toldailytopic: How old is the earth?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 6th, 2011 08:34 AM

toldailytopic: How old is the earth?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not as old as most people say it is. :think: Try taking off several zeros and you'll be in the ballpark.:Shaggy:

alwight

The Earth is 4.5 billion years older than I am according to science, but it could all be a nefarious global scientific conspiracy that YECs are not as easily fooled by as I am apparently.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
The Earth is 4.5 billion years older than I am according to science, but it could all be a nefarious global scientific conspiracy that YECs are not as easily fooled by as I am apparently.

you mean according to a current consensus of scientists. This is what science thinks so far and it is totally based on radiometric dating.
Scientists are not willing to consider the possibility of accelerated decay in the past because they have not looked into any possible scenario where the excess heat and radiation would have been there and yet life was still possible. I have posited such scenarios but scientists here at Tol have plugged their ears to such scenarios. This is not science. A conspiracy? No. Just people with a serious bias and unwilling to consider other options.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
YECs are not as easily fooled by as I am apparently--alwight.

Current science has told you 4.5 billion. You believe it. Why? You are easily fooled? No. You are just stubborn, and believe what you want to believe. I have posted reasons why the earth doesn't have to be that age and you have plugged your ears everytime. This isn't a case of being fooled; it is a case of stubbornly sticking to what you want to believe.

alwight

you mean according to a current consensus of scientists. This is what science thinks so far and it is totally based on radiometric dating.
Scientists are not willing to consider the possibility of accelerated decay in the past because they have not looked into any possible scenario where the excess heat and radiation would have been there and yet life was still possible. I have posited such scenarios but scientists here at Tol have plugged their ears to such scenarios. This is not science. A conspiracy? No. Just people with a serious bias and unwilling to consider other options.
What is your estimate then voltaire, and what methods do you use?
Also if it's not an evil global science plot that only YECs/fundies can see through, are most natural scientists really that stupid or dishonest?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Pretty old....but not as old as it looks. :plain:

:think: I think it's because it smokes:

01-3066913461.jpg

alwight

YECs are not as easily fooled by as I am apparently--alwight.

Current science has told you 4.5 billion. You believe it. Why? You are easily fooled? No. You are just stubborn, and believe what you want to believe. I have posted reasons why the earth doesn't have to be that age and you have plugged your ears everytime. This isn't a case of being fooled; it is a case of stubbornly sticking to what you want to believe.
I don't mind being a few million or a billion years out either way but even as a ball park number it will do for me.
If you could actually produce evidence of a specifically young earth like science produces evidence of an old earth, instead of personal theory, possibilities and supposition, then that would be much more convincing and interesting to me.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pretty old....but not as old as it looks. :plain:

:think: I think it's because it smokes:

01-3066913461.jpg

And smoking didn't hurt it too bad. 6000 something years isn't any spring chicken. :chuckle:

Buzzword

Does it matter?

The whole YEC/OEC/everything-but-creationism debate seems completely irrelevant to me.

Even if we found indisputable evidence, from a source agreed on by everyone to be viable and legitimate, that the Earth is exactly X-years old, what difference would it make to the majority of the human race?

People would still be starving, killing, arguing, eating, sleeping, etc. no matter how old the planet is.

Quincy

Does it matter?

The whole YEC/OEC/everything-but-creationism debate seems completely irrelevant to me.

Even if we found indisputable evidence, from a source agreed on by everyone to be viable and legitimate, that the Earth is exactly X-years old, what difference would it make to the majority of the human race?

People would still be starving, killing, arguing, eating, sleeping, etc. no matter how old the planet is.

That's my sentiments too. I'm not one to care about either theory being proven. I'm still going to live my life either way. Let the people who care worry about it.

Real Sorceror

I believe its at least a billion years old, minimum, and I find the idea that it is younger than a million years to be pretty absurd. No offense, of course.