toldailytopic: Can a saved person lose their salvation?

Cruciform

I know Him, and He does not know you. He knows who your father is (the devil), and you will burn in hell with him.
Already answered (Posts #74, #78, and #79). Thanks for nicely proving my point.

Also, you forgot to quote the rest of my statement:
"...and repent of your arrogance and hatred. "...you are in the gall of bitterness and in the bond of iniquity" (Ac. 8:23). May God take pity on you."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cracked

I've heard mental assent touted on TOL since I don't know when--"assent to the gospel of grace, and you're saved, and that's it, you demon!" However, though related, that is somewhat outside of the point here. I am sorry that I brought it up, because it allowed for an easy dodge. Here is the meat of the dilemma again:

If we did "understand what salvation was," could we change our mind about that?

If we can't change our minds, then can it be said that we have freewill?

If we can't change our minds, it would follow that we lose the ability to be free. If we lose our ability to be free, it begs the question--were we really free to begin with?

If we do not have freewill (i.e., the lack of freedom/free thought), then Calvin was right--and that would really tick a lot of TOLers off. :)

Does it come back to that choice again--free will or predestination? Make your choice.

zippy2006

But how would you address the OP with respect to post-death salvation Cracked? I think there is still mystery involved. :idunno:

Jedidiah

If we can't change our minds, it would follow that we lose the ability to be free. If we lose our ability to be free, it begs the question--were we really free to begin with?

If we do not have freewill (i.e., the lack of freedom/free thought), then Calvin was right--and that would really tick a lot of TOLers off. :)

Does it come back to that choice again--free will or predestination? Make your choice.
Dear Cracked,

Salvation is a matter of submitting and surrendering your will to the risen Lord Jesus Christ, through verbal confession of Him and belief in your heart that God raised Him from the dead. At such a time, your will is now His, and so in order for you to ever lose salvation, it would take an act of His will and not yours, since you surrendered your will to Him when you converted; when you confessed Him with your mouth as Lord.

That's what 'Lord' means. It's not Jesus' first name.

So, you have free will, which you use to freely reject Him, until you confess Him with your mouth as Lord, when your will becomes His, as in, He owns it now; you gave it to Him.

That's what 'Lord' means. It's not Jesus' honorary title.

In Him,
-Jed

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Many Christians on TOL believe that salvation is a matter of belief in the gospel of grace--purely mental assent--they even stop short at the mention of faith (though that is perhaps a different discussion). So, to them I ask:
If I believe that the world is flat then subsequently receive, what I value as compelling, evidence to the contrary and change my belief, do I:

A. Still secretly believe, so secretly that I myself don't even recognize it.

or...

B. No longer believe in the a flat earth.

This is, of course, generally countered with the "you never REALLY believed in the first place." If this is true, once I do believe in a flat earth it follows that it is impossible to change my mind. If it is indeed impossible, can it be said that I have freedom of thought/belief?
The earth isn't flat, it's somewhat spherical. You can't see this with your own eyes or touch it with your hands, but that's the reality nonetheless.

The point would be that we utterly lack the faith to accept that the earth if spherical. We can't see past the obvious flatness of it. It's clearly flat. We look around and see that it is flat. We walk and our center of gravity never changes.

We have mountains of evidence that the earth is spherical but we can't accept any of it. We can pretend to, of course. Or we can embrace insanity and the delusion that it is so. But clearly, whatever evidence to the contrary, the earth is simply flat. There's no getting around that.

Then you surrender to Christ and God grants you the faith to accept all the evidence that you can't see with your eyes or touch with your hands. And you are, finally, able to accept the reality that the earth is spherical. It's quite obvious. The evidence is overwhelming. Of course the earth is not flat.

Then someone tells you that you can believe the earth is spherical, even though it clearly is flat, then reject that belief later. Someone could fool themselves into believing the earth is spherical, for example. Or a crazy person could develop the delusion that the earth is spherical. In either case, later abandoning that belief. And this is proof that belief in a spherical earth can be lost. And so belief in this spherical earth is no basis for salvation.

So then you smack the person in the head for being stupid. Because of course that's no basis for salvation. You know that the earth is spherical because you're redeemed and that faith has been granted to you. You're not redeemed because you recognize the earth is round.

:maxi:

We aren't redeemed because we have faith in Christ. We have faith in Christ because we are redeemed.

If we had to have faith to be saved, no one would ever be saved.

S0Z0

BANNED
Banned
Understand what salvation is, does not save you. Hearing and believing the Gospel saves you.

Dead men do not have free will to change who they are. Those who are saved died with Christ. They are a new creation. They have His life, and it is no longer they who live, but Christ. They have been bought and belong to Him. They are not their own. Stop trying to be in control. Stop trying to play God.

Free to do what? You were dead in sin. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation. You either believe the Gospel or you do not. That is it. Those who believe the Gospel receive His life, which IS salvation. Those who do not believe the Gospel remain dead.

Calvin is wrong. It's not even close. It is not an either/or based on your presumptions. You don't get it, and you won't get it, because you don't give a crap.

It's neither.

Cracked

So, you have free will, which you use to freely reject Him, until you confess Him with your mouth as Lord, when your will becomes His, as in, He owns it now; you gave it to Him.

In Him,
-Jed

Freewill until you assent to the gospel of grace, then you lose the capacity for freewill? I'm not totally knocking the idea... explain further please.

