toldailytopic: Penance and church confessional for the absolution of sins, is that s

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyChristian

His whole lifetime was the life of intercession because He poured it out for mankind. He also taught His disciples to intercede by showing them the example. In Luke 22:31-32, He said to Peter “Satan hath desired to have you... but I have prayed for thee that thy faith fail not...”. and in John 17, He interceded for His disciples and future believers. Finally, Hebrew 7:25 and Romans 8:34 confirm the on-going intercessory ministry of Jesus Christ. He came and lived the life of an intercessor, He died as a mediator and now that He has risen from the dead, He is taking His position at the right hand of God where He lives to make intercession for us.

BabyChristian

Rather they were required to make sin offerings through priests. Catholicism is much more in line with Judaism than Protestantism.

Maybe you're right the RCC is more inline with the O.T. but Jesus changed all of that. Isn't that the entire point of Jesus' death?

You're doing some assuming yourself. Where does it state that 12th Apostle was given that power? I mean casting lots to pick someone to be another Apostle seems weird to me and he isn't mentioned again.

zippy2006

His whole lifetime was the life of intercession because He poured it out for mankind. He also taught His disciples to intercede by showing them the example. In Luke 22:31-32, He said to Peter “Satan hath desired to have you... but I have prayed for thee that thy faith fail not...”. and in John 17, He interceded for His disciples and future believers. Finally, Hebrew 7:25 and Romans 8:34 confirm the on-going intercessory ministry of Jesus Christ. He came and lived the life of an intercessor, He died as a mediator and now that He has risen from the dead, He is taking His position at the right hand of God where He lives to make intercession for us.

Is Christ the only intercessor? What about the OT prophets and judges? What about the Apostles and John the baptist? God has always worked through multiple individuals in various mysterious ways, and I think it would be an error to oversimplify God's plan.

But whenever the priest absolves sins, or says Mass, he acts in persona Christi--in the person of Christ, through His authority which was legitimately given to him. Enlarging God's plan does not mean that we forget about Christ. I don't think Jesus gets mad when you ask someone to pray for you.

zippy2006

Maybe you're right the RCC is more inline with the O.T. but Jesus changed all of that. Isn't that the entire point of Jesus' death?

No, the plan is to bring the work of the OT to fulfillment, not to discard it.

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

You're doing some assuming yourself. Where does it state that 12th Apostle was given that power? I mean casting lots to pick someone to be another Apostle seems weird to me and he isn't mentioned again.

Acts 1:15-26

BabyChristian

No, the plan is to bring the work of the OT to fulfillment, not to discard it.

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

I am not saying He destroyed the Law but through His blood now HE is the intercessor, not priests and not killing animals.

He changed it a bit you have to admit.

zippy2006

I am not saying He destroyed the Law but through His blood now HE is the intercessor, not priests and not killing animals.

He changed it a bit you have to admit.

Indeed it was changed insofar as it was brought to fulfillment. Christ appointed Apostles to perform the priestly function on earth. Considering all of the information we have as well as common sense, I think the correct conclusion is that Christ intended Apostolic succession and a church led by priests, a church which will not fall before the end of time (Mt 16:18).

BabyChristian

We may pray for each other and should do it, but we do not intercede for each other in the way Jesus intercedes for us. Intercession in 1 Timothy 2:1 that it means, "a falling in with, meeting with, a) an interview-a coming together-to visit-converse or for any other cause, and b) that for which an interview is held-a conference or conversation-a petition, supplication." So, the idea is prayers and supplications for each other, but not a superior representing an inferior to a higher power, as is the case in Romans 8:27. If a child of God must go through another child of God to reach the throne of God, then the two children of God are not equal. Under the Levitical system, the priest has a superior position to the people he represented. The law of the Spirit of life in Christ is different and puts every child of God on the same plane as every other child of God.

