toldailytopic: How old is the earth?

PyramidHead

Great! Glad we sorted that out. :up:

Now we know that when you go on rants like this:

...we can safely ignore you.

You can safely ignore me no matter what, but all your creationist tears wont stop the aforementioned total lack of evidence :jazz: take it home, brotha

PyramidHead

:surf: :D

:chuckle:

Nice backflip, PH.

It is atheists who propose a 4.5 billion year old Earth-Moon system. You're not going to tag along with popular theory this time?

It's not just atheists who propose a 4.5 billion year old Earth-Moon system, as it turns out. It's darn near anybody who knows anything about space and the planet earth's history, regardless of religious preferences.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

alwight

Reformatting for clarity done by me btw.

Unlike you and possibly genuineoriginal I credit scientists for having ability, knowledge and a reasonable common sense in what they profess to be expert in.
I credit them with the same. That doesn't mean they are right. Science always corrects itself. Right now, the evidence shows them this based on a few assumptions. The creationists question the assumptions; most scientists don't. This doesn't mean they don't have ability and knowledge and common sense. All scientists in the past had the same qualities, and sometimes , much later, they turned out to be wrong.
Seen from my own pov of being a person who doesn’t see any particular need to adhere to a literal Genesis, is then what YEC’s claim, apparently evidence-free, more or less likely to be closer to the actual truth than the opinion of peer reviewed and evidenced science without any pre-concluded doctrine to support?

As indicated in my previous post about meteorites, science goes to great lengths to falsify or to find ways in which their conclusions based on evidence could be wrong, while YECs simply look for ways in which their pre-concluded beliefs could conceivably be right.
Scientists are simply individuals who can be wrong and if they are then their conclusions will be open to being falsified by other scientists or anyone, but to my knowledge YEC “scientists” have never managed to do that.
As far as the age of the Earth goes 4.5 billion years as an answer seems to have remained un-falsified for about sixty years now while being confirmed many times over from a variety or sources and disciplines.

Perhaps I'm wrong but without presenting your own theory based on evidence you are surely not going to persuade me of a thing by presuming that what seems to be constant now perhaps, might, could, have been different back then, which in your opinion is only a million years or so which is nothing in geological time as I understand it.
All I am saying, is that there is no corroborating evidence for the earth being billions of years old. We have evidence for the method being accurate for the very recent past, but none for the very distant past. What theory do you want me to present? All I'm saying is that the 4.5 billion year figure is based on scant evidence and assumption. If you make a claim for a specific age, it's up to you to make a case for it. It's not up to me to disprove it. As for uniformitarianism, on what basis is there to assume that what happens at a certain rate, has always happened at that rate? The climate was vastly different in the past. We don't assume the climate of today was the same millions of years ago; why assume other phenomena were?
Then I say that you are completely wrong. You have seen some of the evidence and what science has to say and conclude from it. Scientific theories are based on there being at least some available testable evidence, if other evidence coming along fits or falsifies it determines whether it stands or falls. However there is no such falsifiable theory proposed by YECs, only their bald assertions based in a particular doctrine and dogma.
You call it “scant evidence” but imo copious evidence comes from a great many different directions and sciences, which says that what you say simply is not true. What real evidence do you have for a much younger Earth? Why can you not falsify claims of an old Earth if you are right?

I rather think it's taken quite a while for you to even accept the period of time you do now, I feel if you could find a way for it to be conceivably only 6000 years you probably would take it.
There is no conceivable way the earth could be 6000 years old. Tree dendrochronology alone proves that. Ice layers are another. DNA is another. Erosion rates and mountain building rates absolutely rule it out.
So what is evidence of a not quite as young, young Earth have you got, anything?
The light coming from other galaxies has to be billions of years old, so if, as in Genesis, everything was brought into existence during a few days what does that suggest about the age of the Earth?

But astrophysics, genetics, geology, light from other galaxies says you're wrong, what exactly says you're right?
They say I'm wrong about what? ..Less than a million years? If so, I would be glad to see it. That video certainly didn't show it.
As above the light from distant galaxies says you’re wrong particularly when combined with your own doctrine. Evidence from the ToE says you’re wrong, astrophysics and meteorites say you’re wrong, plate tectonics and geology says you’re wrong, genetics.....need I go on.
Show me what evidence actually supports a young Earth.

alwight

I credit scientists with having a worldview that affects their ability to interpret the data in any matter that disagrees with the worldview they hold.
Yes, I suppose you'd have to presume that else your YEC doctrine rather dries up, crumbles and gets blown away by a wind of reason and rationality.

faramir77

Does it matter?
Who can say for certain?

i'm of the opinion, that there's only this moment and each day is a life-age and a world unto itself, therefore, earth & the world only exist one length of day at a time. (not to imply that comforting & correcting the sorrows and failures of yester, and planning and providing for the morrow are'nt important)

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It is IMpossible to date the earth for it was created from matter that already existed also the the earth underwent change with the curse and became subject to renewal.

