toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quincy

:wave: Hello John

For Christianity though, marriage is something very symbolic and particular. Why Gay & Lesbian people would want anything to do with the Christian church beats me. I see why they would want something to do with Jesus Christ - but that's a very different matter.

I think some people interpret the levitical passages to be implying that the practice of a man pretending to be another man's wife and laying with that man. In the KJV, the situation is referred to as mankind and womankind. Depending on how you interpret that, it could mean something other than same literal sex. It was a common practice is temples back then. It was basically just dominating another. So they believe that they can declare their love and devotion in Holy matrimony and it is something completely different than that. :D

I agree with your premise here, though. I would go so far to say, "why would anyone want to get married :freak: ." :eek:

Last edited:

Quincy

Man, I took too long replying. This thread really took off, much to my shock and dismay. Who knew TOLers like to talk about this so much. Where have I been :freak: ? Anyways, luckily I found this :cheers:

Here is my view Quincy:

1. Homosexuality is harmful
2. The government should not condone things which are harmful to individuals as well as society at large, therefore the government should have no part in gay marriage

So the question at stake is only whether homosexuality is harmful or disordered, right? Your whole case rises and falls on the belief that it is harmless, just as mine rises and falls on the belief that it is harmful. Do we agree so far?

Yes I do agree with you so far. So, Zippy, why do you believe it is harmful? Note that I am referring to two homosexuals loving each other and not a promiscuous sex act. I would say that any promiscuous sex act is dangerous, regardless of orientation.

Selaphiel

zippy said:
A form of abuse? Why? Are you a vegetarian? A vegan? Are you against riding horses? Do you protest at the zoo? Is consent an important factor in the animal kingdom?

Once again, I don't think that is a valid comparison. Just because I eat animals which is part of a normal diet does not mean that I'm willing to torture them.
Animal rights do matter, we are animals as well.

I have 4 homosexual friends, and that simply isn't true according to my experience. How do you feel about fornication?

Homosexual couples say they love each other. I have no more reason to doubt that than when a heterosexual couple say they love each other.

What actual experience with homosexuality do you have, other than thought experiments and liberal secularizing influences?

What experience do you have other than thought experience and conservative Catholic influences?

The lawsuits are starting in Europe, but man up, it's your own arguments that force euthanasia. And more than that, assisted suicide.

Of course there are people who support it. However, euthanasia does not follow from secularism. Euthanasia was, is and will be opposed from secular sources. Secularism is not the problem in the euthanasia debate, lack of information and poor understanding of the relevant ethical implications.

You reject statistical data when it suits you and require it when it suits you. That is simply the sway of things in political philosophy: contract theory. It's not contested, it may not be complete but it is widespread and growing.

What statistical data have I rejected? You did not present any statistical data, you presented an assertion that all secular people think that the law is there merely for protection. That may very well be the case, but you have in no way demonstrated that and it is a bald assertion to make without any evidence.
And I do not think it is wrong to think that the law is for protection. You are confusing legality with morality, they are not always the same.

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

Because you have no clue why scripture says what it says about homosexuality. There is a whole ancient biology at the root of Paul's understanding of homosexuality, a ridiculous outdated biology. Context matters.

So do you not think any of the scriptures talking about homosexuality were inspired by the Holy Spirit? Do you not believe that God gave the Law to Moses? Or do you think modern man knows better than God? I just can't see where you're coming from. I mean, if you think it's all made up by a bunch of ancient goat-herders, fishermen, and tent-makers who didn't know what they were talking about, why even claim to follow any of it?

Selaphiel

So do you not think any of the scriptures talking about homosexuality were inspired by the Holy Spirit? Do you not believe that God gave the Law to Moses? Or do you think modern man knows better than God? I just can't see where you're coming from. I mean, if you think it's all made up by a bunch of ancient goat-herders who didn't know what they were talking about, why even claim to follow any of it?

So those are my options? Inerrant literal word of God or nonsense written by ancient goat-herders? I sense a false dilemma fallacy here. It was written by men, that does not mean that all of it is nonsense. Some of it is built on outdated knowledge and worldviews, that is simply a fact.

One Eyed Jack

So those are my options? Inerrant literal word of God or nonsense written by ancient goat-herders?

Are you suggesting it's both? Or neither? I'm just trying to see where you're coming from. Do you prefer the Jefferson Bible?

I sense a false dilemma fallacy here. It was written by men, that does not mean that all of it is nonsense. Some of it is built on outdated knowledge and worldviews, that is simply a fact.

Did God inspire any of it? What's right? What's wrong? How can you tell which is which?

Selaphiel

Did God inspire any of it? What's right? What's wrong? How can you tell?

Reason and experience, as in using my mind to study it and other knowledge.

Example: Genesis 1 and 2 are myths, they do not convey any factual information about how the earth and the universe came to be.
The text attempts to describe it (although I would not say that the authors attempted to write science), but it is simply wrong. The universe is 13,7 billion years old, life probably originated through abiogenesis, life diversified through the process of evolution. No man was ever 900 years old, and there was no flood. No amount of blind faith changes those facts.

One Eyed Jack

Reason and experience, as in using my mind to study it and other knowledge.

Example: Genesis 1 and 2 are myths, they do not convey any factual information about how the earth and the universe came to be.
The text attempts to describe it (although I would not say that the authors attempted to write science), but it is simply wrong. The universe is 13,7 billion years old, life probably originated through abiogenesis, life diversified through the process of evolution. No man was ever 900 years old, and there was no flood. No amount of blind faith changes those facts.

That's not really relevant to this discussion anyway. Do you believe that God gave the Law to Moses, or do you think Moses just made them up and said God gave them to him? Or is there something else that you think may have happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.