The Greek word translated intercession in Romans 8:26 is huperenthungchanei; the Greek word translated intercession in Romans 8:27 is entungchanei followed by the Greek word huper; the Greek word translated intercession in 1 Timothy 2:1 is enteuxeis and is translated "prayer" in 1 Timothy 4:5. Greek scholars say the intercession of Romans 8:26 is not the same as the intercession of Romans 8:27. One suggests a peer and the other a superior. The intercession of 1 Timothy 2:1 is very different from that in either Romans 8:26 or Romans 8:27 and carries the idea of supplication. James 5:16 tells the saints to confess to and pray for one another. This is not the intercession of a priest representing to a superior another person, as in the Old Testament, but is supplication. Under Christ every redeemed person is a priest. The Bible teaches the priesthood of all believers in the Christian system. In the church the prayer of the every saint is effectual. Still, if I have sinned against a fellow saint, it is my duty to confess my sin personally to the one(s) I have sinned against and for us to pray together. We may pray for one another, but this is not the prayer of intercession in the sense Jesus intercedes for the saved, nor in the sense the Levitical priests of the Old Testament interceded with God for the people. Under Christ every saint is a priest and goes to the Father through the Son and not through some other righteous human. The saints are priests under the high*priesthood of Christ after the order of Melchizedek and do not need the Pope, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the sainted dead nor any other creature in heaven or on earth to intercede for them with the Almighty.

http://www.firmfoundationpublishing.com/ff/q_a/112_01_16.htm

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Aye, I say that it is "deeply entrenched in MAD" because no non-MADist would approach it the way you are approaching it imo.
If I'm wrong about my MidActs position, it can't be said that I'm not taking the text literally on this subject. Jesus chose Twelve; He commissioned the Twelve; He gave authority to the Twelve. If I'm wrong on every other thing I believe, it can't possibly be said that I'm not taking this literally.

"Aye, I say that it is deeply entrenched in Catholicism because no non-Catholic would approach it the way you are approaching it, zippy."

Apostolic succession.

There certainly is such evidence, both in the New Testament (Titus 1:5...
For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee... Titus 1:5​
Paul giving instructions to a disciple. Completely different than Jesus commissioning and giving authority to the Twelve for a specific purpose of preparing the nation for the coming judgment and kingdom.
...Judas' replacement...
Already addressed this in my last post. There had to be 12 to fulfill the purpose and commission given to them over 12 tribes of Israel.
2 Timothy 2:2)
And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. II Tim. 2:2​
How is teaching others something the same thing as Jesus commissioning and giving authority to the Twelve? If that's the case, then we're all Catholic priests, because we've all been taught by others and committed things by faithful men.

and in the writings of the Early Church (Ignatius, Irenaeus).
Writings which are not biblical, so not worthy of a place in this particular discussion.
Even in the OT we see Moses passing down his own position, we see Elijah pick Elisha, we see the passing down of the priestly position in the tribe of Levi from generation to generation, etc.
With respect, zippy, you're reaching with all these points. Again, Jesus chose the Twelve for a specific purpose. The kingdom was to come soon, and they were to be judges in the kingdom. The kingdom was imminent. His entire earthly ministry was to prepare the nation for imminent judgment and the kingdom at-hand. There was no succession. The Twelve were to prepare, in Jesus' absence, the nation and then be their judges in that kingdom.
And the idea that Christ picked Apostles to head His Church but expected the church to die out once those Apostles died isn't feasible, and is not commonly held in non-MAD circles.
I don't understand this statement or where it came from.
Any historian would tell you how crucial that Apostolic succession of Christianity was to the existence of Christianity today as well as the purity of the teachings.
Scripture trumps any historian. I can't really speak to this one too well.
The Protestants have what you claim the early Church had...
Which is what?
, and they have broken into more than 30,000 denominations.
Yes. It's a shame.
We see nothing of the sort from the early Christians, for although there were always those who wanted to break off, the one thing that held the Church together was the fact that some could legitimately claim Apostolic authority.
Claiming something doesn't make it true. In Catholicism, it seems that the pope and his decrees trumps the scriptures. This topic is a great example.

Hope you are well :cheers:
I am. Thanks, zippy. Just my 2 cents.

zippy2006

If I'm wrong about my MidActs position, it can't be said that I'm not taking the text literally on this subject. Jesus chose Twelve; He commissioned the Twelve; He gave authority to the Twelve. If I'm wrong on every other thing I believe, it can't possibly be said that I'm not taking this literally.

The relevant point is that you believe, against what evidence we have, that Jesus intended for the gifts he gave the Apostles to die out with them, and that that is what happened.

"Aye, I say that it is deeply entrenched in Catholicism because no non-Catholic would approach it the way you are approaching it, zippy."

Fair enough, but you must group at least the Lutherans, the Reformed, the Anglicans, the Mormons, most Evangelicals, and the Eastern Orthodox with the Catholics as well, because every one of them disagrees with you on whether Jesus intended the gifts to die with the Apostles. I'm guessing the MADists representing the view you are espousing make up a fraction of one percent of Christianity.

For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee... Titus 1:5​
Paul giving instructions to a disciple. Completely different than Jesus commissioning and giving authority to the Twelve for a specific purpose of preparing the nation for the coming judgment and kingdom.

You're just begging the question. We know from the text that Paul appointed others and commissioned them to ordain others. There is no reason to believe that it is not essentially the same as what Jesus did, an extension of the extendable orders which Jesus gave the Apostles (and was apparently given to Paul, who was not one of the 12...)

Already addressed this in my last post. There had to be 12 to fulfill the purpose and commission given to them over 12 tribes of Israel.

So there needed to be 12 for the 12 tribes even though the Gospel did not and could not have spread to all of the Jews in the lifetime of the original Apostles who you claim are the only Apostles. If they were to rule over the 12 tribes then they certainly required successors.

And even if that were granted, what about Paul? Do you believe he was given the power to bind and loose?

And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. II Tim. 2:2​
How is teaching others something the same thing as Jesus commissioning and giving authority to the Twelve? If that's the case, then we're all Catholic priests, because we've all been taught by others and committed things by faithful men.

Explained in the article that was referenced.

and in the writings of the Early Church (Ignatius, Irenaeus).
Writings which are not biblical, so not worthy of a place in this particular discussion.

Need we enter into the contradiction of Sola Scriptura? You do realize the canon came into being through the Catholic Church...? The canon was established by the very Apostolic authority you are denying... :idunno:

With respect, zippy, you're reaching with all these points. Again, Jesus chose the Twelve for a specific purpose. The kingdom was to come soon, and they were to be judges in the kingdom. The kingdom was imminent. His entire earthly ministry was to prepare the nation for imminent judgment and the kingdom at-hand. There was no succession. The Twelve were to prepare, in Jesus' absence, the nation and then be their judges in that kingdom.

Did the judgment happen? :think: Where is the kingdom that they were preparing for? Which nation were they judges of?

But now we are just getting into MAD theology which wasn't my original intent, though it does seem to confirm my thought that your objections are essentially MAD objections. So feel free to give an overview of the answers, but know that I do not intend to enter into a long theological discussion here.

And the idea that Christ picked Apostles to head His Church but expected the church to die out once those Apostles died isn't feasible, and is not commonly held in non-MAD circles.
I don't understand this statement or where it came from.

You believe that it ends with the Apostles. Christ gave the church a head and visible authority and you believe all of that disappeared at their death. What happens to the church with no head or visible authority? (see Protestantism)

Any historian would tell you how crucial that Apostolic succession of Christianity was to the existence of Christianity today as well as the purity of the teachings.
Scripture trumps any historian. I can't really speak to this one too well.

I am referring mostly to the many power struggles in the early church that threatened to topple the religion completely.

The Protestants have what you claim the early Church had...
Which is what?

No head/authority.

, and they have broken into more than 30,000 denominations.
Yes. It's a shame.

Yes. But it's also common sense and human nature. :idunno:

We see nothing of the sort from the early Christians, for although there were always those who wanted to break off, the one thing that held the Church together was the fact that some could legitimately claim Apostolic authority.
Claiming something doesn't make it true. In Catholicism, it seems that the pope and his decrees trumps the scriptures. This topic is a great example.

