toldailytopic: Is it wrong for a Christian to participate in a Hanukkah celebration?

andyc

Why would you want to?

What's the point of paying women to do something you could get one to do for free, at your home, if that is something you actually seek? You can get even more for free than you can get a a strip club.

But that brings up the question, do you want to have a woman that is not your wife get naked and rub herself all over you? I mean, I understand lust can rear its head at times, but do you really want it so bad you'd be willing to get it? If so you need to reevaluate your position because you are clearly not working with a renewed mind.

Do those in the boc have the liberty to do this?
This what I'm asking. If I am at liberty to walk into the church of satan and sit on the front row, I'm interested in know what you think Christians are not at liberty to do.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Do those in the boc have the liberty to do this?
This what I'm asking. If I am at liberty to walk into the church of satan and sit on the front row, I'm interested in know what you think Christians are not at liberty to do.
Technically we are at liberty to do anything. Doesn't mean all things are good ideas or good for us. In fact, any act of immorality is bad for us and they profit us nothing. The best we can hope for if we do commit immorality is to learn from the consequences that we should repent of it and never return.

And as ghost referenced the Eucharist [see below] I will use that as an example of something we are at liberty to do but we should not; I would not be condemned for partaking of the elements in a Catholic church, but I should not do so as that would only encourage their folly regarding their false beliefs of what the elements are and what the ritual means, etc.

I went to a Catholic funeral once. They engaged in the Eucharist and I stayed in my seat [they get up and walk to the front to receive the elements, in case you did not know].

No different than celebrating the Eucharist.
As I suspect this is in reference to the Catholic interpretation I agree that we should not partake in it, yet the reason we should not is because the Catholics are quite wrong and we should not allow them to think we agree with their interpretation.

As far as Hanukkah goes I agree that we should not participate with a group that denies Jesus, or even with a group who calls themselves Messianic and adheres to the false gospel; but what of a group that observes a cultural tradition of their ethnicity but recognizes Christ and the true gospel?

Or is there something inherently wrong with Hanukkah of which I am unaware?

andyc

Technically we are at liberty to do anything. Doesn't mean all things are good ideas or good for us. In fact, any act of immorality is bad for us and they profit us nothing. The best we can hope for if we do commit immorality is to learn from the consequences that we should repent of it and never return.

And as ghost referenced the Eucharist [see below] I will use that as an example of something we are at liberty to do but we should not; I would not be condemned for partaking of the elements in a Catholic church, but I should not do so as that would only encourage their folly regarding their false beliefs of what the elements are and what the ritual means, etc.

I went to a Catholic funeral once. They engaged in the Eucharist and I stayed in my seat [they get up and walk to the front to receive the elements, in case you did not know].

What did Jesus say to the church at Thyatira?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What did Jesus say to the church at Thyatira?
“And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write,
‘These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass: “I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first. Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds. I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.
“Now to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will put on you no other burden. But hold fast what you have till I come. And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations—
‘ He shall rule them with a rod of iron;
They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels’
as I also have received from My Father; and I will give him the morning star.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
-Revelation 2:18-29

What of it?

andyc

“And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write,
‘These things says the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and His feet like fine brass: “I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first. Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds. I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.
“Now to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as do not have this doctrine, who have not known the depths of Satan, as they say, I will put on you no other burden. But hold fast what you have till I come. And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations—
‘ He shall rule them with a rod of iron;
They shall be dashed to pieces like the potter’s vessels’
as I also have received from My Father; and I will give him the morning star.
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
-Revelation 2:18-29

What of it?

Obviously we are not at liberty to do anything. Also see 1Cor 5:11.

waterbear

BANNED
Banned
I see nothing wrong with a Christian enjoying Hanukkah with Jewish friends or relatives, same as I see nothing wrong with inviting Jewish friends or relatives over for Christmas dinner. All of the Jews I've personally known also see nothing wrong it. I've been to a Pesach (Passover) Seder before, and it was lovely.

I am troubled by the fact that all Jewish "holy days" celebrate Jewish victories over Gentiles. I am bothered by the fact that this Jewish holy day is another one that is pagan in origin but falsely presented as not being so. Like I've pointed out to Ben Masada, Hanukkah's eight day celebration happens to be using the pagan sun god, light-bearer god (i.e., another Lucifer) Shamash without telling Jews about this. Shamash's symbol was an eight-pointed star and the central tallest candle in the special Hanukkah menorah is called "Shamash". So what's really being celebrated in this Jewish holiday that is worthy of respect? Successful war against Gentiles? Honor to a sun god? Are these anything near as worthy as honoring the birth of Jesus Christ? I'll take Christmas any day over Hanukkah being Jewish like Jesus..

IgotsThis

I am troubled by the fact that all Jewish "holy days" celebrate Jewish victories over Gentiles. I am bothered by the fact that this Jewish holy day is another one that is pagan in origin but falsely presented as not being so. Like I've pointed out to Ben Masada, Hanukkah's eight day celebration happens to be using the pagan sun god, light-bearer god (i.e., another Lucifer) Shamash without telling Jews about this. Shamash's symbol was an eight-pointed star and the central tallest candle in the special Hanukkah menorah is called "Shamash". So what's really being celebrated in this Jewish holiday that is worthy of respect? Successful war against Gentiles? Honor to a sun god? Are these anything near as worthy as honoring the birth of Jesus Christ? I'll take Christmas any day over Hanukkah being Jewish like Jesus..

I was thinking the same thing bro,the eight days,and the 8 candles,its crazy,but even if you tell most Jews that,they will never accept it,even if they look it up for themselves.i mean it makes perfect sense.

genuineoriginal

I was thinking the same thing bro,the eight days,and the 8 candles,its crazy,but even if you tell most Jews that,they will never accept it,even if they look it up for themselves.i mean it makes perfect sense.

If you want to know what Hanukkah is, read the book of Maccabees.
It is a festival to acknowledge the missed festival of Sukkot (Tabernacles), which is eight days long. It also represents the time the children of Israel fought against assimilation into the Greek culture and stood up for the religion God gave them.

In prophecy, Sukkot represents the millennial kingdom, which was supposed to take place shortly after Jesus came. Even though the children of Israel missed the millennial kingdom through unbelief, Hanukkah is a promise that it can still be celebrated at a later time, which is the second coming.