toldailytopic: People say: You can't legislate morality. Is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

john w

Hall of Fame
who said i was trying to do that?
you're jumping the gun here. don't try to make me out to be you

"we all get our morality from our lives, what we have seen that is right and wrong.."

So, you decide-"what we have seen that is right or wrong."?

What right do you have to impose your morality on me?

PyramidHead

"we all get our morality from our lives, what we have seen that is right and wrong.."

So, you decide-"what we have seen that is right or wrong."?

What right do you have to impose your morality on me?

where did i follow up that statement with AND THEN EVERYONE SHOULD FOLLOW MY MORALITY?
don't come at me with made up stuff like this

Nydhogg

I throw the towel. I can't demonstrate it.

I can't prove that something is self-evident. I can't prove the axiom. Axioms have, inevitably, to be taken as true. Any "objective" morality is, at heart, an arbitrary axiom taken either on faith or with the gut.

We have entirely different premises, so it's hard to coherently argue anything.

Silent Hunter

_
You may want to "read up on the 'source' of morality a bit." Suggested reading" "The Holy Bible," author- the LORD God. Start with chapter 1, verse 1, Genesis, and end with Chapter 22, verse 21, in Revelation.
The Bible is no more a "source" of morality than anyone else's "holy" book as Ny so clearly points out:
Suggested Reading: Havámal 1:1.

[sarc] Because my Holy Book is better than your Holy Book (tm) [/sarc]
. . . should you EVER be able to prove the invisible sky spirit you worship "wrote" it. The Bible is no more an ancient source of morality than the "Code of Hammurabi" and less "objective."

PyramidHead

_
So, morality is subjective-no other option. judges 21:25 confirmed.

ok you are a pretty dense sop so let me explain this to you
do NOT put words into my mouth at ANY time
i told people MY opinion. you then asked my why that gave me the right to push my morality on to others. i asked where i said that, because i didn't. you then quote me and bold some stuff and act like that implies i said that.

i didn't say there was no other options. get off my d.... back. you haven't confirmed a thing.

Silent Hunter

_
Translation of the above: You decide what is moral, and what is not(subjectivity), and therefore any discussion of "morality", whether it be slavery, or (fill in the blank), is nonsensical w/o an objective standard by which to make this assessment.

"You have to concede that you can not get me to accept the Bible as a valid source of morals either."-Nydhogg

That is not your "argument." Know your own argument.

"I consider self-ownership as the self-evident cornerstone of ethics and valid morality. If it's not self-evident to YOU, I don't know how I can convince you."--Nydhogg

I consider the killing of a child through abortion to be evil-it is self evident.

Eliminate abortion. Abortion is "not from sane minds."

Check.

"cornerstone of ethics "

Whose ethics? Yours? Says who? Name your objective standard by which you assess whether something is "ethical."

Name it. I'm a busy man.
The idea the Bible is an objective moral standard is based on a faulty premise. Until you can prove the invisible sky spirit you worship wrote (inspired) it your "morals" are based on what you accuse everyone else . . . your own opinion.

Son of Jack

The idea the Bible is an objective moral standard is based on a faulty premise. Until you can prove the invisible sky spirit you worship wrote (inspired) it your "morals" are based on what you accuse everyone else . . . your own opinion.

It's only a faulty premise if it's wrong. Can you prove He didn't write it?

Silent Hunter

As long as you assert that God does not exist, you share that burden.
Since I didn't make that assertion (within the context of this thread) I have no burden to "share."

Moreover, what can really be proven in the sense that you use the word?
I think, "Until you can prove the invisible sky spirit you worship wrote (inspired) it (the Bible) your "morals" are based on what you accuse everyone else . . . your own opinion," is pretty clear. In what "sense" need "prove" be clarified? If the Bible is to be claimed to be an "objective" moral standard then the source of that moral standard needs to be even more objectively proven (if you get my meaning).

Krsto

Since I didn't make that assertion (within the context of this thread) I have no burden to "share."

I think, "Until you can prove the invisible sky spirit you worship wrote (inspired) it (the Bible) your "morals" are based on what you accuse everyone else . . . your own opinion," is pretty clear. In what "sense" need "prove" be clarified? If the Bible is to be claimed to be an "objective" moral standard then the source of that moral standard needs to be even more objectively proven (if you get my meaning).

