toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I used one of any number of potential religious impositions on the public square if we base our law singularly on our moral notion without a corresponding justification that doesn't require it.

So, unless you think Sharia law would be a good thing to have in your neighborhood, you don't want to advocate that principle.

so you consider the Catholic Church to be as threatening as Islam?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Do you consider Islam in any form a threat?

:plain:

Let me know when you want to discuss the actual point and illustration in relation to the consideration of the OP.

yes I do consider Islam a threat and Sharia law is a reality in many places
and
do you know anywhere the Church has outlawed condoms?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
yes I do consider Islam a threat
Interesting. Well, we all have our crosses to bear, bias to struggle against. Good luck with yours.

and Sharia law is a reality in many places
And if you find that objectionable you understand my point.

and
do you know anywhere the Church has outlawed condoms?
I don't know anywhere the Catholic Church holds secular power outside of the Holy See.

Do they sell condoms there? :plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Interesting. Well, we all have our crosses to bear, bias to struggle against. Good luck with yours.

And if you find that objectionable you understand my point.

I don't know anywhere the Catholic Church holds secular power outside of the Holy See.

Do they sell condoms there? :plain:

so I am still confused why you would say that you would not want the Church to outlaw condoms, compare it with Sharia law, and then say that you don't consider Islam a threat

what are you trying to say?

Breathe

I used one of any number of potential religious impositions on the public square if we base our law singularly on our moral notion without a corresponding justification that doesn't require it.

So, unless you think Sharia law would be a good thing to have in your neighborhood, you don't want to advocate that principle.

I agree totally. A system based on Christian beliefs and principles might make a lot of believers happy, but Christianity may not always be the religion of the majority. Basing our laws upon any religion sets a dangerous precedent - if religion gets it's foot in the door, then whatever religion those in power hold to could become the basis for law. Indeed, at the rate Islam is growing in this country, it could one day be the religion of the majority. I wonder how those who want prayer back in school would feel if their children or grandchildren had to face Mecca and pray in the classroom?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I agree totally. A system based on Christian beliefs and principles might make a lot of believers happy, but Christianity may not always be the religion of the majority. Basing our laws upon any religion sets a dangerous precedent - if religion gets it's foot in the door, then whatever religion those in power hold to could become the basis for law. Indeed, at the rate Islam is growing in this country, it could one day be the religion of the majority. I wonder how those who want prayer back in school would feel if their children or grandchildren had to face Mecca and pray in the classroom?

so are you worried about the Church outlawing condoms?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Religion is personal; what is consensus, agreed upon for the best of all, for the sake of a civil society, becomes law, such as murder, while praying is agreed by many, is not essential to live safely in society, as such, it remains personal.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Religion is personal; what is consensus, agreed upon for the best of all, for the sake of a civil society, becomes law, such as murder, while praying is agreed by many, is not essential to live safely in society, as such, it remains personal.

are you worried about the Church outlawing condoms?

Breathe

maybe you have not been following the dialogue
I responded to TH's post, so I would have to be. Perhaps I am not following the nonsense.
However, if it will make you happy - not being Catholic, and being spayed, I don't really care if they outlaw condoms. Last time I looked, Catholic law affected no one but those Catholics who choose to obey it.

BUT, if you permit ANY religion to dictate civil law, someday a belief system you do not agree with will be in power, and they will get to make the rules. So it really is best to keep our laws secular.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Yes, because the removal of the details in conjunction with "in principle" would cause no contradiction. It would be "in principle, procreation is possible". That is a sound claim, because in principle, with no details or circumstances, procreation is possible.

OK. :up:

I found Keyes argument sound. I just disagree with his more narrow definition or use of marriage.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I responded to TH's post, so I would have to be. Perhaps I am not following the nonsense.
However, if it will make you happy - not being Catholic, and being spayed, I don't really care if they outlaw condoms. Last time I looked, Catholic law affected no one but those Catholics who choose to obey it.

BUT, if you permit ANY religion to dictate civil law, someday a belief system you do not agree with will be in power, and they will get to make the rules. So it really is best to keep our laws secular.

this nonsense started because town heretic said he would not want the Church to outlaw condoms, compared it to Sharia law, but didn't think Islam was a threat
so
can you make sense of that?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
this nonsense started because town heretic said he would not want the Church to outlaw condoms, compared it to Sharia law, but didn't think Islam was a threat
so

I'm surprised you can't. :plain:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
can you explain it to us?

You are missing the point and principle behind what Townie said.

However, I actually don't think you do miss it. I think you are just being difficult
because
you have become
a cranky
old man

:D

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You are missing the point and principle behind what Townie said.

However, I actually don't think you do miss it. I think you are just being difficult
because
you have become
a cranky
old man

:D

so you are not going to explain it?

Breathe

so

Absolutely. You can't? :D
I believe he was saying the same thing I just said, only in a much more eloquent and lawyerly way.

Status
Not open for further replies.