toldailytopic: Has our society become too politically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

That may be an acceptable case but I wouldn't advise anyone a lighter shade of onyx to walk down Woodward Avenue day or night and use the word freely. Unless you have inoperable cancer.

Yeah I wouldn't want to pull a John McClain walking down a Harlem steet wearing a rasict sandwich sign! :shocked:

Last edited:

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Absolutely not. I'm not a huge fan of either Williams or NPR but his dismissal was completely out of line.

As a society we've become overly sensitive to many things and overall--while not at, say, the level we saw in the 1990s--I'd say we're still too PC for our own good. A truly free society does not feel stifled when it chooses to speak.

This coming from someone that hounded me incessantly for using the word "negro" when referring to a race of people.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
At work the other day I told my boss I believed in theonomy, so she asked me what it was. I explained it to here a little bit, and mentioned murder should be illegal and they should be executed. And To add a kicker I told her I thought the same in regard to adultery. A customer overheard us and told one of my co-workers that I needed to shut my [censored] mouth, that he didn't come into our store to spend 50 dollars a week to hear my political opinions. Then I guess he said something to my boss. When she told me I needed to be careful I asked if she offered him a tissue.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I sort of like that they fired him. It shows how ridiculous they are.

Granite

Hall of Fame
At work the other day I told my boss I believed in theonomy, so she asked me what it was. I explained it to here a little bit, and mentioned murder should be illegal and they should be executed. And To add a kicker I told her I thought the same in regard to adultery. A customer overheard us and told one of my co-workers that I needed to shut my [censored] mouth, that he didn't come into our store to spend 50 dollars a week to hear my political opinions. Then I guess he said something to my boss. When she told me I needed to be careful I asked if she offered him a tissue.

Ooooh. Big tough man! War stories from Lighthouse, folks; can you dig it?

Technically, the customer was right. And you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

zoo22

Yes, I think we're too politically correct. Or no, I think we have too much placed on being politically correct.

However, I also think that a lot of the folks who take issue with "political correctness" are a primary reason it's still such a big issue... The misogynists, bigots, whatnots who continue to deny there's still a reason that it's an issue, who don't even seem to believe or acknowledge that there's a legitimate reason for political correctness in speech at all.

I don't think it's an all or nothing. I do believe that there's good reason for "politically correct" speech. But yes, I think we have too much of an emphasis on it.

I don't think Juan Williams was fired only for this comment, but if it actually was based solely on the comment I think it'd be well overboard and wrong to fire him for it. I do think he should have phrased it differently. I also think folks saying funding should be pulled from NPR over this are well overboard.

By the way, most of my left-wing friends that I've heard from about it think it was wrong to fire him.

Only a slight aside, no one here seemed to take issue with NPR news employees not being allowed to attend John Stewart & Stephen Colbert's "Rally to Restore Sanity" & "Keep Fear Alive" rallies (or other political events).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...a slight aside, no one here seemed to take issue with NPR news employees not being allowed to attend John Stewart & Stephen Colbert's "Rally to Restore Sanity" & "Keep Fear Alive" rallies (or other political events).

I thought they were just doing their part to support Colbert. :think:

A hard decision, most likely, but one that begged to be made...so to speak. :plain:

firon

Political correct movement is communist inspired

Political correct movement is communist inspired

The communists began the political correct movement to deprive Americans of their free speech rights. Just wait. We haven't seen the worst of it yet.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
IMO, 'politeness' stems from a self-imposed respect for another person based on a psychological empathy with the feelings or experiences of the other person. For the Christian, it logically follows from the understanding that all human individuals are created in 'the image of GOD', thus they have great value and dignity. 'Political correctness', IMO is an attitude that is unquestioningly 'caught' or assumed by the individual and imposed on everybody by the 'group mind' or opinion, e.g.-'peer pressure'. I've felt this same pressure from cultic groups that I've been exposed to in the past. It's like, "Yeah, I gotta' act this way, cause that's just the way it's done and everybody does it that way, and if I don't, then I must be wrong and I don't want to be wrong and feel icky and I don't really understand this but it must be right, cause everybody else is doing it, and 'so and so' does it, and you know he's like, uh, well you know what he's like and....."
This culture is going to 'politically correct' itself right into 'sharia law' or some other tyranny, because it has lost any 'real' basis for personal responsiblility.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They are justified. It is their company. They can fire him for wearing black socks if they want.

They are federally funded.

Therefore, it your tax dollars that goes to NPR.

So, since it is your money, should they have fired him?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
They are federally funded.

Therefore, it your tax dollars that goes to NPR.

So, since it is your money, should they have fired him?

He is a contributing liberal to Fox News. Of course somebody should fire him.

NPR is their lap dog, not mine. They do what they want with it. Within reason of course.

Alate_One

*waits for lighthouse to get fired* :chuckle:

I don't think the issue with Willams' firing was really about political correctness. NPR wants its reporters/contributors to report the news, not BECOME the news.

I think if this is truly a knee jerk response over one comment it is overkill, but at the same time it isn't the sort of comment a legitimate organization should allow to go unchallenged.

bybee

Well

Well

IMO, 'politeness' stems from a self-imposed respect for another person based on a psychological empathy with the feelings or experiences of the other person. For the Christian, it logically follows from the understanding that all human individuals are created in 'the image of GOD', thus they have great value and dignity. 'Political correctness', IMO is an attitude that is unquestioningly 'caught' or assumed by the individual and imposed on everybody by the 'group mind' or opinion, e.g.-'peer pressure'. I've felt this same pressure from cultic groups that I've been exposed to in the past. It's like, "Yeah, I gotta' act this way, cause that's just the way it's done and everybody does it that way, and if I don't, then I must be wrong and I don't want to be wrong and feel icky and I don't really understand this but it must be right, cause everybody else is doing it, and 'so and so' does it, and you know he's like, uh, well you know what he's like and....."
This culture is going to 'politically correct' itself right into 'sharia law' or some other tyranny, because it has lost any 'real' basis for personal responsiblility.

Of interest to me is that while "Political correctness" has become the cultural norm, civility and good manners are no longer practiced!

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/02/npr_responds.asp

Technically speaking they do only get two percent of their funding from the government.

They get millions. Most of the federal money goes to the local radio stations in cities throughout the USA. However, NPR charges the small local stations a fee. This fee (which comes from the federal money to the local stations) is then passed on back to NPR.

So, the federal money "indirectly" goes to NPR

Status
Not open for further replies.