toldailytopic: Rick Santorum believes in Satan. Does that alarm you?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 22nd, 2012 10:35 AM

gty_rick_santorum_jef_110601_wblog.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
“If somehow or another because you’re a person of faith and you believe in good and evil is a disqualifier for president, we’re going to have a very small pool of candidates who can run for president,” - Rick Santorum

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm struggling to figure out why this is such a big news story. Is this the best they can do to tarnish Santorum? And is it a wise criticism?

Doesn't Romney believe in Satan? How about Ron Paul?

We know that Obama believes in Satan.... he sees him in the mirror every morning when he brushes his teeth.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It may be considered newsworthy because Santorum's more outspoken and blunter about matters of faith than any other candidate. Hard to imagine Newt, Mitt, or even Ron Paul (much less POTUS) coming right out and talking seriously about the devil.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It may be considered newsworthy because Santorum's more outspoken and blunter about matters of faith than any other candidate. Hard to imagine Newt, Mitt, or even Ron Paul (much less POTUS) coming right out and talking seriously about the devil.
Yet it isn't as if he came out and talked about Satan on the campaign trail. This all comes from something he said at a church back in 2008.

If Romney were asked if he believed in Satan wouldn't he say yes? And if so, would he get the same criticism?

And anyway.....
Granite you are a Satanist. You finally found your perfect candidate! :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Alarming? No.

I would expect any Christian to believe. But it isn't something many candidates will want to talk about. I think some things are taken for granted in Christian belief but not talked about much. Satan is one of those things. Not mentioned much, at least not in a literal way.

I might be alarmed if a candidate was a major Charismatic. But a general belief in Satan kinda just goes with Christianity.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yet it isn't as if he came out and talked about Satan on the campaign trail. This all comes from something he said at a church back in 2008.

True. I don't consider it newsworthy considering the man's a member of a church that still trains exorcists; I'd be stunned if Santorum didn't believe in a literal devil. And frankly, so would most Catholics.

If Romney were asked if he believed in Satan wouldn't he say yes?

I think if you asked Mitt to identify his hair color he'd probably talk to a consultant first. More seriously, he was caught off guard by a question regarding proxy baptisms--religion seems a sure way to get him flat-footed and deer-eyed. I'd like to see that happen more. He does not handle pressure or thinking on his feet very well.

Granite you are a Satanist.

No, I'm not. My affiliations are right there under my avatar. For whatever reason people insist on calling me a "liberal," too, as if they didn't get old a long time ago.:smokie:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Alarming? No.

I would expect any Christian to believe. But it isn't something many candidates will want to talk about. I think some things are taken for granted in Christian belief but not talked about much. Satan is one of those things. Not mentioned much, at least not in a literal way.

I might be alarmed if a candidate was a major Charismatic. But a general belief in Satan kinda just goes with Christianity.
So... should the notion that Santorum mentioned Satan while giving a speech at a church back in 2008 be a news story?

To me... this is another plus for Santorum. After all... Satan does exist.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think if you asked Mitt to identify his hair color he'd probably talk to a consultant first.
:rotfl:

Yeah no doubt, Romney is 100% politician.

No, I'm not. My affiliations are right there under my avatar. For whatever reason people insist on calling me a "liberal," too, as if they didn't get old a long time ago.:smokie:
I was just teasin' ya dude (hence the chuckling smilie).

MrRadish

I think it might be that quite a lot of modern Christians don't actually believe in an actual conscious being called Satan, instead considering the concept of the Devil to simply represent the human capacity for evil. To such individuals - and to non-believers - the President believing in an actual, sentient creature that is literally the King of Evil might seem bizarre and worryingly superstitious/primitive, especially in a would-be President.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think it might be that quite a lot of modern Christians don't actually believe in an actual conscious being called Satan, instead considering the concept of the Devil to simply represent the human capacity for evil. To such individuals - and to non-believers - the President believing in an actual, sentient creature that is literally the King of Evil might seem bizarre and worryingly superstitious/primitive, especially in a would-be President.

Absolutely. We're talking about giving someone access to, what--over seven thousand nuclear warheads? I'd prefer their head was on straight.

Aaaaaaaaaand here's Ricky, trying to dismiss or backtrack. As expected.

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-satan-comments-2008-not-relevant-today-232700385.html

I'd say his comments are incredibly relevant.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And do you know what Santorum's beliefs are regarding Satan? It wasn't as if Santorum gave a descriptive speech regarding Satan's characteristics. Maybe he thinks of Satan in the same way most Catholics and Christians think of Satan. That's very likely isn't it? (if not a flat out certainty)

(based on your post) It's also likely that you have no idea what most Christians think regarding Satan therefore your opinion doesn't mean much on this topic.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 22nd, 2012 10:35 AM

No. I find this country's departure from its roots alarming. Truth be told, the majority of past presidents did believe in the existence of Satan. Only now in our post modern culture has this become as issue.

Dena

I hadn't thought about it but since he's a Christian it should be assumed he believes in a literal, real satan. Is it alarming? Not really.

Buzzword

I think it'd be more entertaining if he came out like one of those backwoods hellfire-and-brimstone preachers.

"Tha debil is cummin' for yor SOLES! And onlee by ya'll votin' for me can Ghod keep 'im at bay!"

MrRadish

And do you know what Santorum's beliefs are regarding Satan? It wasn't as if Santorum gave a descriptive speech regarding Satan's characteristics. Maybe he thinks of Satan in the same way most Catholics and Christians think of Satan. That's very likely isn't it? (if not a flat out certainty)

Referring to 'The Devil' in a public speech to an audience that includes non-Christians seems to either imply a belief in a literal being or a poor grasp of rhetorical technique.

(based on your post) It's also likely that you have no idea what most Christians think regarding Satan therefore your opinion doesn't mean much on this topic.

I'm only going based on what Christians I know personally have said to me. I didn't say that 'most' Christians have that opinion regarding Satan, especially not in the USA - I'm just saying that I know a decent number who believe in a figurative Satan rather than a literal being, that's all.