toldailytopic: In your opinion, what is the ONE worst thing about public schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lon

Student behavior and conduct. I don't need to spell this out, so please don't try to play dumb.
Yup, so you too, believe morals are taught and upheld in school and should be.
Wasn't so hard...
Back to the OP

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yup, so you too, believe morals are taught and upheld in school and should be.
Wasn't so hard...
Back to the OP

You don't need to act like a prat. That routine wastes time and impresses nobody. Codes of conduct and rules regulating behavior are upheld everywhere, including schools. If you believe that equals a school "teaching morals," knock yourself out. Either this is a question of semantics or you're just trying to impress yourself.

Lon

You don't need to act like a prat. That routine wastes time and impresses nobody. Codes of conduct and rules regulating behavior are upheld everywhere, including schools. If you believe that equals a school "teaching morals," knock yourself out. Either this is a question of semantics or you're just trying to impress yourself.
Right, just because you didn't like them "mean ol' teachers' correcting you.

Legislation in our schools here in WA encourage the teaching of moral behavior. Teaching a child to 'share' or to 'treat others nicely' is all included.

Grow up. Your 'rep' didn't mean a whit to me. It is juvenille and childish.

Learn to debate or know when to concede.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
...Same goes for teaching morals and values. The school is the place for reading, writing, maths, science history and such, not for pushing religion or some social agenda.

But schools DO teach morals and values. The program "Character Counts" is a part of many school curricula.

Be loyal — stand by your family, friends, and country

follow the Golden Rule

Be tolerant and accepting of differences

Take turns and share

Don’t take advantage of others

etc...

Even before programs like Character Counts morals and values have always been taught in the schools.

A problem is when the school teaches you that what you believe is wrong. Which is odd being that character education programs teach:

Be tolerant and accepting of differences

Granite

Hall of Fame
Right, just because you didn't like them "mean ol' teachers' correcting you.

I went to a parochial school after my home schooling was finished. Got along with all my teachers. Soooooo...try again. This comment of yours was nearly as idiotic as it was uninformed.

Legislation in our schools here in WA encourage the teaching of moral behavior. Teaching a child to 'share' or to 'treat others nicely' is all included.

Well heavens to Betsy. Anti-Christian legislation like that certainly seems like something a consistent nincompoop like you would oppose. Sharing? Wait: TREATING OTHERS NICELY? Hold the phone! Let's teach them to steal, con, deceive, brutalize, and cheat one another instead. They should be well on their way to finishing their MBA's in a fortnight.

Grow up. Your 'rep' didn't mean a whit to me. It is juvenille and childish.

Says a pompous stuffed shirt. Okay then. The minute you can tell the difference between not spitting on a sidewalk and the legislation of morality, lemme know.

Learn to debate or know when to concede.

This isn't anything I need to "concede," monsieur, and TOL's not the most important chunk of our day (at least it isn't for me). Treat this like the Battle of Gettysburg if you want. There's a difference between basic rules of interaction in a classroom, and teaching morality. "Don't murder" and "don't throw spitballs" aren't in the same ballpark. There's plenty wrong with public education but the idea that you're stupefied that kids are encouraged to share and act nicely is amusing and appalling all at once.

Lon

I went to a parochial school after my home schooling was finished. Got along with all my teachers. Soooooo...try again. This comment of yours was nearly as idiotic as it was uninformed.

Well heavens to Betsy. Anti-Christian legislation like that certainly seems like something a consistent nincompoop like you would oppose. Sharing? Wait: TREATING OTHERS NICELY? Hold the phone! Let's teach them to steal, con, deceive, brutalize, and cheat one another instead. They should be well on their way to finishing their MBA's in a fortnight.

Says a pompous stuffed shirt. Okay then. The minute you can tell the difference between not spitting on a sidewalk and the legislation of morality, lemme know.

