toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexlunae

You have my word, I will not prevent homosexuals from procreating. :D

Well great. That's something, anyway.
:argue:

What's your point here? We're talking about civil marriage.

That's exactly what I'm referring to. Civil marriage exists to bolster families, whether there are children in the family or not.

I haven't argued that, you've simply twisted my words like so many others in the thread, which is why I wasn't replying to you in the first place.

Well, if it serves other purposes, what reason can you give to deny it to homosexual couples?

Non-sequitur, we are concerned with what "bolstering families" means.

It's not non-sequitur if you know what a family is.

I've said homosexuals can't procreate, you folks don't seem to understand what that actually means.

I understand what you mean perfectly. What you don't understand is that we've pointed out to you several reasons that that isn't relevant. Fertility is not expected of the couples applying for a marriage license in any state, so it is unfair and discriminatory to apply the standard to homosexuals.

Asserting "it isn't even part of the process" does just that :idunno:

Here's the actual exchange:

Why do you believe the government grants special aid to married couples? Does their procreative status have something to do with it?
No, obviously not. It isn't even a part of the process.

All I pointed out is that procreative status is not a precondition acknowledged in any jurisdiction in the country. Far from begging the question, I pointed out that you are applying a standard to homosexuals which is not applied to anyone else despite the fact that it could be.

You're putting words in my mouth, I've merely said homosexuals can't procreate.

No, actually you said "Marriage presently only exists between a man and a women," which is most emphatically not true, unless you doubt that a number of jurisdictions have actually started issuing marriage licenses to homosexual couples. That is what the text you quoted was responding to, which should have been clear from the fact that I placed it immediately after quoting that exact claim from you.

I thought you came here to make arguments? So far I've seen a lot of emotional attacks, little argument, and less close reading of the points I've actually made.

No response on point for my observation that the law has to deal with exceptions to rules? Ok then, noted.

So 90-95% of heterosexual couples are fertile while 0% of homosexual couples are fertile. The government gives benefits to married couples (partially) based on the assumption that the man and woman are capable of reproducing, which is reasonable.

Don't you know? 93.7% of all statistics are made-up on the spot. I'd very strongly doubt that anywhere near 90% of all couples are fertile given that a hefty chunk of the population of women have gone through menopause and therefore are no longer fertile. And that doesn't even being to take into account other causes of infertility. Or, for that matter, prepubescence.

I don't deny that homosexuals don't typically procreate together. But it's irrelevant to me. That's not what marriage is about. I don't know if you've ever read through a state's marriage statutes, but one of the things you'll notice is that there are lots of provisions that have nothing to do with children. These vary by state, but they include things like protection against spousal abandonment, legal implications of the union to medical treatment, and property rights, and finances, and inheritance, and all sorts of stuff that is totally applicable to anyone regardless of gender. Many of them probably actually make things simpler on the government. Denying this to any group has to be justified by some strong compelling reason. Nothing that anyone has suggested rises even close to this level.

The government primarily gives scholarships to minorities without checking their actual situation. I assume you think the government should screen all candidates before making them eligible.

Interestingly, it is a lot harder to get most scholarships than it is to get a marriage license. And yes, I support thorough screening for eligibility, at least as much is justified by the scholarship amounts. We shouldn't spend ten thousand dollars screening candidates for a five-hundred dollar scholarship, but perhaps for a full ride to law school to would make more sense.

The government gives welfare to folks making less than x dollars per year. I assume you think the government should screen everyone.

Yeah, pretty much. Welfare abuse is a big problem. Now, are you really going to tell me that you believe that in an ideal world, we would deny marriage certificates to all couples that can't or won't produce children biologically related to both parents? I'd like a straight answer on that question please.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's absurd and blatantly wrong.
That's an empty sleeve waved with gusto.

I'm quite tired of these outlandish assertions.
Then stop making them. :think:

Homosexual sex does not produce children
Then lucky for me I never claimed it does, because that would have been embarrassing, let me tell you.

:hammer: Homosexual couples do not produce children. :sigh:
I refer you to the previously noted means by which they can biologically produce children and the point made that in this they are not principally different from any other couple incapable absent assistance.

Then it's not them producing it is it?
Do you imagine the child will produce itself? :squint:

I can walk on water, I only need assistence. :D
And if the point is walking on water and not the evidence of your divine power you'd be right. :thumb:

You are the one engaging in fiat here TH, not I.
Well, no. I'm not attempting to restrict right absent justification that doesn't reduce to "God told me." That being the call of many a voice with many a different and conflicting notion.

You've declared God/nature wrong,
I've done nothing of the sort. You're hysterical.

you've claimed that homosexuals can do everything the heterosexuals can do.
Not really. For instance, they can't be a heterosexual couple. Else, it's a bit goofy. Many a heterosexual couple can't procreate, so they adopt or by some artificial means arrive at the obstructed desire, assuming they have it. In this principle a homosexual couple can similarly find their way to the mark. So what you're banking on is an arbitrary valuation of the ability of two people within a marriage contract to propagate. What you haven't begun to establish is why this distinction should control a blessed thing.

I don't scoff at that notion religiously, I scoff according to common sense.
So says everyone who believes a thing to the other fellow who's sure they're up to their eyeballs in beans.

