toldailytopic: Should being diagnosed insane excuse capital punishment?

Thunder's Muse

I agree. From my experience, maniacs tend to be uncontrollable and not suffering from the same symptoms. They can often appear to be normal people, until the right stimulus comes around. It takes a great deal of studying these terms and definitions to begin to understand them. I just know them on a cursory basis because I had to do quite a bit of therapy during the last decade, so I can relate to Coffee and what you have shared with us in the past.

As I've briefly mentioned on here in passing before, I'm hypomanic, which is like the opposite of depression. Some people say that is an advantage because you don't sleep but 4 or 5 hours a day, and you are highly driven. Those people either don't have it or they don't understand that they are prone to having a disconnected view of theirself though. We tend to think of ourselves as perfect and beyond reproach, far too optimistic. Just as an example, when I was about 8 or so, I saw my first rattlesnake. I knew it was poisonous but I wanted to play with it. So, I took off running to try and grab it, I didn't think anything bad would happen to me because it was me. My grandfather stopped me though :chuckle: .

I'm blessed in some ways though. I rarely get sad and never get angry. I've been taught that as long as I avoid caffeine, sugar, dance/disco/funk music and other types of stimulates I operate normal. I still only sleep about 5 hours a day (though I don't drink anything but water and I work 10 hour days), give or take and I sometimes get a little too giddy and get all Joker-esque on people. Some of that may seem positive but when you work 10 hours straight physical labor and realize you forgot to take a lunch or break because you never felt tired, you realize you messed up once your body starts to break down. The big difference is someone who is criminally insane would never be able to understand these things about theirself, to know they have a problem and how to control it.

Yeah, it does help if you are able to understand yourself, the triggers etc.

It's such a facinating and impossibly complex subject... I could talk about this stuff all day :chuckle:

oatmeal

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 29th, 2011 09:31 AM

No, never. Sound minds do not commit crimes worthy of capital punishment. All criminals are the result of individual choices to let their minds corrupt to the point that they do wrong.

Every person is 100% responsible for what goes on in their minds.

If they let their minds get corrupted/insane that was their choices.

And their choices alone.

"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he"

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus " Philippians 2:5

oatmeal

ghost

Hall of Fame
No, those are just common in the ilness. He based it off of my symptoms.
We should probably move this to another thread.

In the interim, you might read This

If you want I'll start a thread, although it's been my experience that pretty much everyone on this site is under the delusion that there really are so-called mental illnesses contrary to everything that God has said about being free from fear, anxiety, depression, and having a sound mind. For the most part, pseudo science trumps God again in the minds of so-called believers. :sigh:

eameece

Everyone should be excused from capital punishment. It is one more indication that we Americans are more barbaric than other peoples.

In a day and age when it has been proven by DNA testing that many prisoners held for murder are not guilty, we should not be executing people who might be innocent like Troy Davis.

When Georgia murders a corporation, then I'll believe corporations are people.

eameece

No, never. Sound minds do not commit crimes worthy of capital punishment. All criminals are the result of individual choices to let their minds corrupt to the point that they do wrong.

Every person is 100% responsible for what goes on in their minds.

If they let their minds get corrupted/insane that was their choices.

And their choices alone.

"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he"

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus " Philippians 2:5

oatmeal

Yes, and who would Jesus execute?

Thunder's Muse

We should probably move this to another thread.

In the interim, you might read This

If you want I'll start a thread, although it's been my experience that pretty much everyone on this site is under the delusion that there really are so-called mental illnesses contrary to everything that God has said about being free from fear, anxiety, depression, and having a sound mind. For the most part, pseudo science trumps God again in the minds of so-called believers. :sigh:

I'd be interesting in discussing this with you :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If we were under a righteous government that didn't have crooks in the district attorneys offices or at the police department, then I would be all for it; but only if it were for strict, premeditated murders that were proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

So what. There are corrupt governments elsewhere, and the people don't murder nearly as much because they know they themselves will be executed. The Bible says it is a deterent.

Deuteronomy 17

11 According to the sentence of the law in which they instruct you, according to the judgment which they tell you, you shall do; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left from the sentence which they pronounce upon you. 12 Now the man who acts presumptuously and will not heed the priest who stands to minister there before the LORD your God, or the judge, that man shall die. So you shall put away the evil from Israel. 13 And all the people shall hear and fear, and no longer act presumptuously.

As it stands right now, what is there to stop the state for executing someone for negligent homicide?

The Bible says to execute for manslaughter and negligent homicide. Meaning it was an accident, but completely avoidable, like drunk driving fatality. The Bible mentions an ox that is known to gore and the owner let him out. So yeah, there are reason to execute besides intentional shedding of innocent blood (murder)

eameece

What it really boils down to is we have become more concerned with the guilty than with the innocent. :(

Then why do I read stories in the papers about how DAs ignore evidence that exonerates people? Why do I see so many cases on TV of people being sentenced to death even though they are obviously innocent, because juries these days assume people are guilty?

No, fear rules us today, and we'd rather lock up innocent people than allow even one guilty person to go free. We today in America are a borderline police state. And certain lawmakers want to extend this abroad too.

Coffee is King

Then why do I read stories in the papers about how DAs ignore evidence that exonerates people? Why do I see so many cases on TV of people being sentenced to death even though they are obviously innocent, because juries these days assume people are guilty?

No, fear rules us today, and we'd rather lock up innocent people than allow even one guilty person to go free. We today in America are a borderline police state. And certain lawmakers want to extend this abroad too.

Have you ever read "World War Z" by Max Brooks? There is a great line in there about what you are saying.

Lon

No. I don't think it matters if you kill somebody who is sane or insane, the punishment is still the same, but murdering insane people just seems mean....
:drum:

Silent Hunter

A vast majority of US population consider themselves "Christian" (saying and believing are of course two different things).

Knowing that, I looked up the religious affiliation of those that have molested 8 year boys and girls, brutally raped 91 year old women, and decapitated their wives out of a moment of jealousy (OJ was innocent I tell you!).

Most of those that are responible for the above atrocities and are incarcerated because of it, call themselves "Christian".

I have the doctrine to show that they're NOT following the word of God when it came to their criminal actions, I'd really love to see yours (or could it be that atheists don't believe in God, but have no problem with following His dogma?).
:yawn: . . . true to my (self-imposed) prediction, the "No True Scotsman Fallacy" rears its ugly face.

:sigh:

Quincy

No, swear to God. I've never smoked pot even and I've never even been drunk before. I am a teetotaler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teetotalism. I was diagnosed at age 16, symptoms started around age 12-13.

Dude, you're something else! It's kind of cool we are from the same place, pretty much live the same way and actually post on here. I myself don't drink or smoke either, don't gamble either. The only one of those things I've done is drink and I hate it to be honest. I only did it cause others would push me too, but it was short lived.

Yeah, it does help if you are able to understand yourself, the triggers etc.

Pop music is my biggest trigger! That and it's subgenres are my some of favorites to listen to also, so yea. Big temptations when someone like say, Lady Gaga releases a new album.

It's such a facinating and impossibly complex subject... I could talk about this stuff all day :chuckle:

Same here, I went to college to get a psychology degree and finished a couple years of it. I couldn't keep focused enough to go all the way though :eek: . Anyways, if anyone makes a companion thread to this, I'll post in it also.

Love your new avatar! I'd pos rep you but I've repped too much in 24 hours. I dislike that bottleneck.

Silent Hunter

So, you prefer to let loose a person who goes around killing other people without knowing whether it is right or wrong?
You'd do better if you kept notes while you read along. See here.

Or do you just like using other people's money to keep them alive and caged so you can point at them and laugh as if they are monkeys in a zoo?
This is somewhat of a false dichotomy but I think straw man is a better descriptor.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not wanting to derail this thread and I'm not sure if this will relate to the topic question: Should being diagnosed insane excuse capital punishment? But it promoted me to recall from a number of years ago...