What can be affirmed from the hard [skeletal] evidence just below our feet is man's entire history, it is ALL there from stone age to the present day and nowt [except tadpoles] by way of mutation beneath. Dig they never so deep.

One Eyed Jack

So that would mean then that scientists and me are all a bit thick? :(

We're all human, after all.

While otoh most YEC however are free to believe in a literal Genesis version of creation happily unencumbered by any annoying inconvenient real world facts and evidence. :)

You realize these "facts and evidences" count on certain assumptions being true, right?

One Eyed Jack

I'm a Christian but I'm pretty convinced that the earth is older than 6,015 years.
IMO the Bible is VERY historically accurate. I always cite the book of Acts as compelling evidence among much of the Old Testament writings.
But I have a hard time swallowing the literal interpretations of many on board here that Adam/Eve/Abraham/Moses, etc...had to watch themselves leaving their homes in the morning so as not to get squashed by a T-Rex or a Triceratops....
Perhaps the billions theory needs to be looked at...
But millions of years may have some validity.
"The Lord works in strange and mysterious ways"

A lion is every bit as dangerous to a man as a T-Rex would be. Either way, you're gonna be lunch if it catches you.

genuineoriginal

Yes, I suppose you'd have to presume that else your YEC doctrine rather dries up, crumbles and gets blown away by a wind of reason and rationality.

Do you think Sir Isaac Newton was a reasonable and rational scientist?

Isaac Newton
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sir Isaac Newton PRS (25 December 1642 – 20 March 1727 [NS: 4 January 1643 – 31 March 1727])[1] was an English physicist, mathematician, astronomer, natural philosopher, alchemist, and theologian, has been "considered by many to be the greatest and most influential scientist who ever lived."[7]

His monograph Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica, published in 1687, lays the foundations for most of classical mechanics. In this work, Newton described universal gravitation and the three laws of motion, which dominated the scientific view of the physical universe for the next three centuries. Newton showed that the motions of objects on Earth and of celestial bodies are governed by the same set of natural laws, by demonstrating the consistency between Kepler's laws of planetary motion and his theory of gravitation, thus removing the last doubts about heliocentrism and advancing the Scientific Revolution. The Principia is generally considered to be one of the most important scientific books ever written.

Newton built the first practical reflecting telescope[8] and developed a theory of colour based on the observation that a prism decomposes white light into the many colours that form the visible spectrum. He also formulated an empirical law of cooling and studied the speed of sound.

In mathematics, Newton shares the credit with Gottfried Leibniz for the development of differential and integral calculus. He also demonstrated the generalised binomial theorem, developed Newton's method for approximating the roots of a function, and contributed to the study of power series.

alwight

Do you think Sir Isaac Newton was a reasonable and rational scientist?
No not entirely, rather like most geniuses. For him the Bible itself was a science book from which he has predicted that the world will end in 2060, so he probably was a bit loony. But had he been around after the Enlightenment he may well have simply stuck to real science rather than expect to find any in the Bible.

genuineoriginal

No not entirely, rather like most geniuses. For him the Bible itself was a science book from which he has predicted that the world will end in 2060, so he probably was a bit loony. But had he been around after the Enlightenment he may well have simply stuck to real science rather than expect to find any in the Bible.

I said earlier, "I credit scientists with having a worldview that affects their ability to interpret the data in any matter that disagrees with the
worldview they hold."
We know from science that Sir Isaac Newton's worldview that "the Bible itself was a science book" did not hinder him from advancing scientific learning. If you read much about him, you will find that his pursuit of scientific knowledge came from a desire to understand the rational and universal principles which God imbued into creation.

Creation scientists are following in his footsteps.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's not just atheists who propose a 4.5 billion year old Earth-Moon system, as it turns out. It's darn near anybody who knows anything about space and the planet earth's history, regardless of religious preferences.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Are you speaking of the base material of the earth or the top which was once only water until the land appeared and then again in the flood the land was turned over as the deep was broken up.

LA.