I thought you would at least acknowledge the soundness of my argument, but you seem to be blindly clutching to your "contract theory" even though it was dismissed pages ago when I noted that a government which positively aids a couple is doing more than binding a contract.
I understand that you believe that's what happened. I never advanced the notion that the only thing the government was doing was binding a contract. That isn't and hasn't been my argument.

I also find it disappointing that you know God's law and would willingly vote against it given the chance.
What's with the acoustics around here? What I've said is that the issue is no more one that should be put to a vote than whether Catholics should be allowed to marry.

It is the separation of faith and reason so tell-tale of Protestantism today.
Rather, it's the respect of each man's right to his own conscience that's at the heart of our secular Republic. I happen to think that's a swell idea. I don't want the Catholic Church to outlaw condoms or some peculiar Jewish or Islamic notion to find itself impressed upon me as law. There are, frankly, things that are your business and those which are only between the individual and his or her conscience. That this escapes you is double proof of the need for the very separation you mistakenly attribute in origin.

It is the idea that we can safely ignore God's law as a society and be none the worse for it, that we can civilly sanction and encourage immoral acts and not hurt the society in the process.
Said every man with a different idea of what constitutes that to the next fellow. Happy jihad. :plain:

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tell you what, why don't you clear up my "confusion" of what rights TH is referring to.
Your confusion appears to run deeper than that. You're advancing religious rhetoric and I'm discussing how our secular Republic functions and should in relation to its expressed principles.

I'm not trying to argue anyone out of their faith, only suggesting we had that sort of thing once and it's a great deal of the reason we fled to a land where we could establish a secular republic. 30 Years War anyone? :nono:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Now, are you really going to tell me that you believe that in an ideal world, we would deny marriage certificates to all couples that can't or won't produce children biologically related to both parents? I'd like a straight answer on that question please.

I would like an answer to that as well, Zippy. Either marriage is only for couples who can PROVE they are able to and willing to biologically procreate with one another or it is not? Which is it?

IF you believe it is, then please tell us how this can be enforced? Once both partners are medically inspected (ah the romance that goes with marriage), how do you enforce making them produce babies?

Should there be a time limit on when they pop out the first child? Unless a Government Assigned Fertility/Pregnancy Inspector follows them around, how will we know they are just not borrowing the next door neighbor's baby as a way to slip under the radar? How do you know the couple won't just buy a baby on the black market?

What happens if the husband is in the military and shipped overseas before he is able to impregnate the little woman and they miss the time limit for producing their child? Will the marriage be considered invalid? Would you encourage the hubby and wife to hire a stand in to impregnate her?

Since YOU are the one that is demanding that couples who wed be mandated to reproduce, I would like a detailed account of how this will be enforced. Also, what penalty would they receive for only *pretending* they are capable of or interested in having children? Jail time? Divorce? Fine? Death?

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Lest you think my argument is mere willpower:

1. Why? (this is precisely what it was for thousands of years). In fact I'd say that if gays are allowed to "marry" it will indeed disestablish the institution

2. Why do you believe the government grants special aid to married couples? Does their procreative status have something to do with it?

The longer you speak the less you talk about scripture and the more you gush about governmental control. And how exactly will more marriages end marriage?

Mr.Razorblades

kmoney said:
If Keyes removed the word "always", would you think it is a sound argument?

Yes, because the removal of the details in conjunction with "in principle" would cause no contradiction. It would be "in principle, procreation is possible". That is a sound claim, because in principle, with no details or circumstances, procreation is possible.

Town Heretic said:
No. Actually I said at best they can do precisely what any heterosexual couple can do, if by another means (which was the point of introducing the c-section as opposed to natural birthing process). At worst they're just like many childless marriages and can be as fulfilling or vacuous as any...one of the many benefits of a union is the stability and emotional connection and encouragement it brings to the parties to it. I had that for some time with my wife and had I never had a son it would have been of inestimable value to me and contributed greatly to my happiness and productivity. Jack is a wonderful addition and surprise, but neither the reason I wed nor the success of our marriage

My name is Deacon Razorblades, and I fully support this message. I asked my wife to marry me, fully aware that the probability of us having children was close to 0% due to her PCOS and other hormonal issues. Our relationship is simply more important than just procreation. I believe a lot of individuals out there feel the same.

danoman21 said:
You're kidding right? Do you know the meaning of the word irrelevant and how to use it in the right context. C'mon, you can't be that stupid.

So, apparently sarcasm slips right over your head as does your ability to dish it.

danoman31 said:
Please try harder to sound elitist, otherwise I'll just put you on my retard list. Oh, look, you're already on it, NEVERRR MIND.

This is interestingly similar to the writings of Stripe, but just a shade less original. I would expect someone who is placing "retards" onto a list to be able to develop a more interesting way of putting "retards" onto said list. Try again, and I'll grade your performance and overall sarcastic development, which so far pales in comparison to Stripe. As for now I give you an F. Additionally, because you are not of age, failure of your next performance will require you to get a signed letter by your parents to continue your lessons in sarcastic development.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
why did you mention it?
if
you are not worried about it
I used one of any number of potential religious impositions on the public square if we base our law singularly on our moral notion without a corresponding justification that doesn't require it.

So, unless you think Sharia law would be a good thing to have in your neighborhood, you don't want to advocate that principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.