toldailytopic: Off shore drilling. Should we stop entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoo22

Of course! You speak the truth. We don't need the government to do anything, almost. The problem is people don't do it themselves. At least not in the numbers required. So that's when the government steps in. People by themselves think, "it's just me, I won't make a difference anyway". And when you have lots of people with that thinking, it does start to make a difference.

Another thing to consider regarding government is that this is a global issue... So while we might make great strides as citizens in making our world a better, healthier place to live in, it also takes other governments and citizens of other countries to participate. So a government stance can play an important role.

Tyrathca

Banning drilling is a good idea, but for reasons completely separate to environmental concerns. Think about it, there is a limited supply of oil that could potentially run out before we get decent alternatives and at the moment the price of oil isn't THAT bad. So my proposition is that we leave it in the ground for safe keeping/insurance and drain someone else's supplies, then when global supplies run low look who has their insurance pay off big time.

Basically don't drill now, save it for a "rainy day".

JPPT1974

It all depends as this is by far, the worst oil spill or leak. Since that Exxon Valdez thing back in 1989. If you thought that was bad, that was or is a cakewalk. Compared to the Gulf oil thing!

Alate_One

If WE stop drilling for offshore oil, guess who won't and will increase production. Countries with lower safety standards that will have far worse spills than we have had.

Our regulatory infrastructure was clearly bad in this instance, the "safety measures" were pretty obviously a comedy of errors.

Improving regulations is clearly necessary, as is moving to an alternative energy economy. Eventually, one way or another we will run out of oil. The sooner we deal with that eventuality, the more we can avoid an economic crash.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Off shore drilling. Should we stop entirely?
I think we should but we'll need to find alternative solutions before we switch to alternative energy. Even though I was ~shocked~ (surprised) to read that the Russians stopped their oil leaks with a nuclear bomb in the past. That really sounds like the ultimate quick solution for BP. The heck with the dead fishes, it's better than letting the well leak for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama makes a public announcement that he's tired of the bickering among us and he's going to nuke the leaking oil well himself.
I do like Al Gore's thoughts on alternative energies. I'm impressed on Obama's green motivations that seems far better than Bush's

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
That won't happen because Big Oil is too powerful and won't let it.
We managed to kick lard out of our diets. The more the people go "YUCK" the more we remove bad fats from our diets.
Same with oil. YUCK! let's, as the people, remove oil from our machines.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I was ~shocked~ (surprised) to read that the Russians stopped their oil leaks with a nuclear bomb in the past. That really sounds like the ultimate quick solution for BP. The heck with the dead fishes, it's better than letting the well leak for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama makes a public announcement that he's tired of the bickering among us and he's going to nuke the leaking oil well himself.

Does any one have a link to this (the Russians stopped their oil leaks with a nuclear bomb in the past.) ?

Some how I've missed that bit of news.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I think we should but we'll need to find alternative solutions before we switch to alternative energy. Even though I was ~shocked~ (surprised) to read that the Russians stopped their oil leaks with a nuclear bomb in the past. That really sounds like the ultimate quick solution for BP. The heck with the dead fishes, it's better than letting the well leak for years. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama makes a public announcement that he's tired of the bickering among us and he's going to nuke the leaking oil well himself.
I do like Al Gore's thoughts on alternative energies. I'm impressed on Obama's green motivations that seems far better than Bush's

On the nuclear bomb........one of the articles I read did say that people had thought about using explosives (not necessarily a nuclear bomb) to stop the release of oil but they were worried that because of the leak, blowing it up might actually make it worse and cause more oil to start leaking.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
On the nuclear bomb........one of the articles I read did say that people had thought about using explosives (not necessarily a nuclear bomb) to stop the release of oil but they were worried that because of the leak, blowing it up might actually make it worse and cause more oil to start leaking.

I picture lots of water exploding upwards on the surface of the ocean and then tons of flame balls following afterwards then a massive volcanic activity, then the clouds go dark and the moon turns blood, then the earth gets cold and __________ <---fill in the blank

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Not to stop it, just better quality control and more accountability of parts manufacture and installation.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't recall the left being mad at Saddam Hussein for intentional setting fires to wells, and intentionally causing spills. Funny how many hypocrites there are here.

I was listening to Rush this morning, and he was talking about. I hadn't thought about it. He did much more damage, and on purpose. And the left was mad at Bush I for "prosecuting" Hussein in Desert Storm. Now the left wants to prosecute BP for an accident, of much smaller proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.