toldailytopic: How does God judge the mentally handicapped when they die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

Hall of Fame
The Westminster Confession of Faith [WCF] isn't an exhaustive treatise on regeneration.
You know, this subject is not that hard to understand by just reading what the bible says.

Billions of people around the world are followers of false religious systems simply because they are too lazy to seek out the truth on their own, and have allowed themselves to let someone else do their thinking for them. This is why Calvinism, like the RCC, has done such a huge amount of damage in the presentation of the Gospel message. They have formulated their ideas from a false premise, and created a monster. If you don't think it's possible for ALL reformers to be wrong, just look at the fruit of Joseph Smith. Just because you may be closer to the truth, it's still not the truth, and it only means that it's going to be more difficult to have your mind changed.

ghost

Hall of Fame
"By the decree of God, for
the manifestation of His
glory, some men and angels
are predestinated unto
everlasting life; and others
foreordained to everlasting
death"
(Westminster Confession
of Faith; Ch. 3, Sec. 3)

I'm not sure there's any real difference between "predestined" and "foreordained".

The idea being that nobody will be in Hell because the Supreme Being couldn't prevent their going there.

But, yes, the saved are chosen by God [elected].

While the reprobate are left to their own evil selves.

And -while the Lord doesn't have to do anything in particular for sinners to merit Hell- at the same time He predestines them by His decision not to prevent their damnation.

So, in the case of the Elect, the predestination is followed up by regenerating, converting, sanctifying, and glorifying of the sinner.

And, in the case of the reprobate, the predestination is watching them climb on the Express Bus to Hell and take a seat next to Satan.

But it's predestination in both cases. We never want to depict any of this as God desiring to save the reprobate but is unable.
Did you read my post? If so, how can you not see the difference in your understanding of predestined and mine. You may not agree, but you have to at least see the difference.

Calvinism reminds me of Pavlov's dog. You see a word in the Bible and you automatically begin to pour a meaning into it, that the writer never intended, and you appear to have no chance of seeing it any other way, then the way you've been conditioned.

:sozo: Elect

Are you salivating yet?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't need to read any of that crap. I've read it all before. I've been battling Calvinists here on TOL since 1997. I know exactly what you think and why you think it.
Evidence to the contrary, notwithstanding. :AMR:

You directly stated (via your source) that some babies are elect and some babies are condemned.
Then you are either a poor reader or, as you stated, "don't need to read...". Either way you prove my point immediately above.

Sorry AMR but God does not elect innocent babies to be condemed to hell.
Quite true. Think about it, and it will come to you. ;)

AMR

Last edited:

ghost

Hall of Fame
Joseph Smith certainly reformed his cult but I don't think he has anything to do with the Christian reformers. I doubt he believes in God.
No, Joseph Smith created his cult, just like John Calvin created his. And while we agree that Smith and his followers do not believe in God, I don't see any evidence that Calvin's followers believe in Him either. They certainly have a different gospel.

Lets try this:

Please consider that it is God who:

- draws people to Himself (John 6:44,65).
- creates a clean heart (Psalm 51:10).
- appoints people to believe (Acts 13:48).
- works faith in the believer (John 6:28-29).
- chooses who is to be holy and blameless (Eph. 1:4).
- chooses us for salvation (2 Thess. 2:13-14).
- grants the act of believing (Phil. 1:29).
- grants repentance (2 Tim. 2:24-26).
- calls according to His purpose (2 Tim. 1:9).
- causes us to be born again (1 Pet. 1:3).
- predestines us to salvation (Rom. 8:29-30).
- predestines us to adoption (Eph. 1:5).
- predestines us according to His purpose (Eph. 1:11).
- makes us born again not by our will but by His will (John 1:12-13).

It is man who:

- is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9).
- is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23).
- loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19).
- is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12).
- is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6).
- is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1).
- is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3).
- cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14).
- is a slave of sin (Rom. 6:16-20).

You see what God does and you see what man does. As you can see for ~yourself~ that it is God that saves, not man. I don't see any false religious system here. I don't see any other ideas but to view the above to see that it is true that it is God and saves man.

No damage here.
I've already addressed some of these verses, and destroyed your (Calvin's) mistakes. If you can't even see your error in just one of the verses I addressed, I'm not going to waste my time on you correcting all of them.

No one has claimed that it is not God that saves man. This is another false premise of yours (Calvins), and another reason why you "choose" to remain blind to the truth. No one questions man's total depravity, but you question the power of God made known in the Gospel where His righteousness is revealed.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God did not foreknow who will be in Christ and who will not be in Christ...
Ghost,

If this is your view, then you do not understand the meaning of foreknow/foreknew from Scripture. Briefly, when the word is used, it is in the intimate sense, just as in Adam knew Eve. See, for example, Amos 3:2; Deuteronomy 7:7,8; 10:15; Hebrews 12:5-6; Jeremiah 1:5; Matt. 7:22-23; I Corinthians 8:3; II Timothy 2:19; Romans 8:28.

