toldailytopic: Should AZ shooter Jared Loughner be forgiven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Number one, all I know about Hitler, I learned from history books and television/movies. I've never known him personally (I'm not old enough to know him personally.). Never knowing him automatically tells me that I cannot like or dislike (love or hate) him.

Number two, I can hate what a person does without actually hating the person. Example: I hate that my sister abused her kids and lost custody of all but one of them to her ex-husband (The one she didn't lose custody of isn't his child.). I still love my sister. In fact, I love my sister enough to tell her that what she's done to her kids is wrong. By the way, I can forgive my sister for what she's done to my nephews and my niece because I know them and love them. My anger for what she's done to them could affect my every day life.

In other words, if I knew Adolf Hitler personally, I could still hate what he did/does without actually hating him. :doh:

What if there was a connection between your ex-husband and Hitler?

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Can't we forgive and punish through chastisement?

It depends on the severity of the crime Buddy.

p13553nk993.jpg

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What if there was a connection between your ex-husband and Hitler?

LOL

Now, you're reaching. My ex-husband is two years younger than I am and is half native American. There goes your connection. Like me, the only thing he knows of Hitler, he learned from history books and television (more likely that he learned from TV than from history books). On top of that, my ex is two years younger than I am. His father was born at the end of WWII (as was my mother). And, since both families have been in the USA for many generations, there is no connection to Hitler.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
I guess I don't need to say much more about this except for the fact that more evidence is surfacing daily that would suggest that government should have done much more to investigate this individual who showed plenty of warning signs in advance that he was planning an assassination.

Please share the evidence. While you're at it, what are the "warning signs" that a mass murderer displays prior to his act of violence?

I dealt with a guy years ago that was terminated from his place of employment and hand wrote a 32 page letter to the General Manager of the business (in small print no less) professing his love for her.

At the end of the letter he happened to mention that he was going to return "wrapped in his country's flag (which wasn't the US) and kill a bunch of people."

A restraining order was filed against the psycho and that's the last I ever heard of him.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
LOL

Now, you're reaching. My ex-husband is two years younger than I am and is half native American. There goes your connection. Like me, the only thing he knows of Hitler, he learned from history books and television (more likely that he learned from TV than from history books). On top of that, my ex is two years younger than I am. His father was born at the end of WWII (as was my mother). And, since both families have been in the USA for many generations, there is no connection to Hitler.

Hitler was influenced by Darwin. Was your ex-husband influenced by Darwin?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hitler was influenced by Darwin. Was your ex-husband influenced by Darwin?

Not that I know of. He was greatly influenced by Smirnoff Vodka, though. Does that count? I doubt that J could tell you who Darwin was.

fzappa13

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 13th, 2011 11:03 AM

toldailytopic: Should AZ shooter Jared Loughner be forgiven?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Only if he asks ... I assume you remember that little 7 x 70 speech, right?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The people who drink Vodka do so out of the reason of Anarchism.

Some people drink vodka because they enjoy the taste of vodka or how it makes them feel, Joey. It doesn't have anything to do with anarchism. And, you trying to make what my ex did the fault of either Hitler or vodka is stupid. He made the choice to hit me and he made the choice to molest children (including his own). He hit me when he was sober so you cannot blame vodka for that. And, he molested my daughter while sober. So, what happened Joey? Why should I forgive Hitler or the makers of vodka for what my ex-husband chose, without the help of either of them, to do to me and my daughter?

Newman

JoeyArnold said:
Hitler believed in Anarchism. People drink Vodka. Vodka believes in Anarchism.

The people who drink Vodka do so out of the reason of Anarchism.

:squint:

Hitler believed in a massive, super-sized, ultra-controlling dictatorial state, which is, I hope you know, the opposite of the goals of anarchists.

Yes. People do drink Vodka.

Yet, even though one of your premises is wrong, you come up with some independently wrong conclusion (independent in that it would be wrong even IF Hitler was an anarchist). Vodka believes in anarchism? What?

The people that drink vodka (not my D.O.C.) do so because they like it over other beverage choices. It has absolutely nothing to do with anarchy.

I'm going to have to pull a Granite here: "Do you even listen to yourself?"

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I don't understand the question.

Should any of us personally revile Jared Loughner? Supposing that we were to encounter him, should we throw tomatoes, call him names, etc.? No.

Should he go free from prison? No, that guy is crazy and extremely dangerous.

Should he be killed? No. We have to respect his personhood. If he safely can be locked away in prison and our rightful claim to self-defense doesn't necessitate his death, then he ought not to die.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
As Mr. Block correctly notes:

To whom, then, does the murderer owe his life?

To God. Same as everyone. A life isn't a possession that can be bought and sold. It's not a right that can be transferred. It's inviolable in an absolute sense. The only justification for killing someone if the killing immediately is necessitated by reason of self-defense. He's in police custody. He's in prison. There's no reason he should die.

Obviously, to the heirs of the victim. If I murder a family man, for example, his widow and children then come to "own" me.

That's crazy. A man isn't an Xbox 360. His life doesn't have a price tag. He isn't a consumer good.

Status
Not open for further replies.