And since God has not chosen to reveal himself objectively enough by your standards of objectivity because he has chosen that we live by faith and not by sight, God will never be "proven" to you, and you will always be lost. A wise man might lower his standards of objectivity to coincide with God's chosen method of revealing himself just long enough to discover him and his love for you rather than being stubborn and expect God to be the one to change his ways to coincide with your standards. If anyone has a right to be stubborn, it would be God, not you. If anyone has anything to lose for being stubborn, it would be you, not God.

Son of Jack

You and I both know that we "share" a context that supersedes this thread. Thus, you do indeed share the burden.

Do you mean objectively proven in the sense that it cannot be refuted and/or questioned (i.e. in the "scientific" modernist sense)? If that is the case, then only one thing can actually be proven.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame

_
You made an assertion, not an argument.

Prove that the person identified as "Silent Hunter" wrote the above post. And send me "the original" post, i.e., the one on the screen you typed, before you pressed the "submit reply" button. Do be a dear, and provide these originals. Until you can prove you are this "Silent Hunter" who wrote this post, by producing "the originals,"then anything you write we may dismiss.

Nydhogg

This is utter nonsense, john w.

That someone uses the handle Silent Hunter AND posted the above message is indisputable, since someone did just that.

Who is that "Silent Hunter"? We don't know. But he (or she, or it if a particularly advanced chatbot) did just post the message.

It's no different from the Bible: The Bible exists. Someone did write it. The writers claimed to receve it from some sort of God. OK, bear with me, this is when it gets tricky:

There is a difference between ordinary and extraordinary claims.

If the Bible affirmed it was written just by some random Middle Eastern dude, it would be an ordinary claim. It would require merely ordinary evidence, or just no evidence to the contrary, to take as true.

If the Bible affirms that it's written on the Diktat of an all-powerful thing, it's an extraordinary claim. It presupposes entities previously unknown and plainly weird. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence- and you're not delivering.

john w

Hall of Fame
This is utter nonsense, john w.

That someone uses the handle Silent Hunter AND posted the above message is indisputable, since someone did just that.

Who is that "Silent Hunter"? We don't know. But he (or she, or it if a particularly advanced chatbot) did just post the message.

It's no different from the Bible: The Bible exists. Someone did write it. The writers claimed to receve it from some sort of God. OK, bear with me, this is when it gets tricky:

There is a difference between ordinary and extraordinary claims.

If the Bible affirmed it was written just by some random Middle Eastern dude, it would be an ordinary claim. It would require merely ordinary evidence, or just no evidence to the contrary, to take as true.

If the Bible affirms that it's written on the Diktat of an all-powerful thing, it's an extraordinary claim. It presupposes entities previously unknown and plainly weird. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence- and you're not delivering.
_
"This is utter nonsense, john w.
Who is that "Silent Hunter"? We don't know. But he (or she, or it if a particularly advanced chatbot) did just post the message."-Nydhogg

Nope. Read his "argument." He says : "Until you can prove the invisible sky spirit you worship wrote (inspired) it .."

Fine. He must provide the same level of "proof" he demands of me.

"There is a difference between ordinary and extraordinary claims.

If the Bible affirms that it's written on the Diktat of an all-powerful thing, it's an extraordinary claim. It presupposes entities previously unknown and plainly weird. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence- and you're not delivering." -Nydhogg

Your "argument": We must "prove" that the LORD God is the author of scriptures, using "science"-that which can be analyzed empirically by one of the 5 senses "science"uses to classify, study, probe, and analyze empirically-touch, sight, smell, taste and sound ,correct?

Fine-Prove love exists, using the same standard.

Silent Hunter

:blabla:
And since God has not chosen to reveal himself objectively enough by your standards of objectivity because he has chosen that we live by faith and not by sight, God will never be "proven" to you, and you will always be lost. A wise man might lower his standards of objectivity to coincide with God's chosen method of revealing himself just long enough to discover him and his love for you rather than being stubborn and expect God to be the one to change his ways to coincide with your standards. If anyone has a right to be stubborn, it would be God, not you. If anyone has anything to lose for being stubborn, it would be you, not God.
:blabla:

Silent Hunter

You and I both know that we "share" a context that supersedes this thread. Thus, you do indeed share the burden.
Only YOU have a burden (of proving the invisible sky spirit you worship exists).

Do you mean objectively proven in the sense that it cannot be refuted and/or questioned (i.e. in the "scientific" modernist sense)? If that is the case, then only one thing can actually be proven.
This is meaningless double-speak. One thing that can be "actually proven" is there is no objective evidence for a deity.

Status
Not open for further replies.