Murray sums it up succinctly:

.“It should be observed that the text says ‘whom He foreknew’; whom is the object of the verb and there is no qualifying addition. This, of itself, shows that, unless there is some other compelling reason, the expression ‘whom he foreknew’ contains within itself the differentiation which is presupposed.

If the apostle had in mind some ‘qualifying adjunct’ it would have been simple to supply it. Since he adds none we are forced to inquire if the actual terms he uses can express the differentiation implied. The usage of Scripture provides an affirmative answer. Although the term ‘foreknew’ is used seldom in the New Testament, it is altogether indefensible to ignore the meaning so frequently given to the word ‘know’ in the usage of Scripture; ‘foreknow’ merely adds the thought of ‘beforehand’ to the word ‘know’.

Many times in Scripture ‘know’ has a pregnant meaning which goes beyond that of mere cognition. It is used in a sense practically synonymous with ‘love’, to set regard upon, to know with peculiar interest, delight, affection, and action (cf. Gen 18:19; Exod. 2:25; Psalm 1:6; 144:3; Jer. 1:5; Amos 3:2; Hosea 13:5; Matt 7:23; I Cor. 8:3; Gal. 4:9; II Tim. 2:19; I John 3:1).There is no reason why this import of the word ‘know’ should not be applied to ‘foreknow’ in this passage, as also in 11:2 where it also occurs in the same kind of construction and where the thought of election is patently present (cf. 11:5,6).

When this import is appreciated, then there is no reason for adding any qualifying notion and ‘whom He foreknew’ is seen to contain within itself the differentiating element required. It means ‘whom he set regard upon’ or ‘whom he knew from eternity with distinguishing affection and delight’ and is virtually equivalent to ‘whom he foreloved’. This interpretation, furthermore, is in agreement with the efficient and determining action which is so conspicuous in every other link of the chain – it is God who predestinates, it is God who calls, it is God who justifies, and it is He who glorifies. Foresight of faith would be out of accord with the determinative action which is predicated of God in these other instances and would constitute a weakening of the total emphasis at the point where we should least expect it….It is not the foresight of difference but the foreknowledge that makes difference to exist, not a foresight that recognizes existence but the foreknowledge that determines existence. It is a sovereign distinguishing love.” Src: John Murray, The Epistle to the Romans, volume I, pp. 316-318.​

Similarly, Hodge observes that

"as to know is often to approve and love, it may express the idea of peculiar affection in this case; or it may mean to select or determine upon….The usage of the word is favourable to either modification of this general idea of preferring. The people which he foreknew, i.e., loved or selected, Rom. 11:2; Who verily was foreordained (Gr. foreknown), i.e., fixed upon, chosen before the foundation of the world. I Peter 1:20; II Tim. 2:19; John 10:14,15; see also Acts 2:23; I Peter 1:2.

The idea, therefore, obviously is, that those whom God peculiarly loved, and by thus loving, distinguished or selected from the rest of mankind; or to express both ideas in one word, those whom he elected he predestined, etc. Src: Charles Hodge, Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans, pp. 283, 284.​

Moreover, faith cannot be the cause of foreknowledge, since foreknowledge is before predestination, and faith is the effect of predestination. As many as were ordained to eternal life believed (Acts 13:48). Indeed, even if one adopts the Arminian view of foreseen faith, this faith foreseen by God is the faith God Himself creates (e.g., John 3:3-8; 6:44;45,65; Eph. 2:8; Philippians 1:29; 2 Pet. 1:2). Thus, even the Arminian will claim that God's eternal foresight of faith is preconditioned by his decree to generate this faith in those whom God foresees as believing. Which leads to my next point.

All readers should note: From the above, this is clearly not a Calvinism issue nor an Arminian issue, for both camps fully agree that God knows specifically each and every person who will be re-born. Instead the differences between both camps lie with the basis of God's knowledge: whether God knows what will happen because He ordains it certain or whether God knows what will happen because His creatures render it certain--all of which is a topic for other threads to discuss and not relevant here.

But what is relevant is that Ghost's (a.k.a., Sozo, Mystery, madman, outlaw) view is that of the open theist. In the past Ghost has skirted around fully appropriating the openist label for himself, but he might as well come clean and own it now, given his view that God does not know beforehand who will or will not "be in Christ".

