toldailytopic: On TheologyOnline I have learned that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 3rd, 2010 09:49 AM

toldailytopic: On TheologyOnline I have learned that...

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People throw tantrums and stomp their feet on their way out when it doesn't go as they planned.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
On TheologyOnline I have learned that... I don't have to win EVERY debate. (although I usually do anyway) :D

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
#1 People generally do prefer to walk blindly off a cliff rather than open their eyes.

#2 The memorial at the former Dachau concentration camp was just wishful thinking. Not only is it likely something very similar will occur again but it's rather merely a matter of time. Because of #1.

View attachment 15865

#3 Most people go to hell. Again, because of #1.

#4 Willful ignorance, stupidity and/or blindness irritate me more than anything else. At least, anything that doesn't automatically drive me right past irritation straight to violent impulse anyway. Because of #2 and #3.

[insert Granite's accusation of hypocrisy here, for convenience sake]

Granite

Hall of Fame
#1 People generally do prefer to walk blindly off a cliff rather than open their eyes.

#2 The memorial at the former Dachau concentration camp was just wishful thinking. Not only is it likely something very similar will occur again but it's rather merely a matter of time. Because of #1.

View attachment 15865

#4 Willful ignorance, stupidity and/or blindness irritate me more than anything else. At least, anything that doesn't automatically drive me right past irritation straight to violent impulse anyway. Because of #2 and #3.

:cheers:

Consider it done.:smokie:

I learned that...

People are very willing to allow themselves to get angry and have something to complain about in order to bring drama/meaning to their lives.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

:first: POTD

Newman

:cheers:

Consider it done.:smokie:

I learned that...

People are very willing to allow themselves to get angry and have something to complain about in order to bring drama/meaning to their lives.

Yeah :rolleyes: I hate it when people do that. :chuckle:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I learned that...

I've learned that... some people are so determined to act "cool headed" that they ignore the real threats (and drama) that is surrounding them.

Newman

I started posting in the beginning of my very formative years as a freshman in college, so I've learned a lot. I wouldn't doubt that my own political and theological positions on things have been influenced by TOL more than any other contributing factor. This isn't to say that I have mirrored some poster's thoughts or positions, but the debates have led me to deep thinking about what I believe, why I believe it, and what I should do about it. The deep thinking led me to other readings, the other readings led to more deep thinking and more posting and conversing with TOL members. Sooner or later, the cycle formed a perspective in which I view the world. I can now observe events and not spin into a deep thinking frenzy every time because I can see how they fit into my conception of how the world works. This, I believe, is what separates people like me (including most of you all) and the rest of the world. Most other people don't care about what they believe, because they don't know why they believe it. Their worldview is ignorance and apathy, and I would hate to be a part of that. These people are the ones that MaryContrary pointed out in her in #1, I think. This is all to say that I'm very appreciative of this place, the people, and what it has done for my own intellectual development, even if you are all just a bunch of strangers.

Thanks TOL.

ragTagblues

I've learned, apart from getting in a witty banter contest with TH is both pointless and frustrating, that the world is not my play ground. . . . .

And very quickly how pointless it is to engage with certain types on this forum.

Arthur Brain

View attachment 15865

Well I agree with 4......

:plain:

Dogmatic adherence to doctrine without question for example is a constant irritant.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've learned that ignorance is apparently bliss for many.
:chew: That's a really good bit of chocolate.

But why did you post that RIGHT AFTER ragTag's overly kind (yet remarkably accurate) observation...:eek: :noid:

I've learned that the problem is rarely ignorance and that the solution is almost never 'more of the same'.

Oh, and that just because someone claims to have a Ph.D. it doesn't follow that he can't be schooled again. :poly:

Status
Not open for further replies.