toldailytopic: Parents who attempt to raise gender neutral children.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 21st, 2012 03:07 PM

470_2219341.2

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

no avatar

God created us to be male and female for a reason. I wonder if she will be so open-minded when he starts wanting trucks and guns to play with and rejects all the girl crap.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From the article:

"I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping," Laxton said in an interview with the Cambridge News. "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

So stereotyping is worse than allowing your child to be confused about their gender because mom wants to make a point? :AMR:

Of course it makes more sense to use and confuse a child rather than to confront those who are guilty of making erroneous comments or opinions based on stereotyping.

:plain:

One Eyed Jack

From the article:

"I wanted to avoid all that stereotyping," Laxton said in an interview with the Cambridge News. "Stereotypes seem fundamentally stupid. Why would you want to slot people into boxes?"

So stereotyping is worse than allowing your child to be confused about their gender because mom wants to make a point? :AMR:

Of course it makes more sense to use and confuse a child rather than to confront those who are guilty of making erroneous comments or opinions based on stereotyping.

:plain:

Well, it's just a reflection of the confused world the mother lives in. I feel bad for the kid.

MrRadish

As I said in the other thread, I can see why some people might consider current society to be problematic in its tacit endorsement of certain unnecessary gender roles - women as homemakers and men as breadwinners, women as emotionally weak and men as emotionally repressed, men as liking cars and sports and the colour blue and women liking shopping and clothes and the colour pink - but bringing up a child in a way that's going to make them a complete social misfit is completely the wrong way to go about changing the system and is borderline child abuse.

I think one root of this sort of behaviour is our cultural expectation of individualism when it comes to effecting social change. Basically, we're frequently told by fiction, the media and by our presentation of history that the best way of improving 'the system' is by acting in the way you'd like society to work and expecting others to follow your example. Not so. Social change must happen as a mass movement, otherwise you end up with generations of scattered individuals living thoroughly miserable lives as outcasts and serving no particular benefit.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
As I said in the other thread, I can see why some people might consider current society to be problematic in its tacit endorsement of certain unnecessary gender roles - women as homemakers and men as breadwinners, women as emotionally weak and men as emotionally repressed, men as liking cars and sports and the colour blue and women liking shopping and clothes and the colour pink - but bringing up a child in a way that's going to make them a complete social misfit is completely the wrong way to go about changing the system and is borderline child abuse.

You didn't go into detail in the orginal thread as you did here. Not that you believe in God or His word, but the Bible does dictate certain roles for both man and woman.
http://www.christianinconnect.com/manwoman.htm

I think one root of this sort of behaviour is our cultural expectation of individualism when it comes to effecting social change. Basically, we're frequently told by fiction, the media and by our presentation of history that the best way of improving 'the system' is by acting in the way you'd like society to work and expecting others to follow your example. Not so. Social change must happen as a mass movement, otherwise you end up with generations of scattered individuals living thoroughly miserable lives as outcasts and serving no particular benefit.

Uh...right.

When I first read the article the other day I immediately recalled the article that tetelestai linked, as well as knowing about legislation done by the homosexual/transgender movement to "degenderize" our society. Hence, I thought that two lesbos were raising the poor kid. I guess a dad that won't allow his son to be a little boy is just as bad.

MrRadish

You didn't go into detail in the orginal thread as you did here. Not that you believe in God or His word, but the Bible does dictate certain roles for both man and woman.
http://www.christianinconnect.com/manwoman.htm

Yes, I know it does. Thanks for the link anyway. And certainly I should think there are some things that men are statistically better than women at an vice-verse for reasons that transcend social roles. There are lots of unnecessary steretypes in place too, however, and furthermore a positive trend doesn't necessarily mean that it's always that way round or that individuals should have to fit the normal pattern.

When I first read the article the other day I immediately recalled the article that tetelestai linked, as well as knowing about legislation done by the homosexual/transgender movement to "degenderize" our society. Hence, I thought that two lesbos were raising the poor kid. I guess a dad that won't allow his son to be a little boy is just as bad.

I see. Thank you for that piece of information.

bybee

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 21st, 2012 03:07 PM

470_2219341.2

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

They have done untold damage to their child. A clear cut sense of one's identity must begin from the moment of birth. There are feed back loops in the brain which are time sensitive. For instance if a child has crossed eyes they must be corrected within a certain time frame or the brain is permanently wired incorrectly.
I hope someone follows up on this child to see how he adjusts to all of a sudden being a boy.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
How do you raise a child to be gender neutral?:liberals:

Okay, I just read part of the article. One would think that nothing would be off limits, unless it was something off limits to all their children, such as Barbie is off limits to all their kids. But not allowing "hyper-masculine" clothing? What if the kid wants to wear it? And if that is off limits why isn't a girl's bathing suit? Stupid people!

What this woman is doing is forcing her son into these things, not allowing him to wear what he wants to wear.:doh:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sasha's mother Beck is a moron . It takes one to think up gender neutral parenting . It also limits the boy's clothing and toy choices . Beck belongs in a nuthouse and nowhere near kids . What she is doing to her son is child abuse .