toldailytopic: How did the universe come into existence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovejoy

How will you know when you've achieved it?

And that is why you have to enjoy the journey!

Does anyone else think the idea of an actually infinite history to the universe is a difficult concept? I have not decided if it is merely impossible (given the challenge of traversing an actual infinite) or merely impossible to describe given the limitations of language?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think he has the time. He isn't looking that good these days. Ah well.

Perhaps all he needs is a change in climate. The Moon can be warmer at this time of year. :think:

Lovejoy

Perhaps all he needs is a change in climate. The Moon can be warmer at this time of year. :think:

:jawdrop:

His is the longest course of disease progress I have ever heard of, in ALS patients. I think I have had one that lasted 10 years, and that was with a tracheostomy, home ventilation, and two daughters doing 24 hour care. What the deal is with him, I cannot imagine. He has had several cases of pneumonia that would have killed most with ALS. But, he is already 69 on top of his other problems.

The moon might help, the lower gravity, you know?

John Mortimer

We also know now that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

How does the materialist reconcile that observation with the law of conservation of energy? If all the energy available to the universe was released in the "Big Bang" then how can the universe be expanding at an accelerating rate?

alwight

A material explanation is unknown but that doesn't mean a material cause can therefore be put aside in favour of a supernatural one.
If we are to suppose a very particular god creator simply from a lack of knowledge or skill then the supposing of anything else at all would be also be fair game too imo.
Surely though it is better to admit to not knowing than to suppose anything specific from ignorance.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 23rd, 2011 10:10 AM

Genesis 1:1 (KJV) is all the Bible has to say. The various scientific theories and philosophical approaches are all over the place. The various speculations make for interesting discussions, now and then.

bybee

A material explanation is unknown but that doesn't mean a material cause can therefore be put aside in favour of a supernatural one.
If we are to suppose a very particular god creator simply from a lack of knowledge or skill then the supposing of anything else at all would be also be fair game too imo.
Surely though it is better to admit to not knowing than to suppose anything specific from ignorance.

You make a good logical point, but, as long as I have a hat I need something to hang it on!

One Eyed Jack

We also know now that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

How does the materialist reconcile that observation with the law of conservation of energy? If all the energy available to the universe was released in the "Big Bang" then how can the universe be expanding at an accelerating rate?

Gravity. The bigger the universe gets, the less attraction it has, which allows the expansion to accelerate. In effect, it's been acting as a brake. I'm not a materialist, but that would be my guess.

Silent Hunter

The theistic (Christian) origin of the universe is the only explanation requiring the creation of something out of nothing.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

zoo22

The universe probably isn't expanding significantly. Redshift is just an artifact of creation (plus normal movement).

I still don't know if there is a way to tell the difference between expansion redshift and movement redshift.

Do you really think you know what you're talking about? Seriously.

GuySmiley

The theistic (Christian) origin of the universe is the only explanation requiring the creation of something out of nothing.
The last I heard, Hawking and his type of people found that the universe had a beginning. It wasn't always here. So at one point there was nothing, then there was something. Hawking and friends are not Christians. Did they change their minds?

Status
Not open for further replies.