toldailytopic: Is drinking alcohol a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 9th, 2010 11:29 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

genuineoriginal

Acts 15
22Then pleased it the apostles and elders with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
23And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia.
24Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
25It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
28For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Why add new sins?
We can't even get people to agree the four listed in this letter are sins.

Breathe

Anything done to excess can be a sin. But I don't believe that alcohol in moderate amounts is sinful.

horiturk

i don't think it in and of itself is,but i simply do not drink at all. i do not like the taste and i have no interest in getting drunk. alcohol is a major problem especially here in the US. so many young people succumb to alcohol poisoning and every bar near my job and my house is packed every single night just about. people drink heavily,and most times moderation isn't even in their vocabulary.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Whatever is not from faith is sin.

My drinking water is a sin? Eating ice cream?

The Bible does not say drinking fermented drink is sin (Jesus did not make grape juice, but the ETOH content may be lower than today). The Bible teaches moderation and that drunkeness (especially habitual) is sinful.

In our culture (cf. Daniel), absistence is the better part of wisdom. Alcohol is a negative societal problem and no one knows if they will become alcoholic or not.

Paul also talks about principles for grey areas where it may be possible to imbibe at home, but not in public where it could cause someone to stumble.

We need to avoid legalism and license and perhaps have a higher standard than unbelievers (I personally drink occasionally, but not to get drunk like I did as a teen; my father was also an alcoholic on the streets who quit drinking for 15 years before death).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Mormons are against alcohol, coffee, etc. JWs are legalistic pharisees who say smoking will get you kicked out of the kingdom, yet they allow drinking (some of their leaders have been alcoholics; I know a disfellowshipped JW who lost his family/job over this). Muslims also abstain, yet nominal ones do drink.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 9th, 2010 11:29 AM

Nope. Getting yourself stone drunk to escape responsibility is.

I enjoy a beer at bedtime. I never drink more than one. Or I'll have a glass of wine with a nice meal.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Whatever is not from faith is sin.

godrulz replies:

My drinking water is a sin? Eating ice cream?

The Bible does not say drinking fermented drink is sin (Jesus did not make grape juice, but the ETOH content may be lower than today). The Bible teaches moderation and that drunkeness (especially habitual) is sinful.

In our culture (cf. Daniel), absistence is the better part of wisdom. Alcohol is a negative societal problem and no one knows if they will become alcoholic or not.

Paul also talks about principles for grey areas where it may be possible to imbibe at home, but not in public where it could cause someone to stumble.

We need to avoid legalism and license and perhaps have a higher standard than unbelievers (I personally drink occasionally, but not to get drunk like I did as a teen; my father was also an alcoholic on the streets who quit drinking for 15 years before death).

Seriously, have you ever read the Bible?

"But he who doubts is condemned if he eats (drinks), because his eating (drinking) is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin." Rom 14:23

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No.

Drunkenness is a sin.

We delight in various types of alcohol at various occasions in our household but we definitely respect God's wise words over it and drink accordingly.

Pinot Grigio anyone? :cheers:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seriously, have you ever read the Bible?

I quote the bible when necessary...(forget exact verse).. I have books in my library that refute you in detail that you cannot refute. They do a better job than I would in a few posts…...Google may also help

No, it isn't sin. Being a drunkard is. Jesus drank, and was without sin.

I have heard some folks say that was just grape juice. What do you think of that assertion?

If somebody Random, says that word means Welch's, I will put my Brandy down.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
In answer to the OP, No. However, I do have to wonder what the point of drinking certain alcoholic beverages is if you're not trying to get drunk.

But that leads to the question, is it actually a sin to get drunk? Sure it's a sin to be a drunkard; getting drunk all the time, but what if you only do it once to four times a year?

Acts 15
22Then pleased it the apostles and elders with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
23And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia.
24Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:
25It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.
28For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Why add new sins?
We can't even get people to agree the four listed in this letter are sins.
As I recall Paul went on to only state that one of those is a sin, in and of itself. Although consumption of blood is certainly gross, and I'm sure it's also unhealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.