toldailytopic: Satan: literal or figurative?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In a often overlooked passage God uses the King of Tyre as an example to describe how Satan was actually created as a protector in the Garden. It was Satan who took opportunity (via pride) to disobey God and therefore fell (we learn in Revelation that about one third of the angels fell with him).
Ezekiel 28:11 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 12 “Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “You were the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created. 14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. 15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you. 16 “By the abundance of your trading You became filled with violence within, And you sinned; Therefore I cast you as a profane thing Out of the mountain of God; And I destroyed you, O covering cherub, From the midst of the fiery stones. 17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor; I cast you to the ground, I laid you before kings, That they might gaze at you. 18 “You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you.​

I suspected all along that this king was used an a example of how God knocked Satan down for rebelling against God. Satan wants to be a king but he isn't.

People give the devil too much credit. I agree with Vegas. The devil doesn't give people flat tires, ruptured radiators or cancer. These things are the result of a decaying world.

elohiym

In a often overlooked passage God uses the King of Tyre as an example to describe how Satan was actually created as a protector in the Garden.

Those verses are solely regarding the King of Tyre. There is no evidence to prove they relate in any way to a being called Satan. It's a completely baseless assumption. The claim those verses somehow are describing a being called Satan is a doctrine created by men.

At creation everything in heaven and on earth were good! (even Satan).

Was "good Satan" a literal serpent or a literal "anointed cherub?" See the problem?

And don't forget, Jesus said the devil was a murderer from the beginning.

Yet Satan fell by tempting Eve to sin.... notice what God tells Lucifer regarding what Lucifer did in the garden...

"Lucifer" was never a person's name. The word means "light bearer" and was referring solely to the King of Babylon, a man. It has nothing to do with a being called Satan.

God cursed Satan because what he did in the garden, God did not create Satan as a evil being.

Literal snake or literal cherub?

If the serpent is figurative, a personification of the carnal mind, then it's not an issue of anyone being created evil. If a personification, then Peter was not temporarily possessed by a disembodied Satan. If not, then Satan doesn't have a body and can possess followers of Christ (like Peter) at will, against their will.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Those verses are solely regarding the King of Tyre. There is no evidence to prove they relate in any way to a being called Satan. It's a completely baseless assumption. The claim those verses somehow are describing a being called Satan is a doctrine created by men.
You are free to think whatever you want to think I suppose. :idunno: I believe the evidence is beyond clear and in the favor of what I have presented.

If you don't believe God was comparing the King of Tyre to Satan who/what was He comparing him to? Was there another figure in the garden with Adam and Eve who turned evil?

Last edited:

PureX

The corruption of that which was once good.
That would be an expression of the idea of evil. But what would be the actual substance of evil? Is it the flat tire that causes us to miss church? Is it the disease that causes someone we love to suffer? Is it the gun the killer uses to murder an innocent child? Or maybe the bullet?

Seems to me that evil does not manifest as substance, but is rather an ideal, through which we conceptualize the objects and events in the world around us. Or do you imagine that the evil is actually in the tire that suddenly deflates and causes the wreckage that corrupts the body of the child that was, preceding this event, good?

Furthermore...
Would a perfect father put a poisonous snake in the crib with his new born baby? Of course not! God put Satan in the garden as a protector! Yet Satan fell. Satan used his own freewill to disobey God and thus the history of mankind begins with a bang!

interesting, so you contend that this was when the fall of satan actually was, not at some later date. Yet Satan, if literal, still seems to "work" for God in the book of Job.

hmmm. this idea of Satan can also I think be figurative. The word also has the connotations of a simple verb, according to strong's dictionary it seems.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
interesting, so you contend that this was when the fall of satan actually was, not at some later date. Yet Satan, if literal, still seems to "work" for God in the book of Job.
Satan never "works" for God.

God on occasion let Satan go unrestrained as to make a point (just as He allows evil people to often times go unrestrained), yet that doesn't mean that Satan is God's employee, just as evil people are not God's labor force.

TruthSetsFree

Satan is literal. He was placed in the garden with Adam and Eve as a protector. Satan (having freewill) turned from God and fell into rebellion.

And while Satan maybe the symbol for evil he is not the "king of evil" nor does he have any special standing or power in hell. Satan does not torture or manage the people who end up in hell.

i have heard several acounts that say otherwise

but who can prove whether those who claim to have been in Hell have really been there??

it just makes sense, though, that Hell would be torture since..

Hell is the absence of God

(God being all good)

to lose God would seem to entail losing all good

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
i have heard several acounts that say otherwise

but who can prove whether those who claim to have been in Hell have really been there??

it just makes sense, though, that Hell would be torture since..

Hell is the absence of God

(God being all good)

to lose God would seem to entail losing all good
Of course hell is torture. Nobody said otherwise.

What I am saying is Satan isn't the king if hell whipping people and punishing them. Satan is just like everyone else who turned from God, in that he has created his own torture knowing that he will forever live without God's mercy.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Literal, a real spiritual being.

In fact Satan is the ultimate example of iniquity and darkness.
2 Corinthians 6:15

Ryrie's treatment is not a bad starting point:

View attachment 16978

;)
AMR

Last edited:

Buzzword

If literal, where is he?
I mean really.
If God alone represents the highest order of existence, and everything else in creation is on the lower level, then what is the PHYSICAL location of this thing called Satan?

