toldailytopic: Penance and church confessional for the absolution of sins, is that s

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Do you pray at all?

Continually.

But I believe you are asking if I occasionally ask God for something verbally. I do.

Why? Well, if I am doing it with another person, it is to seek agreement in prayer with that other person (i.e. my wife is not a mind reader). If I'm doing it while alone, it's because, for whatever reason, I'm moved to do so. Either way, God certainly knows what I want before I ask, and I don't believe I have to ask even if I may choose to for my edification or the edification of others.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
so everything that Jesus taught no longer applies?

Paul didn't teach that
and
you interpretation is seriously out of line

Jesus taught things on earth that were not intended to be doctrine for us in the body of Christ. Jesus taught things after his ascension that ARE doctrine for us in the body of Christ.

The command of the Son to pray the so-called Lord's prayer is as much for us as is the command of the Father to stone the Sabbath offender. Ever picked up sticks or done any kind of work at all on Saturday, chrys? If so, who would you like to sling the first rock your way?

zippy2006

You said or alluded to this a few times, zippy. But I don't believe this. Jesus preached the kingdom at-hand. Israel decided to collectively reject their Messiah, so things changed. That gets into another subject, but you're making statements about what you think I believe that are based on a misunderstanding.

Anyway, you're Catholic and you're going to be Catholic. I'm not and never will be. So I think we'll be stuck in this debate until the cows come home (whatever that means :chuckle:).

:e4e:

Randy

Ah I see your point, I guess I wasn't thinking about it from a MAD perspective enough. I guess my only point is that the early church Fathers and the history of the church may make you think twice.

Take care CM, God Bless
-zip :e4e:

zippy2006

God has forgiven your sins. All that matters at this point in time is that you believe he has forgiven your sins. The reason you cannot believe that is apparently because you perceive that you still sin from time-to-time, and that each time you sin, God through a priest must absolve you.

Would you say that God has forgiven everyone their sins, but not everyone knows it?

You can't forgive yourself for something you did to someone else.
I disagree. Forgiveness of self is at the heart of the matter. And if you don't forgive yourself, you will never be able to forgive others.

I disagree insofar as that I think it begins with God's forgiveness. You can certainly forgive yourself for things, but that doesn't mean that the other person has forgiven you.

You are the temple of the Holy Spirit. God lives inside of you, and is one with you, literally. That "tangible priest" is no more closer to God than you are. Peter even claims you are a priest, too (1Pe 2:9).

Certainly, the Church affirms that we are a priestly people.

Zippy, it should be self-evident to you that God hears the prayers of, and grants forgiveness directly to, those in whom He dwells.

Yes, I agree. God does not need priests but He uses them all the same, much the same way God did not need Moses but He used him all the same.

:e4e:

Jordan Fontenot

maybe some dont have the same thought as Chesterton becasue...

they think they dont have any sin to be rid of ???

or that JEsus just washes them away... 2000 years ago...

dont have to go to Jesus... much less spend time with Him, much less...

but nevertheless sins just dont matter... in the eyes of those who hold to OSAS...

weird... very unbiblical belief... heresy

I'm not sure I completely understand what all you've said here but I think what you're trying to say is that Jesus didn't pay our full debt on the cross. If that's the case you may want to read Romans chapters 5 and 6. especially 6:10 which says he died to sin once for all. Now I agree OSAS is unbiblical however assuming you believe that that's even scarier because if you live full of sin then according to that doctrine you never believed in the first place and perhaps you'll never know if you're saved. SO Mr. OSAS will freak out and "do penence" even as a prodestent because he feels he cannot do enough. Truth is that according to the Bible in Romans 3:23 we'll never be good enough and even though in James 2 we see that faith without works is dead, we see in ephesians that a faith built on works is also. Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ah I see your point, I guess I wasn't thinking about it from a MAD perspective enough. I guess my only point is that the early church Fathers and the history of the church may make you think twice.

Take care CM, God Bless
-zip :e4e:

No need to worry about enough MAD perspective. Just think about it from a biblical perspective. :).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Penance and church confessional for the absolution of sins, is that something a Christian should do?

only if you still sin

eameece

This is a bad topic. A site about theology needs to concern itself with deep questions of God and spirituality, not with useless church doctrines and practices that distract people from the real quest to discover and practice God.

HisServant

This is a bad topic. A site about theology needs to concern itself with deep questions of God and spirituality, not with useless church doctrines and practices that distract people from the real quest to discover and practice God.

Then how come you post in the politics forum all the time.. in threads that have nothing to do with God or spirituality?

Status
Not open for further replies.