toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexlunae

Also from your link, "The Census Bureau doesn't ask whether couples are childless by choice, but the bureau projects that the percentage of families with children under 18 will decline from 47.7 percent in 1995 to 41.3 percent by 2010."

This seems to imply that there are many married women who are childless not by choice, for any number of reasons. If so, then a minority of marriages are actually raising children.

who can say how many of them later had children?

the numbers we are looking for are impossible to get

It's your made-up number. You put it at 95%, which was supposed to include all situations of childlessness. Note also that the 6.6% is only for childless-by-choice, and doesn't cover any of the other reasons that a couple could be childless, including factors such as infertility and financial reasons.

every household is childless before and after raising a family

That still can't make up the difference.

just take a look at those you know
and

I don't put much stock in anecdotal evidence, but very few of the couples I know in my own generation, including the married couples, have children. Those that do are mostly in the next older generation which suggests a trend against you if anything. But as I said, I don't put much stock in it.

you should be able to get a feel for the numbers

I think we get into demographic differences between us too quickly. I really don't think those comparisons will work. Lets stick to statistics.

rexlunae

I'm 80% sure that Chrys is fudging the numbers. I polled myself, so the margin of error is less than 5%. :plain:

I'm 195% sure you're right. But then, I took the survey twice and just added the numbers together to make it sound bigger. Because I'm pretty sure he did that too.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
are you able to work while taking care of your child?
Why? You putting together some sort of competition? :think:

The great thing about writing is you can do it anywhere. Well, anywhere you can take a laptop, if you like writing on one...or using one, which is better.

or
do you just do TOL
Do you ever have server interference issues with all that metal overhead or does the water have some sort of bouncing benefit? I'm not a technical person, but I've always been curious... :plain:

I'm 195% sure you're right. But then, I took the survey twice and just added the numbers together to make it sound bigger. Because I'm pretty sure he did that too.
Ah, well you have a larger sample that way. :thumb:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Okay. The corporation, well, most businesses have a more active interference/oversight than any marriage.
Not sure what your point is here. My contention hasn't been that marriage shares something that no other institution, contract has.

No. Both corporations and marriages take filings that have to meet statute. Corporate filings are much more involved, time consuming and complicated. Both require licenses and payments and a measure of oversight.
I don't think that affects my point.

The state has a financial stake in corporations and in marriages by virtue of tax breaks. I don't know about liability as you're using it.
If you don't like the word liability, don't use it. Perhaps it was an error on my part. If "financial stake" is better that sounds good.

That's okay, neither do the proponents of that notion. :eek:
:chuckle:

To promote its own prosperity and stability, of course. Why do you invest?
Who said I do? :noid:

But yes, of course that is presumably the why.

Not sure why that matters, but both help produce productive citizenry in their different ways. What, in particular, are you angling to see?
I'm not sure how you can say it doesn't matter considering what you just directly above this.

And my potential suggestion is that the government is taking a financial stake unnecessarily.

If by that you mean make certain my part was clearly understood by anyone actually interested in more than waiting for their turn to speak, sure. :p :D
No. I meant the 1st thing. :D

And significantly less than, say, the corporation. Right. And some in all.
No argument.

Maybe. But why not make it easier for people to enter into contracts which inarguably benefit you? That's an easy answer for the state that doesn't require speculation.
It's an easy answer for why I want them to.

Probably because there's no secular justification.
It appears that way.

People are happier in committed relationships. Happier makes them better members of the compact.
And committed relationships would remain regardless.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Not sure what your point is here.
Then why are you going into the point?

My contention hasn't been that marriage shares something that no other institution, contract has.
Supra.

I don't think that affects my point.
What was that again? :think:

If you don't like the word liability, don't use it. Perhaps it was an error on my part. If "financial stake" is better that sounds good.
Not a matter of liking, just trying to get at the point you're advancing with this examination...or, supra.

Who said I do? :noid:
I hear things. Chrys does too, but in my case it's mostly from external sources.

Mostly...:noid:

...committed relationships would remain regardless.
Like saying contracts aren't necessary because people will still need to exchange things anyway. :chuckle:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Why? You putting together some sort of competition? :think:

The great thing about writing is you can do it anywhere. Well, anywhere you can take a laptop, if you like writing on one...or using one, which is better.

Do you ever have server interference issues with all that metal overhead or does the water have some sort of bouncing benefit? I'm not a technical person, but I've always been curious... :plain:

Ah, well you have a larger sample that way. :thumb:

do you have your own health care?
or
are you covered by the mother who works?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Then my answer is yes. I would have children without getting married as you have defined it. Why do I need state recognition to have children?

Children need a stable, loving relationship. I call that marriage, whether or not the government calls it the same thing.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Then my answer is yes. I would have children without getting married as you have defined it. Why do I need state recognition to have children?

Children need a stable, loving relationship. I call that marriage, whether or not the government calls it the same thing.

you would be giving up the benefits the state allows a married couple

are you aware of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.