toldailytopic: Can God change His mind?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 23rd, 2012 10:04 AM

toldailytopic: Can God change His mind?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Can God change His mind?
At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it; If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them. Jer. 18:7-10​
It doesn't get much more conclusive than this. So you can go ahead and move onto the next ToD, Knight. :e4e:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It doesn't get much more conclusive than this. So you can go ahead and move onto the next ToD, Knight. :e4e:
It's amazing that some folks want to put that type of a limitation on God. The ability to change is fundamental to a relational God.

How else could God possibly demonstrate mercy or judgement if He didn't have the ability to change His mind?

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's amazing that some folks want to put that type of a limitation on God. The ability to change is fundamental to a relational God.

How else could God possibly demonstrate mercy or judgement if He didn't have the ability to change His mind?

AMEN!

Following that passage [that I quoted] in Jeremiah 18, God actually demonstrated what He just said by telling the people of Judah that He was framing evil against them. He said that to give them a kick in the pants so they would repent...so that He could then NOT do what He said He would do.
Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good. Jer. 18:11​

PureX

Can God change His mind?
Ah, a variation on a classic. Let's see ... sure, but I expect it would be unnecessary.

Can God countermand his own commands? Can God act contrary to his own desires? Can God choose not to be omniscient, since he's omnipotent?

These are all questions that are based on the limitations of human experience. They don't have answers when applied to "God". It's like trying to measure a sunset with a ruler.

Paulos

Can God change His mind?
Jer. 18:7-10​

This is not an example of God changing His mind. It is an example of God's people repenting of their sins and getting themselves back into a right covenant relationship with God. It is the people who changed their minds, as per Deuteronomy 11:26-28.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is not an example of God changing His mind. It is an example of God's people repenting of their sins and getting themselves back into a right covenant relationship with God. It is the people who changed their minds, as per Deuteronomy 11:26-28.

God said (in Jer. 18): "...then I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them."

Paulos says: "No you don't, God."

Okay...

amanneredfool

AMEN!

Following that passage [that I quoted] in Jeremiah 18, God actually demonstrated what He just said by telling the people of Judah that He was framing evil against them. He said that to give them a kick in the pants so they would repent...so that He could then NOT do what He said He would do.
Now therefore go to, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you: return ye now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good. Jer. 18:11​
Hey,

I don't see God changing His eternal decree or position on sin............ return to me/repent and you shall live.

bybee

God said (in Jer. 18): "...then I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them."

Okay...

It creates quite a paradox to say that God cannot do something.
More to the point is, in God's ineffable goodness all things are possible.

Paulos

Obviously, if people repent, God responds accordingly:

The meaning is not that God changed His mind; still less that He regretted something that He had intended to do. It means, in biblical language, that He now embarked on a different course of action from that already suggested as a possibility, owing to some new factor which is usually mentioned in the context. In the Bible, it is clear that God’s promises and warnings are always conditional on man’s response: this is most clearly set out in Ezekiel 33:13-16.​

http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/559-does-god-change-his-mind

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If he knows the end.. he knows everything in between.. and must be happy with what happens in between, so him ever changing his mind would kind of be unnecessary.. wouldn't it?
An NFL referee knows the when the game will start and knows what conditions will signal the end of the game. It doesn't follow that therefore the referee also knows all the details in-between.

Likewise, God knows the end from the beginning but that doesn't mean He has settled all the events in-between.