Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps you should read your own posts (as well as the guy you're defending):

Rusha wrote:

"Means that terminal patients should get to decide if they want extra measures taken to prolong their existence.

When someone is lingering on and has no chance of surviving, their wishes should be the deciding factor as to what medical care is forthcoming."

(Would "medical care" include lethal injection?).

Obviously if I meant lethal injection, I would have stated it outright. :duh:

Granite wrote:
"I support the choice to opt for euthanasia in cases of extreme suffering or terminal illness (which you'd know if you actually read my posts; I suspect you just skim them). And it is your body, so if you want to drive into the ground or misuse it to your heart's content (discontent?), be my guest."

"I'd reserve the right to die for those with a clinically diagnosed case that is terminal, unequivocally intolerable, and medically documented to pose non-stop (and untreatable) agony and suffering."

Granite did not mention lethal injection either. Allowing a terminal patient to die with dignity can be as simple as giving pain meds to alleviate their suffering and taking them off a ventilator.

However, if Granite was referring to lethal injection, he is free to correct me.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

I see, so even though I disagree in every way with the individuals you rattled off, you somehow think they're important or significant to my worldview. "They all look the same to me" definitely comes to mind...

Explain your "worldview". Where do rights come from? What is the basis for morality? If morality is relative, is there really such a thing as morality?
________
XV1600A

Last edited:

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

Obviously if I meant lethal injection, I would have stated it outright. :duh:

The definition is twofold.

Euthanasia: The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

Part two doesn't need legislating; it's the first part that is rearing it's ugly head in various states like WA and OR.
________
Oregon medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited:

bybee

But

But

I do not work in health care, but I have served as a minister in a hospital during my studies.

I have experienced something similar though. My mother died from metastasized cancer after around 1 month in palliative care. I think the outcome you sketch here happens in most cases, and that is the conundrum of this subject, people can defy inhumane pain.
My point is the minority that can not handle it or are not surrounded by family and other loved ones to cling to and to inspire them.
Loving care and dignified treatment should always be the priority for health care, I just think that in a minority of cases that care can be the mercy of granting a death that is inevitable anyway, to relieve them of unspeakable suffering.

Sorry about your husband.

But Selaphiel, my deep concern is also for the person who is asked to administer a "Lethal dose". How does one live with that?
To allow someone to slip away whilst giving them enough pain medication to ease the way is one thing, but, to actively take a life?
I would not do it. Further, I would not ask someone to do it for me.
I have experienced pain that was beyond toleration. Medication dulled the edges so I could breathe. This was not a life threatening situation.
I needed to control the pain so I could continue to function. Eventually the situation got better.
When people are dying it is another kind of situation. There are no one size fit's all answers.
If a person wishes to end his/her own life it is an existential choice.
peace, bybee

Selaphiel

But Selaphiel, my deep concern is also for the person who is asked to administer a "Lethal dose". How does one live with that?
To allow someone to slip away whilst giving them enough pain medication to ease the way is one thing, but, to actively take a life?
I would not do it. Further, I would not ask someone to do it for me.

I agree on that one. I must admit that the case I'm arguing is an extreme one and probably not something that would happen often.
You point out an important issue here, one that has not been addressed here yet as far as I can see. Euthanasia is arguably a violation of the hipocratic oath. There is no way around that this is something you can not force medical professionals to do (Should be the same for abortions).

I have experienced pain that was beyond toleration. Medication dulled the edges so I could breathe. This was not a life threatening situation.
I needed to control the pain so I could continue to function. Eventually the situation got better.
When people are dying it is another kind of situation. There are no one size fit's all answers.
If a person wishes to end his/her own life it is an existential choice.
peace, bybee

I agree that there are no one size fits all answers. Possibly the strongest objection against Euthanasia is that the rules will be nearly impossible to set. Terminal patients is one thing, but terminal patients can live for a quite a bit and they can have varying pain experiences. As I already touched upon, I think the amount of people who would request such a service is rather limited. It is easy to think that you want to be euthanized if you become terminally ill with severe pain. But actual examples tend to show that such patients cling on to life despite the hell they are going through, due to family and loved ones.

You have made me reconsider by reminding me of some important issues. But I still have my concerns for those really lost causes who simply can not take the pain and yet have to. That being said, I have no actual solution for how such a service would be defined.

