toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
As useful as this may be for government bureaucracy perhaps in targeting welfare but it has very little to do with real people actually wanting to be married, straight or gay, nor in whether or not they actually do have (or adopt) children.:IA:

why people get married is really not the issue here

why the government wants them to get married is

the future depends on children
and
how they are taken care of is important

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Who said that they're married couples? That estimate is children with gay parents. In 2000, when there was even less option for same-sex marriage.

with homosexual parents or have homosexual parents

I know many who have a homosexual parent but they are not being taken care of by that homosexual parent

how do you think they came up with a figure like that?
and
do you have any reason to believe it?

zoo22

with homosexual parents or have homosexual parents

I know many who have a homosexual parent but they are not being taken care of by that homosexual parent

how do you think they came up with a figure like that?
and
do you have any reason to believe it?

Look, Chrysostom, the estimate in 2000 was 8-10+ million. Make it a million, I don't care. How many is enough for you to qualify as "very many?"

Like I'd said, I'm not going to run circles or jump through your hoops. Yes, I believe there are many millions of kids with same-sex parents. If you don't believe it, look it up yourself, and let us know.

rexlunae

those numbers are not believable

there have only been 85,000 same sex marriages in the US since 1997, over half of them in California, and if each couple had five kids that would give you less than a half million

so how many same sex couples do you know with children and without children? know any with five?

So, you argue that gay couples don't need marriage because they can't have kids, but then you assume that all gay parents raising kids are married, despite the fact that the vast majority of gay people in the US can't get married in their states.

:bang:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So, you argue that gay couples don't need marriage because they can't have kids, but then you assume that all gay parents raising kids are married, despite the fact that the vast majority of gay people in the US can't get married in their states.

:bang:

I have my own survey

homosexual couples that I know are not taking care of any children
those who have a homosexual parent are not being taken care of by that parent

what are the results of your survey?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have my own survey

So if Dave only knows five Catholic fathers and one of those has a kid he doesn't support he can boldly declare that twenty percent of Catholics are dead beat dads. :rolleyes:

You don't fashion rules from the anecdotal. Especially not when people like you with dogmatic bias will tend to see/notice the thing that supports that very thing.

alwight

we need children to survive
and
our government should encourage those who have them

where did you say that?
Well, I argued that this wasn't the reason why the government supported marriage.
I said it instead took a fiscal and pragmatic position on marriage.
But I really don't think a shortage of babies is all that much of a problem at the moment, do you?

zoo22

I have my own survey

Well, there it is then. A survey's a survey.

Looking out my window right now, I've a surveyed that there's no one outside today. Go figure. No one. Bizarre. Like a dream. If I didn't have you folks communicating with me on TOL, I'd think I was the only one left.

:plain:

alwight

Looking out my window right now, I've a surveyed that there's no one outside today. Go figure. No one. Bizarre. Like a dream. If I didn't have you folks communicating with me on TOL, I'd think I was the only one left.

Yes it's raining all over the world according to mine.:)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

I note that, apparently, Catholics don't understand statistics and the methodology for establishing a sample. :plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
lying statistics?

how about dishonest reporting?

they concluded same sex parents are better parents because those who adopt have proven to be better parents

the study was based on male/female couples who adopted

Arthur Brain

you wouldn't answer my question

would you consider having children without getting married?

I don't believe this. How many more times? As I don't plan on having kids then it's unlikely though possible as things are subject to change. Is that answer now satisfactory?

Arthur Brain

do you think the government should provides incentives that will encourage the welfare of children?

Well, I don't know how things work in the state you live in Chrys but over here couples receive benefits that cater for children whether they're married or not...

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't believe this. How many more times? As I don't plan on having kids then it's unlikely though possible as things are subject to change. Is that answer now satisfactory?

no

the question was

Arthur Brain

no

the question was

I've just bloody answered you!!!!!! :doh: Unlikely but possible!

:doh:

Now if you're just going to do your bog standard tapdance then as Rex said a few pages ago, just buzz off.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I've just bloody answered you!!!!!! :doh: Unlikely but possible!

:doh:

Now if you're just going to do your bog standard tapdance then as Rex said a few pages ago, just buzz off.

would you consider that irresponsible to have children without getting married?

Status
Not open for further replies.