toldailytopic: Euthanasia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
If I thought I knew it all, I'd call myself an "atheist".

Scripture is quite clear on the killiing of the innocent. You continue to be an "ala carte atheist" (you get to pick and choose which of God's moral laws you want to abide by); I'll go with His word through Scripture.

And now, a word from our euthanasia friends at Denver Children's Hospital:
http://dylanwalborn.com/

Ah. An Enyart zealot. That explains the rotten manners, stuffed shirt attitude, air of entitlement, rote replies, and predictability.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Careful, you're perilously close to double-dog doubt territory.

I'd give the rest of you the sad, sad, comparative news, but humility prevents me from asserting my rightful place...darn humility. :mmph:

A Seattle conservative? :think: That's a bit like being the biggest fish in the desert.

On topic....so kmo is being burned alive and you've got this extra can of gasoline...what do you do?

shoot it?

that's a tough one

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Ah. An Enyart zealot. That explains the rotten manners, stuffed shirt attitude, air of entitlement, rote replies, and predictability.
:mmph: Granite, seriously. Have you read anything you've posted in this thread at all? What's the matter with you?

bybee

Well

Well

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 14th, 2010 08:16 AM

toldailytopic: Euthanasia.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

When I worked in a nursing home we had certain patient/client wishes clearly listed on their charts regarding "end time" protocols.
There was:
DNR, Do not resuscitate. Patient, Doctor and family were usually included in this decision. If even one family member objected it had to be noted and respected.
DNI, Do not intubate. That is, do not hook up to a respirator to continue breathing.
There was also the caveat to not feed artificially.
I believe we should let the body wind down naturally in the face of incurable and/or intractable disease processes. This means "No Heroics" employed to override the bodies own shutdown mechanisms. Comfort via pain relief and soothing care of the patient's body and emotional needs must be provided.
In the process of dying, the wishes of the individual must be honored.
I believe in the sacredness of life. I would not aid or abet death. But death will come naturally if we do not interfere.
A loving touch and comfortable words employed to the last breath are most important.
Peace, bybee
Comfort must be provided

Granite

Hall of Fame
:mmph: Granite, seriously. Have you read anything you've posted in this thread at all? What's the matter with you?

The guy showed up here and acted like a jerk instantly.* And some of his comments were callous and grotesque,** so I responded accordingly. I ain't the one with the problem here. Even many Christians here are acknowledging that the right to choose a peaceful death in the face of overwhelming suffering is in fact something that wouldn't oppose.

* At least I work my way up to it.

** Seriously, those who want to end their pain are just a bunch of cowards? Good grief.

Selaphiel

The amount of pain that is possible in certain terminal diseases are simply indescribable, even maximum dosages of morphine do not take away the pain. Many seem to think that an action has to be active to be considered immoral. I very much believe that cruel passivity is immoral as well. To refuse to expedite the inevitable in such cases is nothing but misguided idealist morality. The effects of such passivity is inhumane amounts of pain and in many cases humiliation of the patient and it serves no purpose.
I do not see how one can honor the sacredness of life by forcing someone to suffer hell and lose all their dignity. That seems to me to be more of a mockery of life.

bybee

A question:

A question:

The amount of pain that is possible in certain terminal diseases are simply indescribable, even maximum dosages of morphine do not take away the pain. Many seem to think that an action has to be active to be considered immoral. I very much believe that cruel passivity is immoral as well. To refuse to expedite the inevitable in such cases is nothing but misguided idealist morality. The effects of such passivity is inhumane amounts of pain and in many cases humiliation of the patient and it serves no purpose.
I do not see how one can honor the sacredness of life by forcing someone to suffer hell and lose all their dignity. That seems to me to be more of a mockery of life.

Are you involved in health care?
My husband died of metastatic adenocarcinoma. Right up to the last two weeks of his life we were able to manage his pain well. He claimed that he was comfortable and he was able to sleep without visible signs of pain on his face.
The last week of his life he became semi-comatose. I helped him to perform his ablutions and he whispered to me "I don't want to let go. I don't want to give up." I dosed him with pain meds according to Doctor's direction. His last three days he couldn't really respond verbally. But he appeared to be pain free with medication.
It is painful to speak of this but important I think.
My husband knew he was safe with me. I did honor his wishes.
He died at home surrounded by loved one's.
No one should suffer agonizing, unremitting pain. I have been at the bedside of many dying persons and, as far as we could ascertain, we did manage their pain.
There is no easy, "one size fits all" answer to this question. peace, bybee

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
The guy showed up here and acted like a jerk instantly.* And some of his comments were callous and grotesque,** so I responded accordingly. I ain't the one with the problem here. Even many Christians here are acknowledging that the right to choose a peaceful death in the face of overwhelming suffering is in fact something that wouldn't oppose.

