toldailytopic: Off shore drilling. Should we stop entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

I don't recall the left being mad at Saddam Hussein for intentional setting fires to wells, and intentionally causing spills. Funny how many hypocrites there are here.

I was listening to Rush this morning, and he was talking about. I hadn't thought about it. He did much more damage, and on purpose. And the left was mad at Bush I for "prosecuting" Hussein in Desert Storm. Now the left wants to prosecute BP for an accident, of much smaller proportion.

IMAX made this amazing film called Fires of Kuwait depicting the many crews that extinguished the burning oil rigs. This was an extremely dangerous job! And these men showed great courage and tenacity in doing their jobs.

Fires of Kuwait, Part 1

Fires of Kuwait, Part 2

Fires of Kuwait, Part 3

Fires of Kuwait, Part 4

Aimiel

This is nowhere near a polluting as, say: a nuclear blast above-ground or a reactor meltdown, but it is still one of the most devastating man-made disaster against the environment, threatening hundreds of thousands of marine animals, and it may wall place many at risk of extinction, especially in the delicate ecosystem of the Florida Keys' reefs.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree, it is a big mess. On the other hand, it isn't even largest oil spill in the history of the Gulf of Mexico, let alone the world.

You know, if this was on land in North Dakota, which as 3.5 billion barrells of recoverable oil, that is oil we can pump out right now, they would have already capped it. It is much easier when there isn't a few miles of water above you.

Flipper

I agree, it is a big mess. On the other hand, it isn't even largest oil spill in the history of the Gulf of Mexico, let alone the world.

You know, if this was on land in North Dakota, which as 3.5 billion barrells of recoverable oil, that is oil we can pump out right now, they would have already capped it. It is much easier when there isn't a few miles of water above you.

That's about six months of supply at current consumption levels in the U.S. Shouldn't we be saving it for a rainy day?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
1 Stop all oil drilling. (NO)

2. Stop all oil drilling involving BP and remove the licences of oil companies in American waters who have not earned the public trust based on their safety record and history of violations. (YES)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'd say the people who should have the say in this are those whose livelihoods, environs and peace of mind stands to be violated by the failures of the industry. For my part (and I wasn't against drilling) I'd stop all offshore drilling here until the industry can demonstrate a present ability to respond to a crisis of the sort we have in time to prevent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.