he committed.

elohiym

Christians are supposed to reflect the love of Christ.

What did Bin Laden's state of mind reflect? This:

Luke 7:47 ...to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

It's not whether or not I forgive Bin Laden, but whether or not Bin Laden received the forgiveness of God.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
it should be understood that we are talking about two different kinds of forgiveness here

one is the one God does if we repent
and
the other is the one we must do to be forgiven by God

elohiym

Do you suppose God forgave Osama?

I think we'll have to wait until after his second term to find out.

Oh, wait, I misread that.

Yeah, God forgave Bin Laden; but Bin Laden never accepted God's forgiveness. Unbelief.

Lovejoy

And what might that reflection look like?

Would Christ forgive an unrepentant mass murderer?

Gosh that seems unlikely. It truly makes a mockery of His own sacrifice.

I can just about personally guarantee, if OBL had in fact repented, we would never have known, as he would have been murdered by his own people and his body desecrated beyond recognition.

heir

TOL Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 2nd, 2011 08:55 AM

He was forgiven, but he didn't receive the love of the truth that would save him.

2 Thessalonians 2:10 KJV And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Romans 5:6 KJV For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Romans 6:23 KJV For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them;...

2 Corinthians 5:21 KJV For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

The gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation for therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith.

Romans 1:16-17 KJV For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Had Osama received/believed the gospel of Christ, the righteousness of God by the faith of Jesus Christ would have been put to his account just like any one else who has been saved in this age.

Romans 3:21-22 KJV But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

He would have been sealed unto the day of redemption.

Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Ephesians 4:30 KJV And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

HisServant

That's your idea of forgiveness??? :idunno:

If he is still a danger to others.. then forgiving him and placing him in a position where he can do no more harm seems to be the only logical choice. But taking his life is out of the question.

elohiym

as we forgive those who trespass against us

How do YOU forgive him?

Didn't your government just kill the man instead of forgive him?

Maybe you should have been writing the President all these years telling him how much you forgive Bin Laden (for what he's done to you).

elohiym

If he is still a danger to others.. then forgiving him and placing him in a position where he can do no more harm seems to be the only logical choice.

I didn't realize that lifetime incarceration was more forgiving than the death penalty.

HisServant

When did Bin Laden seek forgiveness from us that we could forgive him even once?

Him seeking forgiveness is not a prerequisite for us forgiving him..

God destroys His enemies. Does God not love His enemies?

Vengence is the Lord's.. not ours. And for us to preempt Gods right for vengence is a dangerous thing to do.

Ps 58:10 The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.

So what do you do with that sentiment?

I didn't see God's vengence here.. just the misguided vengence of sinful men.

Where does God allow for that in His word? He had cities of refuge, but not for the type of crimes people like Bin Laden commit.

We are not God. We are also not Israel (Israel no longer exists as God constituted it).. So to try and draw some comparison from obsolete instructions is pretty darn dangerous.

Aimiel

I don't see why he shouldn't be forgiven for dying, since the Seals were instructed to terminate with extreme prejudice... I don't see that he had any choice in the matter but to die. They know how to take out their assigned target. :chuckle:

HisServant

I didn't realize that lifetime incarceration was more forgiving than the death penalty.

He could still come to his senses and ask for forgiveness and maybe convert to Christianity. Instead we acted as God's judge, jury and executioner and deprived him of that possibility.

It was nothing less then murder.. cold blooded murder.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He could still come to his senses and ask for forgiveness and maybe convert to Christianity. Instead we acted as God's judge, jury and executioner and deprived him of that possibility.

It was nothing less then murder.. cold blooded murder.

OR ... while in prison, he could continue on his murderous rampage ...

You do realize you are chastising the WRONG side here, right? WE are the good guys. Our country did the world a great service by taking out this horrible, murderous wretch of a hum ... err, scratch that.

I refuse to refer to the maggot known as OBL as human.

Status
Not open for further replies.