A man whose wife had come home from work and when she came through the door this man got up and shoot her, she fell to the floor and moved and the man shot her again and she died. The man called the police and told them what he had done, the police arrived did their usual business, called the coroner, and took the man to jail. The man was brought before the judge and the man pled guilty to killing his wife and would forgo a trial by jury, and was sentenced a month later.

During the month that this man awaited sentencing he went through some psychiatric tests and evaluation due to the the man did not know why he shot and killed his wife, and determined that he would probably never know or understand why. It three court sessions to get the man sentenced because he would break down so badly, on the fourth court session this man's attorney asked the court to get the sentencing done explaining that the man may never know why he killed his wife, with that the man was sentenced to 16 years to the state mental hospital, he served eight of the sixteen, did two years at a minimum security facility, and was then released to a family member.

I don't know how this relates except to say that I believe there is a small percentage of those who commit a capital crime that have no idea what they have done, I would say that if that is the case and the sentence for their crime can be death, that sentence should held until they understand what they have done. I do believe in the use of the death penalty and that it should be given and applied when there is no doubt.

The man in the above event was a friend of mine for a long time (until his death), I even wrote to him while was in the state mental hospital and at the minimum security facility, he died in 2002 and his daughter said that he never did come understand or a comprehension of what he had done.

Last edited:

ghost

Hall of Fame

Not wanting to derail this thread and I'm not sure if this will relate to the topic question: Should being diagnosed insane excuse capital punishment? But it promoted me to recall from a number of years ago...

A man whose wife had come home from work and when she came through the door this man got up and shoot her, she fell to the floor and moved and the man shot her again and she died. The man called the police and told them what he had done, the police arrived did their usual business, called the coroner, and took the man to jail. The man was brought before the judge and the man pled guilty to killing his wife and would forgo a trial by jury, and was sentenced a month later.

During the month that this man awaited sentencing he went through some psychiatric tests and evalution due to the the man did know why he shot and killed his wife, and determined that he would probably never know or understand why. It three court sessions to get the man sentenced because he would break down so badly, on the fourth court session this man's attorney asked the court to get the sentencing done explaining that the man may never know why he killed his wife, with that the man was sentenced to 16 years to the state mental hospital, he served 8 of the sixteen, did two years at a minimum security facility, and was then released to a family member.

I don't know how this relates except to say that I believe there is a small percentage of those who commit a capital crime that have no idea what they have done, I would say that if that is the case and the sentence for their crime can be death, that sentence should held until they understand what they have done. I do believe in the use of the death penalty and that it should be given and applied when there is no doubt.

The man in the above event was a friend of mine for a long time (until his death), I even wrote to him while was in the state mental hospital and at the minimum security facility, he died in 2002 and his daughter said that he never did come understand or a comprehension of what he had done.
Why does it matter that he understands what he did?

"Officer, I know you clocked me going 70 in a 40, but I don't know why I did it, so don't give me a ticket until I figure it out". :rolleyes:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why does it matter that he understands what he did?

"Officer, I know you clocked me going 70 in a 40, but I don't know why I did it, so don't give me a ticket until I figure it out". :rolleyes:

I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, did I not post I wasn't sure how my post would relate, I just happen to remember what had happened and how it turned out.

Apparently it mattered to the man's attorney and the judge, and that might be the case.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I'll second that.
Third.

Danger is danger. If you can't control it that is even more reason to remove you from society, permanently.

Locking you up only puts the guards, staff and those locked up with you in danger.

The purpose is not punishment. Death penalty in itself accomplishes nothing, it is a form of justice that is not needed in a developed society that has secure prisons.
Translation: :blabla:

People should not be put to death by the state period. He certainly should have a tougher punishment, but death is not the answer.

Death is not a deterrent to crime. Prison is a deterrent. I would rather die than go through life in prison myself.
So you don't believe in mercy?