* At least I work my way up to it.

** Seriously, those who want to end their pain are just a bunch of cowards? Good grief.

View attachment 15708

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Those in their right mind who are suffering from a terminal condition should be allowed to go out on their own terms.

Those who sign a decree or will that stipulates they are to be euthanized following a pre-determined set of circumstances should have that right.

To prolong the suffering of the terminally ill is cruelty masquerading as compassion.

This is the most personal and significant decision imaginable—and we should allow ourselves to legally make it.

Yeah that.

Reminds me of when a friend of mine chose not to go under chemo for his cancer. It would have only given him 6 more months, a year at the most. As they said at his funeral, he chose quality of life over quantity. I miss him terribly, but I respect and agree with his decision.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Well I don't know what your problem is today but if this is one of those mornings where my posts annoy you, don't read them.
Hey, just trying to help. You're being a brazen hypocrite, is all. But since my posts are obviously only annoying you, then yeah, I'll move along. :idunno:

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Hey, just trying to help. You're being a brazen hypocrite, is all. But since my posts are obviously only annoying you, then yeah, I'll move along. :idunnno:

If Seattle's a big boy I'm sure he doesn't need you running interference for him. And if anyone else actually wants to discuss the topic, please feel free.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Means that terminal patients should get to decide if they want extra measures taken to prolong their existence.

When someone is lingering on and has no chance of surviving, their wishes should be the deciding factor as to what medical care is forthcoming.​

I agree.

I have had family members ask what they should for terminally ill family member, to which I respond, "If you were in this condition what kind care would you want?"

As for euthanasia, I do not agree with it. I believe that through the process of time, there will come a selective system of care for the ill and infirm, you know for the good of the people. A system that dictates who lives and who dies because some are of no use and cannot by any contribution to society.

I've posted before on this topic. I have nothing new to add. For all the years in nursing home ministry, it is sorrowful thing to those who a on the precipice of the end of life suffer.

Sitting with them in their final days, hours or moments, is difficult at best. Some have looked at me, and with all the voice they could muster, have uttered, "Tom, help me." Some have said nothing as I was holding their hand not able to speak, but you could see in the eyes of some of the anguish, maybe calm, then nothing.

At the nursing home several of those who on comfort care are on a morphine drip, after having been on a morphine patch for a while. To these dear one’s suffer with pain and agony that seems beyond measure is hard to put words to, I favor comfort care, but not deliberate euthanasia. Answers to this euthanasia are hard to come by.

As for the morphine drip for terminally ill, it is what it is. I was minutes away from a morphine drip if I hadn't begin to show improved signs of life. That is something to think about.

I’m truly sorrowful for those who are suffering in a condition that holds no hope of recovery, or a quality of life that is no quality. I believe the Great Physician is also our Great Sympathizer, when there is no finite answer, the answer is in the Infinite

As long as we, Mrs Psalmist and me are able, we will for the ill and infirm, the terminal, continue to sit and hold their hands, pray with them, talk to them, read Scripture to them, they still matter, even if they cannot doing but breathe slowly and say nothing.

Thank the Lord we can be there, if just for a moment. It is a part of helping the living take care of their dying.

Death is end of dying.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone here is advocated (or has advocated) a government-mandated program; what I favor is the ability for an individual to make this choice.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone here is advocated (or has advocated) a government-mandated program;

And I don't either. But what would be the possibility of such in years to come.​

what I favor is the ability for an individual to make this choice.

Yes, I agree.

Living will, advance directive, Five Wishes, etc., can be put into place for the day that a person cannot make their own decisions.

And that we have done.​

Granite

Hall of Fame
And I don't either. But what would be the possibility of such in years to come.​

Yes, I agree.

Living will, advance directive, Five Wishes, etc., can be put into place for the day that a person cannot make their own decisions.

And that we have done.​

Yet I don't think you'd support a patient telling their doctor to euthanize them and having it done. And I would take that next step under the appropriate circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.