Read the early Fathers and early Christian history :idunno:

I am. Thanks, zippy. Just my 2 cents.

Good to hear :e4e:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Faith in Christ is all we can do. No one can do it for you. Through faith, we receive Grace and salvation.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
When we believe in Christ's finished work on the cross and in His resurrection, then our sins are forever forgiven.

this is not true

we sin everyday
and
everyday we should ask for forgiveness
as
we forgive those who trespass against us

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The relevant point is that you believe, against what evidence we have, that Jesus intended for the gifts he gave the Apostles to die out with them, and that that is what happened....
You said or alluded to this a few times, zippy. But I don't believe this. Jesus preached the kingdom at-hand. Israel decided to collectively reject their Messiah, so things changed. That gets into another subject, but you're making statements about what you think I believe that are based on a misunderstanding.

Anyway, you're Catholic and you're going to be Catholic. I'm not and never will be. So I think we'll be stuck in this debate until the cows come home (whatever that means :chuckle:).

:e4e:

Randy

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
how many times do you say the Lord's prayer?

None. I wasn't instructed to pray that way. Jesus instructed those of us in the body of Christ (you can come in if you want to) that our trespasses have already been forgiven. Jesus instructed His chosen apostles and the disciples that if they didn't forgive others, they wouldn't be forgiven.

Jesus Christ died for your sins, chrys, and was raised back to life. That's the gospel by which you can be saved, if you'll just believe it. I hope you will.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
None. I wasn't instructed to pray that way. Jesus instructed those of us in the body of Christ (you can come in if you want to) that our trespasses have already been forgiven. Jesus instructed His chosen apostles and the disciples that if they didn't forgive others, they wouldn't be forgiven.

Jesus Christ died for your sins, chrys, and was raised back to life. That's the gospel by which you can be saved, if you'll just believe it. I hope you will.

so everything that Jesus taught no longer applies?

Paul didn't teach that
and
you interpretation is seriously out of line

What I said applies to all denominations that teach repenting over and over for sins. It's not unique to Catholics, other than perhaps the way they implement penance. For all who do it, it's a license to continue sinning, and it's a dead end (Heb 10:26-29).

no idea what you are talking about.. and neither do you have any idea because you have never been Catholic.

i have been both inside and outside the Church

so i am expert, as it were

your comment is not well thought out... and is illogical

how can going to confession give one a license to sin??? makes absoluely NO sense..

and if you are referring to how Catholics sin on Saturday, confess on Sunday and then commit the same sin again on Monday...

even assuming this is the norm (it is NOT) how is this any worse than the notion that Once Saved Always Saved adherents believe that once you accept Christ you will get into Heaven regardless of your sins? (a heresy)

hypocritical

I'm thinking of beams and splinters and such things...

In any case, i am a Catholic and , again, an expert..

those who go to confession... and i may add that those seem to be VERY few & far between these days... are the ones who truly love Jesus...

and those who truly love Jesus wish to stay close to Him... and so they do not continue in the one thing that will separate them from Him... sin...

so... maybe its time to take an RCIA class and learn what Catholics REALLY believe, rather than go by what you have heard in the liberal media or liberal society in genrl

elohiym

I can't make sense of your view elo. It seems obvious to me that it matters whether God has forgiven us or whether we merely subjectively believe we have been forgiven.

God has forgiven your sins. All that matters at this point in time is that you believe he has forgiven your sins. The reason you cannot believe that is apparently because you perceive that you still sin from time-to-time, and that each time you sin, God through a priest must absolve you.

You can't forgive yourself for something you did to someone else.

I disagree. Forgiveness of self is at the heart of the matter. And if you don't forgive yourself, you will never be able to forgive others.

Maybe this is one of the reasons Christ left us tangible priests with the power to forgive sins :think:

You are the temple of the Holy Spirit. God lives inside of you, and is one with you, literally. That "tangible priest" is no more closer to God than you are. Peter even claims you are a priest, too (1Pe 2:9).

Zippy, it should be self-evident to you that God hears the prayers of, and grants forgiveness directly to, those in whom He dwells.

Status
Not open for further replies.