toldailytopic: In your opinion, what is the ONE worst thing about public schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Teaching religion in public schools is unconstitutional. Read the case law. Sorry if I am suggesting you some homework.

The courts also ruled at one point that it's permissible to segretate white and black children. :plain:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Ah, a Justice Scalia fan.
I'm not a fan of anyone associated with the travesty that is the US legal system.

The Constitution is interpreted by the Supremes, see Marbury v Madison, 5 U.S. 137. The Constitution is the basic framework of our government. It was drafted by some pretty astute people Is it your suggestion that it is meant to cover every possible future law or situation without interpretation?
Irrelevant.

In the meantime, try the First Amendment, the Establishment Clause. I recognize it does not say what you wish it to say, for that I refer you again to Marbury,
It is unconstitutional for the government to establish any religion, or to establish a specific way to practice a religion. It is also unconstitutional for them to prohibit or infringe upon the free exercise of a religion. It is not unconstitutional to teach chastity, for instance, in public schools. In fact, it was never intended to be unconstitutional to teach the Bible in public schools, or it would have been outlawed long before the SCotUS came out against it.

Go back to school Lighthouse, and first learn something about polite discourse
:blabla:

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
When will conservatives get it? Public schools are places for teaching not preaching. Should kids whose parents are Jews,Muslims,Hindus,Buddhists,atheists and agnostics have to be subject to Christian prayer and Bible readings every day?
I don't have any kids,but if I did,I wouldn't want to have them subject to fundamentalist Christian indoctrination.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
When will conservatives get it? Public schools are places for teaching not preaching. Should kids whose parents are Jews,Muslims,Hindus,Buddhists,atheists and agnostics have to be subject to Christian prayer and Bible readings every day?
I don't have any kids,but if I did,I wouldn't want to have them subject to fundamentalist Christian indoctrination.
When will you get it? We don't want the schools to preach. Problem is they're doing it anyway. They preach whatever they want to, as long as it isn't Christianity.

I don't have any kids either. But if I did I would not want them subject to the indoctrination of the government school system. And that is exactly what those schools do: indoctrinate the children.

Granite

Hall of Fame
When will you get it? We don't want the schools to preach. Problem is they're doing it anyway. They preach whatever they want to, as long as it isn't Christianity.

I don't have any kids either. But if I did I would not want them subject to the indoctrination of the government school system. And that is exactly what those schools do: indoctrinate the children.

So they preach Hinduism or Taoism, do they.

Lon

So they preach Hinduism or Taoism, do they.
He was probably talking about counter-productive philosophy rather than religious. That is, to take humanism so far, that all values shared by most or all religions, and not insist or uphold those values, isn't productive at all. I'd say many teachers get it, but I've also seen the opposite from even principals that should know better having taken required educational law classes on the subject.

(my guess/take)

Status
Not open for further replies.