This isn't anything I need to "concede," monsieur, and TOL's not the most important chunk of our day (at least it isn't for me). Treat this like the Battle of Gettysburg if you want. There's a difference between basic rules of interaction in a classroom, and teaching morality. "Don't murder" and "don't throw spitballs" aren't in the same ballpark. There's plenty wrong with public education but the idea that you're stupefied that kids are encouraged to share and act nicely is amusing and appalling all at once.
You mean its amoral to share? To treat others like you want to be treated?
Or were you perhaps agreeing with me all along?
I would suggest going back through the thread before you jumped in. I was agreeing (I think) with you that moral values are a no brainer and of course part of our education. Even the post you neg repped was saying the same thing. So, if I wasn't stupefied then, I sure am now. Are we arguing for the same thing, perchance?

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
When I was in elementary school, I believed that 'cpnceit' was spelt 'conciet'. Was it intolerant to correct me?

Yes. How dare the school indoctrinate you.

There is no right or wrong...so I am not sure on what moral high ground they had to force their beliefs on you.

When I was in college I believed that God existed. I had a geology professor that said there was no evidence for the existence of God. I'm sure glad he was intolerant of my beliefs and corrected me!

Granite

Hall of Fame
You mean its amoral to share? To treat others like you want to be treated?

Either you're not reading my posts or you're just not understanding them. I'm not making any of this complicated, Lonnie.

Or were you perhaps agreeing with me all along?

Who knows. At this rate I'm not sure. My posts are plain and speak for themselves. Ain't no big mystery here.:idunno:

MrRadish

Yes. How dare the school indoctrinate you.

All learning is a form of indoctrination.

There is no right or wrong...so I am not sure on what moral high ground they had to force their beliefs on you.

It wasn't a moral issue.

When I was in college I believed that God existed. I had a geology professor that said there was no evidence for the existence of God. I'm sure glad he was intolerant of my beliefs and corrected me!

Well, there isn't any evidence for the existence of God; neither is there evidence for His non-existence. He's ostensibly a metaphysical being. How can there be evidence either way?

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
I agree. Same goes for teaching morals and values. The school is the place for reading, writing, maths, science history and such, not for pushing religion or some social agenda.

You say schools shouldn't teach morals and values...yet you teach morals and values everyday...unless you allow students to cheat in your classroom or to not respect one another...but then again, if you DO allow such things, then you are still teaching morals and values. They just happen to be different than someone elses.

Who gets to choose which morals and values are taught?

Should schools be allowed to take money from me and teach morals and values I don't agree with?

All learning is a form of indoctrination.

I agree. But what should students be indoctrianted with? Morals and values? You better take that up with Persephone66.

He's right. And if you're a true believer your skin should be tough enough to withstand some old college prof, so what's the problem?

How do you know he's right? MrRadish believes that God is a metaphysical being.

Well, there isn't any evidence for the existence of God; neither is there evidence for His non-existence. He's ostensibly a metaphysical being. How can there be evidence either way?

Should schools indoctrinate students on the existence or nonexistence of metaphysical beings? If not, why wasn't my professor fired?

Jukia

Should schools be allowed to take money from me and teach morals and values I don't agree with?

should the govt be allowed to take $ from me to fight a war based on a lie? Or to fight a drug war that is nonsensicall? Same issue. Suck it up and deal with it.
Want to change things, run for board of ed.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
should the govt be allowed to take $ from me to fight a war based on a lie? Or to fight a drug war that is nonsensicall? Same issue. Suck it up and deal with it.
Want to change things, run for board of ed.

If I ran for the board of education and was elected...would you allow me to indoctrinate your kids with Biblical morals and values and teach them that God loves them and wants them to spend eternity with Him?

Would you "Suck it up and deal with it." or would you fight it?

Jukia

If I ran for the board of education and was elected...would you allow me to indoctrinate your kids with Biblical morals and values and teach them that God loves them and wants them to spend eternity with Him?

Sorry, that would be unconstitutional. Suck it up and deal with it.

Jukia

Really? Where in the Constitution does it forbid me teaching Bibical morals and values?

Ask Christine O'Donnell, I am sure she can help you out.

How about if schools taught Islamic values? Hindi values? Buddistic? Any other religion than Christian, would that be OK? Or is it just your Christian values that should be taught? And which Christian values? Episcopalian, Catholic, Baptist, your own private Biblical interpretation?

Granite

Hall of Fame

Uh, that's not exactly how a school board functions. And if there was a Hindu elected or a militant Muslim I can only imagine what you'd think about them advocating their own worldview.

Status
Not open for further replies.