From an openist's position, Ghost's post above probably resonates. Unfortunately, the position is built upon faulty assumptions of the attributes of God, in particular for this situation, God's omnscience. Not surprisingly, all aberrant theological views will inevitably lead back to the root error of lack of proper understanding of theology proper (the study of the doctrine of God's nature from Scripture).

There are only two important questions in life, "Who is God?" and "Who is Jesus Christ?" Get them wrong, and you will potentially go off worshiping an intellectual idol of your own making at your temporal and/or eternal peril.

AMR

ghost

Hall of Fame
AMR hopes that he can win arguments by wearing everyone out with his "copy & paste" tactics.

I've already addressed and defeated Murray's and Hodge's false premise.

Romans 8:29-30

"For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified."

Who are the ones that God foreknew?

Go back one verse: Rom 8:28

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

It is those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

As Paul just pointed out in Ephesians, God's predetermined purpose for those in Christ is that we are holy and blameless before Him. Nothing can separate us from Him, and all things will work together for good for those of us who are in Him. God did not foreknow who will be in Christ and who will not be in Christ, but God did foreknow that all those who are in Christ will be conformed to His image. God has called ALL those who were predestined to be conformed to His Son, and ALL of these have been justified and glorified. This is God's promise, and it cannot be thwarted by anyone or anything."The called" are those whom God invited to receive all that God had predetermined, predestined, and foreordained, to His purpose.

Your friends make the error of throwing out the context, and attempt to build a doctrine apart from it. Trying to make the text say that God foreknew who they would be ignores the context.

You have a stagnant, uncreative, god who cannot create anything new throughout all of eternity, because in His mind all things are already a reality. Your god cannot enjoy eternity with His creation, because all of it has already been realized in his mind eternally.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
AMR hopes that he can win arguments by wearing everyone out with his "copy & paste" tactics.
Using the typical trigger phrases in hope of deflecting attention drawn to your faulty view while toadying to the crowd is cute, but won't do for serious discussions. :squint:

God did not foreknow who will be in Christ and who will not be in Christ
Own the open theist implications of the statement, Ghost. Ignoring it and my previous comments to the point won't make it go away.

I've already addressed and defeated Murray's and Hodge's false premise.
Er, no. You have failed to deal with the clear meaning of foreknow/foreknew, its intimacy and particularization to specific persons. Boldface, yellow highlighting, etc., of Scripture is no substitute for proper exegesis of the same. Yours is but Olestra® exegesis; it almost tastes like the real thing. ;)

AMR

Last edited:

ghost

Hall of Fame
Own the open theist implications of the statement, Ghost. Ignoring it and my previous comments to the point won't make it go away.
Whether I'm an open theist or not, God foreknowing who will or will not be saved has nothing to do with the text. You (Calvinists) use the text to support your claim that God chooses who will be saved and who will not be saved, in that he predestines their eternal destination.

The Bible does not teach this, as I showed in my original post.

unknown

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 23rd, 2010 10:51 AM

toldailytopic: How does God judge the mentally handicapped when they die?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Wouldn't it depend on why they are handicapped? Is it the will of God they should be handicapped, that others might show love and mercy? Did they become handicapped later in life? What was life like before becoming handicapped (if not born that way)?

I say, when a body dies the soul receives a new body to continue in it's (the soul's) development. Physical death means nothing. We are not our body. Religion has changed the meanings of heaven and hell and judgment and many other things.

I say, the Creator has not lost control of the creation, religion says He has.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
The odd thing about asking a question like this is that the question isn't being asked by those to whom the question applies. If someone had the presence of mind to ask the question, then we wouldn't say that the question applies, would we? There is the body of a mentally handicapped person. Who knows if there's a mind inside? The intersubjective relationship isn't present.

But for all that, is there no mind there? The phenomena/object (body) I see. The numenal/subject (person/mind) I do not see.

But for all that, is it absent? No. Just as there is no light without the sun, there is no human without mind/soul.

The human intellect is active, with or without the body. God judges justly. By what standards? Beats me. But they're good ones.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Evidence to the contrary, notwithstanding. :squint:

Then you are either a poor reader or, as you stated, "don't need to read...". Either way you prove my point immediately above.

Quite true. Think about it, and it will come to you. ;)

AMR
Let me guess. Your argument is that those predestined to die in infancy are elect, i.e. those who are not elect do not die in infancy.

andyc

I believe that all who die in infancy die in innocence, and therefore go straight to heaven. The thing is, I can't understand how some people can have such hatred of the thought that God does not want to save everyone, but there's no problem for them accepting that God doesn't want to heal everyone. If God heals a child with leukemia, glory to God, but if doesn't, what then?

Even non Calvinists have their little pet sovereignty theories. Maybe its the fact that salvation is out of our hands, but healing is our responsibility?
Jesus didn't tell us to save the lost, but he did tell us to heal the sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.