toldailytopic: Imagine by John Lennon: love it or hate it?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 2nd, 2012 11:13 AM

john-lennon-v-sign.jpg

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

some other dude

Love it!

I love the blatant hypocrisy of a multi-millionaire building his portfolio on the gullibility of his idiot fans. :chuckle:.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Lets take a look at the lyrics.....

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
And the world will live as one

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Love the melody and craft, hate the larger part of the message. But I don't get my life philosophy from pop tunes, no matter the hook. :upright:

For instance, I enjoyed dancing to disco music, but I didn't really want anything to burn. :nono:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From the song:

You, you may say

IMO, Lennon was trying to promote peace, unity and love. Love it!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 2nd, 2012 11:13 AM

Hate it, I guess.

The message aside and just looking at it as a song, I don't think it's that great. :idunno:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From the song:

You, you may say

Promoting peace by stating a platitude is just so horribly naive.

In fact... the entire song is so horribly naive. People who think those types of naive thoughts are generally the folks that we need to go to battle for to protect them.

You can achieve some degree of peace through justice, but you are not going to find peace through naive platitudes.

Flipper

Love the melody and craft, hate the larger part of the message. But I don't get my life philosophy from pop tunes, no matter the hook. :upright:

For instance, I enjoyed dancing to disco music, but I didn't really want anything to burn. :nono:

When I was working in local news, the lead story headline one day following a massive fire at a nightclub in the Philippines was "Disco Inferno". That wouldn't have been my first choice.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

:idunno: Neither....I kind of see it as a musical fairy tale of sorts. Nice entertainment and sentiments but absolutely devoid of reality.

"Imagine" is an appropriate name for it; as such a world could only exist in the imagination. In fact when the concept is taken to it's logical outcome such a world, existing within reality as we understand it, would quickly become a mindless creative vacuum.

Selaphiel

Not a fan, but at least it is better than the banal drivel written by his Beatles companion Paul McCartney in the embarrassingly cheesy song called "Freedom".

I personally think The Beatles is a wildly overrated band. I'll grant them a role in the history of music, but it concerns a part of music I have absolutely no interest in, and that is of course pop music. I have infinitely more respect for the the genius of musicians such as Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk (just to mention a few) that did just as much for music (I would argue that they did more and fare more radical things as well) both before and at the same time as The Beatles, yet they are not nearly mentioned as much as The Beatles when it comes to the history of music.
There is also the prog rock scene which started while The Beatles existed, I also find this far more interesting. Beatles may have played a part as a forerunner, but in terms of final product I think an album such as "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson is a far more interesting contribution.

But I shall end my rant about The Beatles now :chuckle: :eek:

oatmeal

John Lennon was a salesman.

The song if filled with fairy tales.

Truth is satisfying, fairy tales are not.

oatmeal

Dena

From the song:

You, you may say

That's what I get out of it too.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not a fan. A whole lot of religioliberal nonsense in my opinion.

And as for John Lennin (I mean Lennon, sorry). I cannot see what he saw in Yoko. She may be fine for Trad, but she's one scary Asian to me.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:idunno: Neither....I kind of see it as a musical fairy tale of sorts. Nice entertainment and sentiments but absolutely devoid of reality.

"Imagine" is an appropriate name for it; as such a world could only exist in the imagination. In fact when the concept is taken to it's logical outcome such a world, existing within reality as we understand it, would quickly become a mindless creative vacuum.

It might be a fairy tale, but that doesn't bother me. We may never have a utopia but why not aspire to it and write about it?

There are sentiments in the song that I support, like unity and the lack of greed. It is the "no religion" message that I don't like.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Not a fan, but at least it is better than the banal drivel written by his Beatles companion Paul McCartney in the embarrassingly cheesy song called "Freedom".

I personally think The Beatles is a wildly overrated band. I'll grant them a role in the history of music, but it concerns a part of music I have absolutely no interest in, and that is of course pop music. I have infinitely more respect for the the genius of musicians such as Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk (just to mention a few) that did just as much for music (I would argue that they did more and fare more radical things as well) both before and at the same time as The Beatles, yet they are not nearly mentioned as much as The Beatles when it comes to the history of music.
There is also the prog rock scene which started while The Beatles existed, I also find this far more interesting. Beatles may have played a part as a forerunner, but in terms of final product I think an album such as "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson is a far more interesting contribution.

But I shall end my rant about The Beatles now :chuckle: :eek:

Get off your soapbox! :sibbie:

:chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...I personally think The Beatles is a wildly overrated band.
And I, along with the overwhelming majority of serious historians of modern music, think you're insane.

I'll grant them a role in the history of music, but it concerns a part of music I have absolutely no interest in,
Then say you don't find them palatable. That's less crazy...or is it fewer crazy, since I can count you? :eek:

I have infinitely more respect for the the genius of musicians such as Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk
Why? I love Davis and jazz is my favorite form of musical expression, but there's nothing inherently more valuable about it. Kind of Blue is remarkable, but so is the White album. It needn't be an either/or sort of thing.

(just to mention a few) that did just as much for music (I would argue that they did more and fare more radical things as well)
No one in the modern era has had as profound an impact on music within the era as the Beatles. It's like trying to argue that Mike Rutherford had a greater impact on guitar riffs than Hendrix. The rest is taste.

both before and at the same time as The Beatles, yet they are not nearly mentioned as much as The Beatles when it comes to the history of music.
They are within a context, but they aren't broadly because they aren't as relevant broadly. And people don't talk about poetry as much as they do about professional sports.

And Buddy Holly is the seat of experimental pop, by the way...just sayin. :guitar: