toldailytopic: Massive winter storm hits the USA, how is it effecting you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzword

I was about to go outside and take pictures of the snow drift that has devoured my car.

Opened the front door to be greeted by a foot-tall wall of snow which had settled against it.

Yay.

Shalom

Homemade chicken noodle soup in the croc- pot, fireplace going, and watching a movie with the family. :) waiting to find out if their school is canceled for tomorrow again too......

The Graphite

How's it affecting me? It's affecting my face like novocaine.

I just took a quick, 5-minute walk around the block on break here at work. It's -5 degrees outside, and falling. I think you could probably do dental surgery on my lower and upper jaws without anesthetic and I wouldn't bat an eye.

(Partly because my eyes are frozen open, as well.)

:plain:

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
As a teacher in the Midwest school was closed today (Tuesday) and will be closed tomorrow (Wednesday). So I have been ice skating in the front yard on the 2.5 inches of ice that has covered everything.

The Graphite

Now if we can just figure out how to get all of the public schools to close down on account of rain and even sunshine...

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I had to put the A/C on today. I don't think I'll need my jacket on the bike ride to work. I might go to the beach on the way home in the morning.

What is this snow you speak of?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My power just came back on after about four hours. Now, it's time to warm the house up again.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The schools were closed where I live. Our car also got stuck in our driveway. I had to break out the snow blower in freezing winds to clear the driveway. Then a kindly neighbor used his giant pickup truck to get the car unstuck. Tomorrow I will have to use the blower again to do more clearing of the driveway. Right now we have wind chills of -45 below zero F. Not a very nice night to be out.

Ps82

Red Baron pizza in the oven, root beer pulled pork in the crock pot.

Mmmmm.

You endure snow storms like us. Ours lasted 1 week ... and it was the longest lasting snow and ice storm I can ever remember is Georgia.

For starters my husband made a pot of split pea and ham soup. I made Brunswick stew, chicken salad with fresh grapes, and peach pies. With these things and others available we gained weight!

Todah

It is supposed to get to 18 below zero tonight, currently 8 below. My mountain friends in Estes Park and Allenspark are looking at 24 below, at least.

One friend has lost running water from pipes freezing up. Another has lost main heat source.

On a hunch, I had my antifreeze checked and then replaced, it was only good to around zero degrees. I would probably have lost the engine!

I went to the gym to work out, after work, and offered them an extra ten dollars just because they have a sauna to sit in. :)

rexlunae

We're too far north for much snow, but we're under a wind chill advisory. The temp is currently -14 and falling, wind chill -33. We might get a wind chill as low as -40. School is cancelled, don't really see the point there, but that doesn't really impact me. I've still gotta work. I might even be called in to fix a problem at work.

It was thawing last week. I miss that.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So far I have no complaints. My work is shut down for today, but I have vacation time. I'm on a very busy corner close to town, so the roads are plowed. If it looks like we can get out of the driveway I may take Mrs Delmar out for breakfast when she wakes up. Our son has his truck stuck in the circle drive, so he has got some snow to shovel/

Four O'Clock

Live in Franklin T'wshp, far southside of Indy. Freezing rain early Tuesday which stopped around early A.M. rush hour. Work closed so my wife and I were home. Our driveway is steep and covered with solid ice so getting the cars out was impossible. Around 3:00 PM yesterday the sleet started (which was better than freezing rain); got about 1"-2"; went out around 7:00 PM and shoveled it off the driveway (man, it's twice as heavy as snow! :dead:)
This morning I went out to survey things. We were supposed to get 1"-2" inches of snow overnight but got none. I wanted it for some traction in the driveway. Solid 1/4"-1/2" of slick glaze. I slid down to the street on my butt and walked down to the corner. Main streets semi-OK driveable but everything is frozen solid and piled around, even the snow. The landscape reminds me of Steve Buscemi's line in Armageddon - "This place is like Dr. Seuss's worst nightmare."
Single digit lows the next two days with high winds so the ice is going nowhere. Hopefully I can get a friend or neighbor to help me get out today and get some salt/calcium chloride for the driveway.
We do have plenty of food tho and I'm in the middle of one of my beloved jig-saw puzzles, a 1,000 piecer of a Washington state botanical garden. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.