toldailytopic: Is it wrong for a Christian to participate in a Hanukkah celebration?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 8th, 2011 09:58 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong for a Christian to participate in a Hanukkah celebration?

16323.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Not necessarily.

I think it depends on the reason for participating. And also if it is because of an invite from a Jewish family to their celebration I think it depends on the beliefs of said Jewish family. If they are Jewish in ethnicity but not religion, recognizing Jesus as Messiah, and are celebrating it from a cultural perspective then I see nothing wrong with it, nor with a Gentile Christian participating with them as a friend and brother/sister in Christ, etc.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why should I think it wrong to remember and rejoice in the wonderful works of the only true GOD....the GOD of Israel?

The road to legalism goes in two directions.

genuineoriginal

What Would Jesus Do?

John 10:22-23
22And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter.
23And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.​

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What Would Jesus Do?

John 10:22-23
22And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication, and it was winter.
23And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.​

At that point in history there was no such thing as a Christian. Jesus was a Jew. So I'm not sure that's a very good example of a proof text.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If you are invited, why not? I was also invited to a few passovers. There I learned other interesting traditions.

SaulToPaul 2

Members of the Body of Christ have the liberty to sit on the front pew at the Church of Satan if we want to.

Buzzword

If it's really a CELEBRATION (aka a party), why wouldn't you go if invited (which seems to be implied by the question)?

We don't live in some medieval city in which the Jews are forbidden citizenship and boxed into a tiny ghetto.

Three-horns can feel free to play with long-necks.

Ted L Glines

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 8th, 2011 09:58 AM

No. Would it be wrong for a Jew to give gifts on Christmas?

In North America especially, Hanukkah gained increased importance with many Jewish families in the latter half of the 20th century, including large numbers of secular Jews, who wanted a Jewish alternative to the Christmas celebrations that often overlap with Hanukkah. Though it was traditional among Ashkenazi Jews to give "gelt" or money coins to children during Hanukkah, in many families this has changed into gifts in order to prevent Jewish children from feeling left out of the Christmas gift giving.

:cheers:

elohiym

At that point in history there was no such thing as a Christian. Jesus was a Jew.

In what year do you believe the first Christian existed?

I perceive that Christian was just a label given to disciples (students) of The Way, and Christianity is a sect of Judaism.

John 4:22 "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews."

I have a hard time believing that Jesus Christ was not a Christian.

rexlunae

Ask a religious Jew.

The ones I've known would answer, "Yes!"

I think that would depend on the movement of Judaism they are a part of. Some Jews believe in segregating themselves away, and I'm guessing they'd probably frown on anything related to Christmas. But I've received Christmas gifts from religious Jews, and there was a family of prominent Jews in my hometown who made regular financial contributions to the community's Christmas festivities.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a good number of friends who are Jewish. They fall all along the spectrum of non-practicing to very orthodox.

I have been invited to and participated in many of their celebrations throughout the years (not only Hanukkah). I have learned much and enjoyed my time with them! I should also mention that I wasn't, per se, and active participant. I was there to learn and observe.

On a slightly different angle of this...I get upset when people get upset about someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah when the do not subscribe to the teachings of either. Athiests, for example, who have gotten angry at me for wishing them a Merry Christmas. First of all, I wasn't aware in many cases that they were athiests. Second of all, who cares?! I am not Jewish, but if a Jew wished me Happy Hanukkah, I would thank them for their kind wishes.

rexlunae

On a slightly different angle of this...I get upset when people get upset about someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah when the do not subscribe to the teachings of either. Athiests, for example, who have gotten angry at me for wishing them a Merry Christmas. First of all, I wasn't aware in many cases that they were athiests. Second of all, who cares?! I am not Jewish, but if a Jew wished me Happy Hanukkah, I would thank them for their kind wishes.

I agree with you there. In general, I'd say a well-intentioned greeting should be received and returned in kind.

Dena

I think that would depend on the movement of Judaism they are a part of. Some Jews believe in segregating themselves away, and I'm guessing they'd probably frown on anything related to Christmas. But I've received Christmas gifts from religious Jews, and there was a family of prominent Jews in my hometown who made regular financial contributions to the community's Christmas festivities.

I too have heard of a religious Jew giving an employee or a Non-Jewish family member a gift for Christmas. Last year I gave my nephew a gift for Christmas. It's not my holiday but it is his holiday so I gave him a gift, just like I do on his birthday.

rexlunae

I too have heard of a religious Jew giving an employee or a Non-Jewish family member a gift for Christmas. Last year I gave my nephew a gift for Christmas. It's not my holiday but it is his holiday so I gave him a gift, just like I do on his birthday.

Neither of them are exactly my holiday, but I take them mostly in a general human spirit.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I cannot find any instructions in the New Testament to the church regarding celebrations like this. It's an area where the scripture is silent. Hanukkah is a cultural celebration unique to the Nation and people of Israel in much the same way as July the 4th is to the US. Originally Hanukkah celebrated the Jewish peoples independence from Antiochus Appiphanis and the Greek occupiers that defiled their temple.

Where Hanukkah falls on the calendar can be significant because evidence suggests that Christ was conceived around that time--Possibly Dec 25. The Messiah is conceived around the time Israel is celebrating its independence.

I have no objection to a Jew wishing me happy Hanukkah. If invited I would celebrate their independence with them. After all there is some Jewish blood in my veins.