toldailytopic: Is the Pope anointed by God?

Buzzword

What all does being anointed entail in this context?

The Church of the Nazarene regularly practices anointment as a more personal form of intercessory prayer.
A pastor places a drop of oil on the head of the person to symbolize the intimate nature of the prayer being prayed.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
Anointed only to test drive the pope mobile...

popemobile.jpg

jwp98

Wonder how many horsepower she is putting down? Probably supercharged V8. For the quick getaway.

I thought this whole thread was "appointed"
Oops.

If early christians from the first century looked upon the vatican, what would they say? "Nice art"? "This is just what Peter had in mind"?

sholom

Why would calvinist have to say yes?

And of course, the pope, the one "they" call 'Holy Father' :vomit: is not anointed by God and is in fact an enemy of the Cross.

Jesus said "call no man father" and those God haters doubled down and went straight to "holy father". one day that beast will sit in the temple declaring himself to be god. Won't end well for him though. :D

Maybe he's gotten "annointed" mixed up with "appointed."

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Not any more anointed than anyone else who is a believer.

Appointed and anointed aren't the same thing at all. The Pope is appointed.

I think the catholic church believes that they are the same thing.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because according to the Calvinist everything..... every drop of water that falls, every molecule that moves, every action that man may take, was predetermined by God an eternity ago.
Then by this reasoning you were "annointed by God", whatever that may mean to you. :AMR:

I guess we have different dictionaries at work here. If you are going to use terms carrying theological weight, e.g., "annointed", then you should be capable of distinguishing between "annointed", and, oh, I don't know, words like "foreordination".

If you want to state that God ordained from eternity exactly every pope, minister, or elder who would have hands laid upon them by men, no argument from me. After all, everything that happens has been foreordained by God. That said, this has nothing whatsoever to do with what God would consider lawful ordination. Men have been doing all sorts of nonsense, despite God's commands, for a long time. Thankfully, God wills righteously what men do wickedly.

AMR

sholom

Then by this reasoning you were "annointed by God", whatever that may mean to you. :AMR:

I guess we have different dictionaries at work here. If you are going to use terms carrying theological weight, e.g., "annointed", then you should be capable of distinguishing between "annointed", and, oh, I don't know, words like "foreordination".

If you want to state that God ordained from eternity exactly every pope, minister, or elder who would have hands laid upon them by men, no argument from me. After all, everything that happens has been foreordained by God. That said, this has nothing whatsoever to do with what God would consider lawful ordination. Men have been doing all sorts of nonsense, despite God's commands, for a long time. Thankfully, God wills righteously what men do wickedly.

AMR

In other words, "annointed," or "appointed." "Appointed" is the same thing as foreordination, or can be. Fershtay?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In other words, "annointed," or "appointed." "Appointed" is the same thing as foreordination, or can be.
Playing fast and loose with words that have plenty of theological baggage is no way to have a serious discussion. It makes crowd pleasing entertainment to import Calvinism into the matter, but such a ploy has no theological currency among the informed.

"Annointed" and "appointed" are not the same thing in the context being discussed, which was clearly about the Pope and whether or not God annointed him.

If we are going to argue that annointed means foreordination, as Knight was straining to do, then, as I responded, by that definition we are all annointed. Obviously, this is nonsense speak, where we should be using precision in our words when discussing theological topics, rather than creating confusing lexicons with needless polymorphisms.

"Appointed" "can be" "foreordination" if time is spent laying out exactly what one means by "appointed".

AMR

Cruciform

Not any more anointed than anyone else who is a believer. Appointed and anointed aren't the same thing at all. The Pope is appointed. I think the Catholic Church believes that they are the same thing.
Addressed in Post #19 above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Addressed in Post #19 above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Then the answer is yes, they think appointed means anointed, when they aren't the same thing at all.

All believers are anointed. The anointing and the person of the Holy Spirit cannot be separated.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anointed in what sense?

John 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above ...

Romans 8:17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Ah, yes.

And this one:

Isaiah 45 KJV
(1) Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut;

Being anointed doesn't necessarily mean you stay anointed for the rest of your existence.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, but that hat is fabulous!

I was just telling Knight I had one like it when I was a kid. Mine came with a fancy two gun rig. Makes me smile to see it. Wouldn't it be cool if he had that same rig on under the robe? :D And no, I'm not taking a shot. I love anyone who loves Christ, even if I don't agree with them on much else.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
A scripture to ponder is that Caiphas prophesied that Christ should die instead of the people......"being high priest for that year he prophesied"

ThePresbyteers

Because according to the Calvinist everything..... every drop of water that falls, every molecule that moves, every action that man may take, was predetermined by God an eternity ago.
Eternity ago is the same as the present with time/space removed. God is over there as well as here, He is in the water drop, dropping, moving and creating every action.

Why is God not there?

Where do you want God to be?

Omnipresence.jpg

Well, maybe you don't want God to be everywhere.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 8th, 2012 10:14 AM

toldailytopic: Is the Pope anointed by God?

pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

If one were to judge by this image alone.....the answer would be a big, fat, NO!

Cause that's just a crazy little boy make-believe cowboy look going on there.

ThePresbyteers

In other words, "annointed," or "appointed." "Appointed" is the same thing as foreordination, or can be. Fershtay?

WARNING049.gif

We need not trip over terminology.

Being "anointed" in the OT is the same as "ordained" in the NT.

Everybody the Lord intends to save shall be saved.

"All that the Father gives Me shall come to Me" (John 6:37a NASB).

"The Lord saves His anointed" (Psalm 20:6 NIV)