toldailytopic: God, Satan, or man. Who is the cause of on sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red cardinal

I'm gonna just throw this out there. Shouldn't we consider that these laws regarding cleanliness were there to protect them? It was a sin to disobey the Lord and not follow the laws regarding being clean, because disobedience was a sin. It’s not that being unclean was a sin; it was unhealthy. Ignoring God’s law to become clean was a sin.

I don't think "uncleaness" has to do with sin or being unhealthy. A women who goes through cycles is not "unhealthy", just a men who "copulate" are unhealthy. It has to do with one being ritually tainted due to the Law that God gave to Israel for specific reasons. For instance, touching a dead body was not a sin, but it made one unclean. There is no such "uncleaness" in the new covenant any more.

surrender

I don't think "uncleaness" has to do with sin or being unhealthy. A women who goes through cycles is not "unhealthy", just a men who "copulate" are unhealthy. It has to do with one being ritually tainted due to the Law that God gave to Israel for specific reasons. For instance, touching a dead body was not a sin, but it made one unclean. There is no such "uncleaness" in the new covenant any more.
What I'm saying is that it is not clean to go around with blood or semen on yourself (or the disease a dead body may carry). It's an unhealthy practice and they needed to be taught how to remain healthy. I assume the same with their diet. God knew what would cause digestive problems and disease and He made rules for them to follow to keep them healthy, live longer, and multiply into a larger nation. Pretty simplistic thinking, but that's the first thing I thought of when reading this stuff.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I die in an elevator, I'll be dead and not able to push the up button. Being dead keeps you from doing that.

Apparently your elevator doesn't go all the way up.

No sense of humor. :rolleyes: I guess it is only funny to you if someone is being insulted or lopped off at the knees.

Mike C.

Good and evil are motives, not acts. Sin is an evil motive. It belongs only to the agent whose motive is evil. An act in itself is a-moral.

red cardinal

What I'm saying is that it is not clean to go around with blood or semen on yourself (or the disease a dead body may carry). It's an unhealthy practice and they needed to be taught how to remain healthy. I assume the same with their diet. God knew what would cause digestive problems and disease and He made rules for them to follow to keep them healthy, live longer, and multiply into a larger nation. Pretty simplistic thinking, but that's the first thing I thought of when reading this stuff.

Were people "unhealthy" [did not wash or clean off blood and other body fluids] before the Law of Moses was given?

surrender

Were people "unhealthy" [did not wash or clean off blood and other body fluids] before the Law of Moses was given?
I don't know. Did people eat pork before the law was given? I would think so. But maybe the pork became an unusually unhealthy food for man. Maybe it still is. I don't know. Eventually, people were told not to marry their sibling because it became unhealthy. I figure God was protecting them.

red cardinal

I don't know. Did people eat pork before the law was given? I would think so. But maybe the pork became an unusually unhealthy food for man. Maybe it still is. I don't know. Eventually, people were told not to marry their sibling because it became unhealthy. I figure God was protecting them.

Yes, people ate pork before the Mosaic Law. Yes, pork is unhealthy, but not forbidden per God through Peter's vision. Paul also commented on the meat issue - it is no longer an issue with God because He is more concerned about our spiritual condition. If you want to abstain from pork because it is unhealthy, it is your choice, but it's not going to keep you from Heaven .... of course you may get there a lot quicker if you eat a lot of it :chuckle:

jeneve

Yes, people ate pork before the Mosaic Law. Yes, pork is unhealthy, but not forbidden per God through Peter's vision. Paul also commented on the meat issue - it is no longer an issue with God because He is more concerned about our spiritual condition. If you want to abstain from pork because it is unhealthy, it is your choice, but it's not going to keep you from Heaven .... of course you may get there a lot quicker if you eat a lot of it :chuckle:

Peter's vision had nothing to do with actual food. And abstaining from pork (or shrimp, catfish, etc) was and is a rule for health's sake. Tell me, do you think you can get to "heaven" by disobeying God?

hwyangel

I'm sorry if I'm repeating this, that's alot to read through. First I would like to point out that "evil" is translated this verse differently. It is translated as "calamity" by the NASB and NKJV; "disaster" by the NIV; and "woe" by the RSV.

Also,he context of the verse is speaking of natural phenomena.

"I am the Lord, and there is no other; Besides Me there is no God. I will gird you, though you have not known Me; 6That men may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me. I am the Lord, and there is no other, 7The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these," (Isaiah 45:5-7).

Notice that the context of the verse is dealing with who God is, that it is God who speaks of natural phenomena (sun, light, dark), and it is God who is able to cause "well-being" as well as "calamity." Contextually, this verse is dealing with natural disasters and human comfort issues. It is not speaking of moral evil; rather, it is dealing with calamity, distress, etc.

Also, for God to have created evil it would have to be a created thing. Evil is not created, it is the absence of God.

It is like heat: You can have lots of heat, even more heat, super-heat, mega-heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat, but we don't have anything called 'cold'. We can hit 273 degrees below zero, which is no heat, but we can't go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold, otherwise we would be able to go colder than -273°C. You see, cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat we can measure in thermal units because heat is energy. Cold is not the opposite of heat, just the absence of it.

Or darkness: Darkness is not something, it is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light... but if you have no light constantly you have nothing and it's called darkness.That's the meaning we use to define the word. In reality, Darkness isn't. If it were, you would be able to make darkness darker and give me a jar of it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

hwyangel

Most people think that since God created everything, He is responsible for the creation of evil. However, "evil" is a word that we use to describe certain things that happen to us (most of which are caused by other people). In reality, it is not a physically created thing at all and, therefore, does not fall within the realm of something created by God. So, the argument is fundamentally flawed. Evil is allowed by God so that free will beings can choose between good (i.e., God) or evil (absence of God). Without evil, it is not possible to choose between good and evil, and the universe would have no ultimate purpose.

Think about this: If you had a doll with a string in it's back and every time you pulled the string it would say "I love you". Would you feel loved?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

danoman31

Either God created everything, or he created nothing. He created us to sin, that was the plan from the beginning.
God created Hiltler, Stalin Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein, pedophiles, murderers, rapists, wife abusers, pot holes, hurricanes, tornadoes, eathquakes, etc. Hmm I'll have to ask him about that when I go to see Him. You're an idiot. God created us to sin so that we can suffer in misery? I repeat, you're an idiot of the highest order.:kookoo:

danoman31

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 27th, 2011 11:28 AM

toldailytopic: God, Satan, or man. Who is the cause of on sin?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
We are the cause of sin by the choice we made in the Garden of Eden. Actually it was prior to the apple, it was when we chose to disobey God to eat from the tree of Knowledge. We had free will from the git go.

danoman31

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Exodus 10:20 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go.
You obviously don't get the context of that verse. You need to spend more time learning what verses really mean. Its so sad when people as yourself confuse others trying to learn and understand God's Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.