toldailytopic: Is it wrong for a Christian to participate in a Hanukkah celebration?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Why should I think it wrong to remember and rejoice in the wonderful works of the only true GOD....the GOD of Israel?

The road to legalism goes in two directions.

:up: I don't see how it would be wrong.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
On a slightly different angle of this...I get upset when people get upset about someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah when the do not subscribe to the teachings of either. Athiests, for example, who have gotten angry at me for wishing them a Merry Christmas. First of all, I wasn't aware in many cases that they were athiests. Second of all, who cares?! I am not Jewish, but if a Jew wished me Happy Hanukkah, I would thank them for their kind wishes.

I agree. :up:

Sheila B

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 8th, 2011 09:58 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong for a Christian to participate in a Hanukkah celebration?

Since these are our brothers and sisters in the communion of the saints, those who kept the faith burning through resistance to the point of death. . . why would it be wrong to celebrate the miracle of the oil?

No, I see no wrong in it at all. In fact, it might be good for some to learn more about the Old Testamnet history and ways for the Jews as they anticipated the coming of the Messiah.

It is a Feast that Jesus, Mary, Joseph, all the Apostles, etc, celebrated also. "The Feast of the Dedication" John 10:22

rexlunae

If a Christians asks if they can pray for you, what do you say?

They're welcome to pray for me. I even appreciate it in some contexts. I draw the line at if they ask to pray with me. I don't typically try to encourage it either way though.

Buzzword

I have a good number of friends who are Jewish. They fall all along the spectrum of non-practicing to very orthodox.

I have been invited to and participated in many of their celebrations throughout the years (not only Hanukkah). I have learned much and enjoyed my time with them! I should also mention that I wasn't, per se, and active participant. I was there to learn and observe.

On a slightly different angle of this...I get upset when people get upset about someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah when the do not subscribe to the teachings of either. Athiests, for example, who have gotten angry at me for wishing them a Merry Christmas. First of all, I wasn't aware in many cases that they were athiests. Second of all, who cares?! I am not Jewish, but if a Jew wished me Happy Hanukkah, I would thank them for their kind wishes.

The most extreme example I've ever seen (in an acquaintance who called himself an Atheist just so he could think of himself as anti-establishment in the Bible Belt) was getting offended at a "God Bless You" after a sneeze.

waterbear

BANNED
Banned
I'm a Jewish Christian and I don't celebrate Hanukkah because I don't follow the Jewish religion and don't want to participate in Shamash worship. Who's Shamash? He's another Sun God name and formerly worshiped by ancient Hebrews and others in the Near East. Shamash was symbolized by an 8 pointed star and this is why Hanukkah runs eight days and why that central candle in the special Hanukkah menorah is called "Shamash"..

waterbear

BANNED
Banned
Does it really matter?religion doesnt exist.

Tell that whopper to all the billions of human beings who have been participating in religion for at least 40,000 years. Actually, tell it to your own DNA that has it "God gene" evolved right in it which is kinda hard to explain away from an atheist p.o.v...:thumb:

IgotsThis

Tell that whopper to all the billions of human beings who have been participating in religion for at least 40,000 years. Actually, tell it to your own DNA that has it "God gene" evolved right in it which is kinda hard to explain away from an atheist p.o.v...:thumb:

Right,but like I said its man made,religion did not create God,nor did God create religion.Everyone is just too brainwashed to understand that.You need religion to follow God or develop a relationship with him.He just wants you to believe,have faith,and follow in Jesus's footsteps.Ofcourse I wouldnt expect people to grasp this concept seeing as there brainwashed and all.

IgotsThis

Right,but like I said its man made,religion did not create God,nor did God create religion.Everyone is just too brainwashed to understand that.You need religion to follow God or develop a relationship with him.He just wants you to believe,have faith,and follow in Jesus's footsteps.Ofcourse I wouldnt expect people to grasp this concept seeing as there brainwashed and all.

I meant Dont* need religion.

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk

waterbear

BANNED
Banned

Ah,ah,ah..tut,tut now, I happen to agree with you that people don't need religion to form a relationship with God. But the fact remains formal religions have come about with group mind theologies and they seem to have started thousands of years ago.

You don't need religion to find God. That truth actually happened to me as I didn't become a Christian by personal choice but by overwhelming religious experience of God as an atheist unbeliever when it first began...

IgotsThis

Ah,ah,ah..tut,tut now, I happen to agree with you that people don't need religion to form a relationship with God. But the fact remains formal religions have come about with group mind theologies and they seem to have started thousands of years ago.

You don't need religion to find God. That truth actually happened to me as I didn't become a Christian by personal choice but by overwhelming religious experience of God as an atheist unbeliever when it first began...

True,religion has been around for thousands of years,and im glad you switched your views on God,its the right way to go

Nothing is as it seems,therefore do not assume.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Are you suggesting, then, that Christians have the liberty to sit in a strip bar?
Why would you want to?

What's the point of paying women to do something you could get one to do for free, at your home, if that is something you actually seek? You can get even more for free than you can get a a strip club.

But that brings up the question, do you want to have a woman that is not your wife get naked and rub herself all over you? I mean, I understand lust can rear its head at times, but do you really want it so bad you'd be willing to get it? If so you need to reevaluate your position because you are clearly not working with a renewed mind.

faramir77

A contempory Christian unfimiliar with their Hebrew roots can only have a incomplete understanding.

It is clear to me that the intention of the heart is what the most High and the Holy One of Israel are concerned with.

waterbear

BANNED
Banned
A contempory Christian unfimiliar with their Hebrew roots can only have a incomplete understanding.

It is clear to me that the intention of the heart is what the most High and the Holy One of Israel are concerned with.

Actually, that's not true once you do your homework researching the roots of Judeo-Christianity and discover Judah created a quite false godhead when the Sinai Covenant that tries to meld two very different gods together into one, EL Elyon and Yahweh. Yahweh was not EL Elyon but EL's son in the Canaanite pantheon which the ancient Hebrews subscribed to (see Deu 32 for remnants of this original arrangement). While EL presided over the pantheon of gods, ruling them with wisdom and compassion, Yahweh was the Israelite tribal war god and ruled with a general's need for absolute obedience to commandments. There is zero Canaanite literature showing EL ever condemning human beings yet the ancient Canaanites turned to EL for forgiveness of their sins which EL seems to have done with no fuss and the Canaanites loved their God Most High. Come the end of Canaan (by Egyptian armies btw, no Joshua mythical overlay needed for those not become Book Idolators) and scribes and priests of Judah felt free to recreate God Most High their man-made way and so we get this Moses/Exodus tale and a remade EL/Yahweh combo god all dressed up as YHWH but still just a schizoid man-made creation as history, real history, not Biblical mythologies, shows with continual Abrahamic warfare, the legacy of a lesser war god instead of a true God Most High..

Coffee is King

I see nothing wrong with a Christian enjoying Hanukkah with Jewish friends or relatives, same as I see nothing wrong with inviting Jewish friends or relatives over for Christmas dinner. All of the Jews I've personally known also see nothing wrong it. I've been to a Pesach (Passover) Seder before, and it was lovely.