:e4e:

Squishes

Some people could not do it. There are others who could do it. You live with it by knowing that by giving them a peaceful exit at the time of their choosing you are avoiding hours and perhaps days and weeks of intense pain that will inevitably lead to death.

Granite

Hall of Fame
LOL...get used to it. I acknowledge the wisdom of others. I not only give them credit for their ideas, I link the article so that others can share in that wisdom.

So you have no thoughts of much originality and lean on other people to do your heavy lifting.

Yeeeeeeeeeah.

Dude, you're old news and I've seen your type breeze in and out of here before. Stop acting like you're TOL's hottest big thing. You're old, boring, and predictable. Think for yourself. It's a lot more fun.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

So you have no thoughts of much originality and lean on other people to do your heavy lifting.

Yeeeeeeeeeah.

Dude, you're old news and I've seen your type breeze in and out of here before. Stop acting like you're TOL's hottest big thing. You're old, boring, and predictable. Think for yourself. It's a lot more fun.

With upwards of 25,000 posts, I see that you have TOL "staying power".

I can see why others like me "breeze in and out of here", the welcoming committee is warm like a pile of.....

So moral relative thinking is "fun". Hmmmm, I always thought of it as "destructive".
http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
________
Ford motor company assembly plant specifications

Last edited:

bybee

Um

Um

I can see why others like me "breeze in and out of here", the welcoming committee is warm like a pile of.....

So moral relative thinking is "fun". Hmmmm, I always thought of it as "destructive".

This is not a "welcoming committee" kind of place".
You can expect to be challenged. Pick your battles and run with them.
If you keep an open mind you may learn much that is useful.
"Staying power" has a good deal of value around here!
peace, bybee

Granite

Hall of Fame

You really don't know what you're doing.

You've managed to come here this week, act like a jerk from the start, make idiotic assumptions about me and others here, and expect to be treated well? You can't even stay on topic and don't seem to have any interest in even discussing the actual thread any more. You're a troll who thinks he's smart. Grow up.

If someone pukes on my floor and asks me for a loan the first time I meet them I generally won't oblige.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

This is not a "welcoming committee" kind of place".

Hence my overwhelming desire to be "deloused" after spending a few minutes with those warm and fuzzy atheists on this site.

You can expect to be challenged...

I've never found the atheist mindset to be "challenging" (I pity them).

If you keep an open mind you may learn much that is useful.

Ah, the "open mind" facade. I'll stick with knowng the difference bewteen right and wrong, good vs evil, purity vs debauchary, as told to us through Scripture.
________
Dx7

Last edited:

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Go

Go

If someone pukes on my floor and asks me for a loan the first time I meet them I generally won't oblige.

You (and your fellow atheists) are so used to the stench on your "floor" that you don't even notice that it's covered in your own puke.

A "loan" from you? Do you really think I would ask an atheist for advice on anything?

I've "challenged" your immoral mindset and you HATE it.

(By the way, what did you think of the video of your fellow (homosexual) atheists SODOMIZING the Son of God?).
________
Juggalo

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A person (notice I avoided the word "man") has got to know his limitations.

Hence my overwhelming desire to be "deloused" after spending a few minutes with those warm and fuzzy atheists on this site.

I've never found the atheist mindset to be "challenging" (I pity them).

Ah, the "open mind" facade. I'll stick with knowng the difference bewteen right and wrong, good vs evil, purity vs debauchary, as told to us through Scripture.

You (and your fellow atheists) are so used to the stench on your "floor" that you don't even notice that it's covered in your own puke.

A "loan" from you? Do you really think I would ask an atheist for advice on anything?

(By the way, what did you think of the video of your fellow (homosexual) atheists SODOMIZING the Son of God?).

Why are you going out of your way to be so nasty? This thread is about euthanasia and yet you have managed to turn it into an "All Atheists and non believers are scum of the earth" thread.

If you don't care for being a part of civil discussions, why not just start your very own thread with a title of "my religion tells me to be be hateful to and flame all nonbelievers"?

Granite

Hall of Fame

What an unpleasant, unhappy, and rotten person you are.

I doubt you'd douse yourself in my pool if you set yourself on fire.

No, but I do dislike bad manners. All you are at this point is static.

No idea what you're talking about but if you're spending your free time watching sodomy, you might wanna get some help.:chuckle:

bybee

Subversion

Subversion

You are off topic. Go elsewhere. bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.