Figuratively, he/it can represent base human instinct, which God (the higher level of existence) offers an eventual, total escape from.

Much more wiggle room for logic and reason if we treat "Satan" as a literary device.

LadyGreenEyes

Literal. The Bible is clear that he was an angel, that rebelled and sinned against God, all because of pride, and that he took about a third of the other angels with him. Talk about pride going before a fall!!

As for a body, yes, he can have one, just as unfallen angels can. Agree that he is not the cause of all evil. We are responsible for our own actions, though people can and are influenced by the fallen ones.

Agree as well that he is NOT in charge of Hell. He will be a prisoner there just like all the rest. he isn't some equal-but-opposite with God, but is a created being, and subject to God's rule as are all His creations.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
It's been said that the greatest work Satan has ever accomplished is having people convinced he doesn't exist. He is literal, actual, and is right over the shoulders of those who deny it.

The reason why some would go to say that Satan is 'figurative' is because the Bible, in funny ways, can give the impression that Satan is simply the unGodly character of our fallen nature. For example, when Jesus went and fasted for 40 days, it was his struggling will ans not an actual being tempting him. Some will go to say that Satan would never tempt God period, and so how could this have happened?

I am not a Trinitarian, in fact I'm quite the contrary, but whether one posits that it was because God was in the flesh and therefore subject to temptation or that Jesus just simply isn't God Himself, the whole of the Bible reveals a real and living Satan. It's indisputable. In fact, there are other angels to be named, such as Leviathan, Belial, Azazel, and so on that stand out a bit from the 1/3. One will just have to look beyond the biblical canon to have all that revealed to them.

Guildenstern

You are free to think whatever you want to think I suppose. :idunno: I believe the evidence is beyond clear and in the favor of what I have presented.

If you don't believe God was comparing the King of Tyre to Satan who/what was He comparing him to? Was there another figure in the garden with Adam and Eve who turned evil?
Satan is able to control aspects of the world. He "entered into" Judas to coerce him to hand over Jesus. As demonstrated through the temptation of Jesus upon a great mountain, it is obvious that he has/had perfect control over the world at that time.

It is not only obvious he is literal, but that during the rebuke of that human king of Tyre, the messenger of God that was relaying the message was also speaking directly to Satan who was in attendance at that event. There is clearly a duality to his message.

The OP is spot on. Sadly, I really do not have anything to add to this discussion. If Satan were truly figurative, it seems quite ridiculous that both God, Jesus, angels, and humans (all of literal creation) were able to have literal, physical interactions with him...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Satan: literal or figurative?

Literal.

In a often overlooked passage God uses the King of Tyre as an example to describe how Satan was actually created as a protector in the Garden. It was Satan who took opportunity (via pride) to disobey God and therefore fell (we learn in Revelation that about one third of the angels fell with him).
Ezekiel 28:11 Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 12 “Son of man, take up a lamentation for the king of Tyre, and say to him, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD: “You were the seal of perfection, Full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. 13 You were in Eden, the garden of God; Every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz, and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes Was prepared for you on the day you were created. 14 “You were the anointed cherub who covers; I established you; You were on the holy mountain of God; You walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones. 15 You were perfect in your ways from the day you were created, Till iniquity was found in you. 16 “By the abundance of your trading You became filled with violence within, And you sinned; Therefore I cast you as a profane thing Out of the mountain of God; And I destroyed you, O covering cherub, From the midst of the fiery stones. 17 “Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor; I cast you to the ground, I laid you before kings, That they might gaze at you. 18 “You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you.​
Therefore we know that Satan was created as a "anointed cherub who covers" and it was Satan who fell (God didn't create him evil) "You corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor".
I also agree that the passages are talking about Satan.

faramir77

Seminary Camp or Divinity Camp. The Literal Camp or Actual Camp.

To get from Horeb to Zion one must pass through the Valley of Bacca, and the road back to Eden is fraught with peril.

Isaiah 14 "Lucifer" was a term and concept introduced by St. Jerome when translating
Latin Vulgate for the Romanists. The term in Hebrew is Helel or Helail (i forget exactally) which means "Boaster" or one who makes great claims or boasts.
Diablo, The Accuser of the bretheren, who spends his time speaking against those who claim attonement thru the blood of Christ.

Ooh, a shadow just passed over the sun. Creepy.

bybee

Seminary Camp or Divinity Camp. The Literal Camp or Actual Camp.

To get from Horeb to Zion one must pass through the Valley of Bacca, and the road back to Eden is fraught with peril.

Isaiah 14 "Lucifer" was a term and concept introduced by St. Jerome when translating
Latin Vulgate for the Romanists. The term in Hebrew is Helel or Helail (i forget exactally) which means "Boaster" or one who makes great claims or boasts.
Diablo, The Accuser of the bretheren, who spends his time speaking against those who claim attonement thru the blood of Christ.

Ooh, a shadow just passed over the sun. Creepy.

I don't ever make light of evil! It exists and it uses any means possible to sow discord, discontent, envy, greed, judgmentalism, elitism and not to forget gluttony!