S0Z0

BANNED
Banned
Predestination... got it!
No, you don't get it all. You're just boneheaded and self-righteous.

If you were ever to believe the Gospel, then (and only then) would you "get it".

Faith comes by hearing and hearing the message of Christ.

Faith is a gift we receive when we believe the Gospel.

Calvinism teaches that faith is given before hearing the Gospel so that the hearer can believe. That is false.

zippy2006

So do you really so utterly fail to understand what I said or are you willing to lie in order to deny what I said?

Er, Cracked is right. Your solution was essentially Calvinistic. Else what was it? And Sozo said something entirely different (his causal connection went the opposite way)

Cracked

So do you really so utterly fail to understand what I said or are you willing to lie in order to deny what I said?

Okay... I'll try again. Everyone is invited, but only those who accept lose their capacity to make freewill decisions. Maybe we are on to something here.

So, we can choose to accept or reject Christ, until we accept Him. At that point, we cannot reject Him, no matter what! It is not longer possible. If we claim to have rejected Him after we accepted Him, we are liars. However, those who do so still keep their freewill...

zippy2006

Okay... I'll try again. Everyone is invited, but only those who accept lose their capacity to make freewill decisions. Maybe we are on to something here.

So, we can choose to accept or reject Christ, until we accept Him. At that point, we cannot reject Him, no matter what! It is not longer possible. If we claim to have rejected Him after we accepted Him, we are liars. However, those who do so still keep their freewill...

I don't find such a position overly logically problematic (though I tend to agree with your criticism to an extent). After all, don't you essentially believe the same thing about post-death salvation? Or can you fall away even after coming to the Promised Land?

Jedidiah

In Him,
-Jed
Freewill until you assent to the gospel of grace, then you lose the capacity for freewill? I'm not totally knocking the idea... explain further please.
Dear Cracked,

Yes, essentially. It's a very dangerous thing to become a Christian. You are volunteering to be crucified, buried and then resurrected; to be re-created; to pass from death to life -- all very serious, all very permanent.

There's no givesies-backsies.

So you are free, free to reject the Gospel, and free to believe the Gospel. But believing the Gospel is not what I would describe as "mental assent," because that's not how Romans 10:9 reads. It says "confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus," and as I said, 'Lord' isn't His first name, it means, "I surrender, myself, my will, my everything, to You, Lord Jesus." He is the Lord. He has been given all authority in Heaven and on earth, and now you've surrendered yourself to Him, so now, your freedom is gone.

Fortunately and wondrously, your freedom, which you thought you had, was actually bondage, and your bondage to the Lord Jesus Christ is actually freedom 2Co3:17. You can now do whatever you want.

Rejoice.

In Him,
-Jed

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame

:AMR:

I think you have a problem with your brain being missing. (Ten points for the reference!)

Okay...I'll try again.

We don't have the capacity for faith. We're not capable of it. God gives us that when we hear the gospel, believe it and accept Christ. It's something human beings simply aren't capable of otherwise. Does that make more sense?

So I'm saved by faith. That faith never falters. It's perfect. Because it's Christ's, not mine. He is here in me and He's given that faith to me. That's the only way I could have it.

What free will is lost here?

zippy2006

We don't have the capacity for faith. We're not capable of it. God gives us that when we hear the gospel, believe it and accept Christ. It's something human beings simply aren't capable of otherwise. Does that make more sense?

God gives us faith. Do we have a choice in the matter? Can we reject the faith that God gives us? (What free will exists here?)

Cracked

I don't find such a position overly logically problematic (though I tend to agree with your criticism to an extent). After all, don't you essentially believe the same thing about post-death salvation? Or can you fall away even after coming to the Promised Land?

You could be assuming that there is no difference between this life and post death. Perhaps we need to be examining the idea of dieing in and out of faith. If you are saying, ostensibly, that if you know what you are getting you wouldn't reject it, then perhaps there is an option for things to muddy your view, so to speak. Could it be that we are given an option to accept God's grace, but are distracted by the flesh/world/devil?

Do you believe that one must maintain faith in Heaven (or on the New Earth) to avoid being cast out to hell? If we "see it," do we need faith at that point?

Charity

successful leaders see opportunity's...
Faith is about hearing? Faith is about Instructions?
Not all country's use the metric system
Isn't Love meant to be the redeeming principle? why is the crowing of Grace so twisted around, fragmental sacrifice every where one looks? the two Jewish covenants are as liquids that can not be mixed! they separate.

zippy2006

You could be assuming that there is no difference between this life and post death.

I am just pointing out that the same difference could be present in an OSASer's view.

Perhaps we need to be examining the idea of dieing in and out of faith. If you are saying, ostensibly, that if you know what you are getting you wouldn't reject it, then perhaps there is an option for things to muddy your view, so to speak. Could it be that we are given an option to accept God's grace, but are distracted by the flesh/world/devil?

Do you believe that one must maintain faith in Heaven (or on the New Earth) to avoid being cast out to hell? If we "see it," do we need faith at that point?

I'm not really sure to be honest. Adam and Eve saw it. I certainly agree that there is a significant difference though. :eek: I think we will not need hope at that point, but faith? That touches on Lucifer and the Fall. In any event I tend to agree with you. :chuckle: