toldailytopic: At what point does a person become a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovejoy

It might be interesting and worthwhile, at some point, to rehash some of these notions again all in one thread. I would like to hear a defense again of the non-dualist/mind only position and their perspective on when consciousness begins. As well, I would like to hear a soul-begins-with-conception advocate speak to whether the soul is contigent to the physical mind, mind contigent to soul, or a simultaneous, noncontigent event. There are several other items on the list, as well.

Krsto

It might be interesting and worthwhile, at some point, to rehash some of these notions again all in one thread. I would like to hear a defense again of the non-dualist/mind only position and their perspective on when consciousness begins. As well, I would like to hear a soul-begins-with-conception advocate speak to whether the soul is contigent to the physical mind, mind contigent to soul, or a simultaneous, noncontigent event. There are several other items on the list, as well.

How about a hybrid: soul begins with consciousness which begins when brain is developed enough for it and were it not for divine intervention, granting of eternal life, for example, said soul would simply cease to be with cessation of brain activity.

Support:

1) unless you are mormon, you don't believe the soul pre-exists the body.
2) the concept of eternal soul is from Plato, not the bible.
3) the wages of sin is death, not eternal life of suffering.
4) God grants eternal life to the believer - it's not automatic at conception or birth.

Almost everyone here trying to answer the OP says life begins at conception. That's a non-dualistic answer.

Krsto

Because ambiguity means I don't actually know when I am commiting, well, murder. The only precedent I can find is the soul granted at the moment life began. Consider this my way of honoring Matthew 3:15, let it be so now, fulfilling all righteousness, at least until we have more information.

What about arguing from nature? God made it so 95% of those conceived with genetic problems end in miscarraige in the first 20 weeks of gestation. Appearantly he isn't too concerned about them dying?

Lovejoy

How about a hybrid: soul begins with consciousness which begins when brain is developed enough for it and were it not for divine intervention, granting of eternal life, for example, said soul would simply cease to be with cessation of brain activity.

Support:

1) unless you are mormon, you don't believe the soul pre-exists the body.
2) the concept of eternal soul is from Plato, not the bible.
3) the wages of sin is death, not eternal life of suffering.
4) God grants eternal life to the believer - it's not automatic at conception or birth.

Almost everyone here trying to answer the OP says life begins at conception. That's a non-dualistic answer.

Let me think about this a bit, check some of your other posts, and look into the concept in general. A hasty response would be no real response at all.

Lovejoy

What about arguing from nature? God made it so 95% of those conceived with genetic problems end in miscarraige in the first 20 weeks of gestation. Appearantly he isn't too concerned about them dying?

Did He? Maybe, but that also suggests that He is responsible for the double digit infant mortality rates that have occured in some areas at some times (ie, 35% in Africa in the 19th century). Considering spontaneous miscarriage due solely to chromosomal problems occur in less that 10% of all pregnancies, that is, classicaly, a far less pressing problem. To the former, the common Christian answer has been a fallen world. Are we to assume that the latter is any different? Why is He off the hook on drought and poor medical science, but responsible for poor cell division?

Lovejoy

Did He? Maybe, but that also suggests that He is responsible for the double digit infant mortality rates that have occured in some areas at some times (ie, 35% in Africa in the 19th century). Considering spontaneous miscarriage due solely to chromosomal problems occur in less that 10% of all pregnancies, that is, classicaly, a far less pressing problem. To the former, the common Christian answer has been a fallen world. Are we to assume that the latter is any different? Why is He off the hook on drought and poor medical science, but responsible for poor cell division?

I am about to leave for my first night of a long series of 12 hour night shifts, so I just want to add a post-script. The above is not necessarily my full position on the matter, as there are a number of situations (such as trophoblastic disease) where cells continue to divide until they constitute a tumor, and to argue for soul at conception would be to argue for the life of a tumor. On the other hand, I have seen in utero infections essentially wipe out cognition before birth, and yet a child is born that is capable of continued "life." Obviously, this is an biologically challenging area, as well as an ethical minefield. Given that I don't even have an established position on how the soul is attached to the child (supernatural, natural, other), I still need to think about this.

Krsto

I don't know that there wouldn't have been genetic malfunctions in a non-fallen world but does it really matter given the fall happened rather early on? I share your concern about being careful not to murder and I don't have a definitive answer either but I don't have a problem with the morning after pill and don't see a reason why I should. I might even go for a "during the next week" pill and still feel I am erring on the side of caution. Beyond that, I feel like I am in uncharted territory until we get to the point a fetus has brain activity in which case I can give a reason why killing such would be murder. And partial-birth abortion - a heinous crime, in my non-so-humble opinion.

Krsto

I am about to leave for my first night of a long series of 12 hour night shifts, so I just want to add a post-script. The above is not necessarily my full position on the matter, as there are a number of situations (such as trophoblastic disease) where cells continue to divide until they constitute a tumor, and to argue for soul at conception would be to argue for the life of a tumor. On the other hand, I have seen in utero infections essentially wipe out cognition before birth, and yet a child is born that is capable of continued "life." Obviously, this is an biologically challenging area, as well as an ethical minefield. Given that I don't even have an established position on how the soul is attached to the child (supernatural, natural, other), I still need to think about this.

Curious to know what happens with the baby born without cognition.

WizardofOz

. . . that thread was about abortion . . . not “At what point does a person become a person?” Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?

. . . key word in yellow . . . and my “extreme fringe view” is consistent with, “Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?"

Heartbeat and brain "activity" are red herrings. Come on, admit it. "Breathing" is your argument. The other two.....not so much.

The zygote is a "person" (noun) as it is "human", an individual and living.
. . . this is not exactly true . . . a zygote is not necessarily an “individual” because there still exists the possibility of “twinning” which can occur up to 12 days after fertilization . . . so . . . your "criteria" is . . . just as arbitrary as anyone else’s.

:doh: So, because the zygote might become two individuals that means it isn't at minimum a new individual? Talk about arguing the ridiculous. Is two more or less than one? You're conceding that it is at least one individual but dispute its individuality because it may twin.

Wow. I'm convinced.

. . . unacceptable because it’s one of 15 possible definitions for “person.”

Definition A is unacceptable because there is also definition B, C and D? That would be the case with ALL words, Einstein. What an incredibly awesome argument you've got going on. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Therefore, no definition is accurate because there are always other definitions to use. Words are undefinable.

. . . I’m not sure . . . probably more so as an adjective . . . you though are/were flip-flopping between “person” (noun) = “human” (noun) and “person” (noun) = “human” (adjective) which is equivocation on your part (which I recall pointing out on the (an)other tread).

I used dictionary definitions. Always have. That is what is so hilarious about you and others whining about equivocation....."human (-being)" and "person" are synonymous. You are just being incredulous about the semantic reality.

Synonyms
1. Person, individual, personage are terms applied to human beings.

You've conceded that zygotes are "human" but you want to differentiate between "human" and "human-being" for the sake of your made-up definitions when even dictionaries make no such distinction.

human being - any individual of the genus Homo, especially a member of the species Homo sapiens.

Is a zygote an individual of the genus Homo? Yup.

Damn dictionaries always equivocating. :hammer:

Silent Hunter

Heartbeat and brain "activity" are red herrings. Come on, admit it. "Breathing" is your argument. The other two.....not so much.
. . . Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?

I maintain all three are necessary criteria for "personhood" (as well as "human," "individual," and "living") . . . so . . . NOT a red herring (unlike your attempt to derail the discussion by bring in abortion and coma . . . which clearly ARE red herrings).

So, because the zygote might become two individuals that means it isn't at minimum a new individual? Talk about arguing the ridiculous. Is two more or less than one? You're conceding that it is at least one individual but dispute its individuality because it may twin.
I've "conceded" nothing in this regard . . . however . . . taking YOUR "argument" to it's "logical" conclusion (not that your "arguments" are ever "logical") . . . if a newly fertilized egg is a separate and unique "individual" then after "twinning" each "half" is not ONE separate, unique individual but is one-HALF of one individual . . . :crackup:

A zygote is not and cannot be considered a "separate and unique" "person" until AFTER the possibility of twinning has passed :nono:.

Wow. I'm convinced.
I'm convinced . . . you'd argue black was white Wiz.

Definition A is unacceptable because there is also definition B, C and D? That would be the case with ALL words, Einstein. What an incredibly awesome argument you've got going on. You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
. . . your response here clearly takes me out of context . . .

1. a human being, whether man, woman, or child . . . clearly a zygote is NOT a man, woman, or child (though it possesses the potential for being one).

. . . or . . .

7. the body in its external aspect . . . which makes a dead human body a “person.”

definitions 1 & 7 suit "person" just as sufficiently as yours.

Therefore, no definition is accurate because there are always other definitions to use. Words are undefinable.
I didn't say that . . . I'm saying that the "definition" YOU choose to define "person" is validly "defined" another way . . . there is a reason an unambiguous meaning for "person" is so hard to nail down. This doesn't make your "definition" wrong and mine right (or vise-versa) . . . they are both valid.

Person

One of the central problems of metaphysics is what it is to be a person. The answer ought to account for central phenomena of personhood; rationality, command of language, self-consciousness, control or agency, and moral worth or title to respect, are amongst the salient characteristics that have been thought to distinguish persons from other forms of life. In Locke, ‘person’ is a forensic term, applying for moral reasons (‘to agents capable of a law, and happiness and misery’, Essay, ii. 27). A dualistic approach regards a person as an amalgam of an essentially separate mind and body, with the resulting problem of reinventing their unity in the living person (see mind-body problem, occasionalism). Monistic theories, such as that of Strawson's Individuals (1959), work with a primitive concept of a person, as some one thing logically capable of being described in bodily or mental terms. A popular modern analogy is with the compatible software and hardware descriptions of a computer (see functionalism).​

. . . the concept of a person is difficult to define in a way that is universally accepted, due to its historical and cultural variability and the controversies surrounding its use in some contexts.​

I used dictionary definitions. Always have. That is what is so hilarious about you and others whining about equivocation....."human (-being)" and "person" are synonymous. You are just being incredulous about the semantic reality.

Synonyms
1. Person, individual, personage are terms applied to human beings.

. . . how a word is applied doesn't necessarily equate to what the word means.

You've conceded that zygotes are "human" but you want to differentiate between "human" and "human-being" for the sake of your made-up definitions when even dictionaries make no such distinction.

human being - any individual of the genus Homo, especially a member of the species Homo sapiens.

. . . clearly you don't know the difference between a "noun" and an "adjective." Is the zygote human or is the zygote a person? (Waits to watch the equivocation begin.)

Is a zygote an individual of the genus Homo? Yup.
. . . for how long? . . . see also above and the previous post.

EDIT: A dead human body is an "individual" of the genus "Homo" . . . which makes a dead human body a “person” . . . by your definition . . . as pointed out earlier . . . which you ignored . . . as usual.

Damn dictionaries always equivocating.
. . . as I said earlier . . . dictionaries aren't the problem :yawn:.

You avoided these . . .

Is a “person” still a “person” if their brain has ceased to function, their heart has stopped, and they have stopped breathing?

Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?

Last edited:

WizardofOz

. . . Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?

You expect people to simply accept your made-up-on-the-fly definition of "personhood". Your argument above describes life vs. death not person vs. non-person.

Is a person who has stopped breathing, lacks a heartbeat, and whose brain has ceased to function said to have lost "personhood"? No.....they're just dead. A dead "person".

Now, is a zygote alive?

I maintain all three are necessary criteria for "personhood"

You make up. You maintain.

(as well as "human," "individual," and "living") . . .

Zygotes are human, individual (not their mother; in their mother not a part of their mother) and they are living.

. . . clearly you don't know the difference between a "noun" and an "adjective." Is the zygote human or is the zygote a person? (Waits to watch the equivocation begin.)

Both. Saying so isn't equivocation as if it must it be a question of "or"? I understand the difference between a noun or an adjective, I'm the one who brought up the argument. "Human" is most commonly an adjective. A point you have conceded.

NOW....
A human zygote is a person (in its earliest stage). A human hand is not a person, it is a part of a person. I don't know why this is such a difficult semantic concept to grasp.

Is a “person” still a “person” if their brain has ceased to function, their heart has stopped, and they have stopped breathing?

Yes, albeit a dead one. Six Sense catchphrase: "I see dead people". :D

Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?

The circle begins again :p

Samstarrett

In light of the obvious wisdom of Wizard's post, I will retract my adjustment of my original definition.

Wizard: You can explain it as much as you like, Silent Hunter will still stick his fingers in his ears and beat his precious straw man with his elbows.

Silent Hunter

You expect people to simply accept your made-up-on-the-fly definition of "personhood". Your argument above describes life vs. death not person vs. non-person.
ALL definitions are "made up" to suit the idea we are trying to convey.

Person

One of the central problems of metaphysics is what it is to be a person. The answer ought to account for central phenomena of personhood; rationality, command of language, self-consciousness, control or agency, and moral worth or title to respect, are amongst the salient characteristics that have been thought to distinguish persons from other forms of life. In Locke, ‘person’ is a forensic term, applying for moral reasons (‘to agents capable of a law, and happiness and misery’, Essay, ii. 27). A dualistic approach regards a person as an amalgam of an essentially separate mind and body, with the resulting problem of reinventing their unity in the living person (see mind-body problem, occasionalism). Monistic theories, such as that of Strawson's Individuals (1959), work with a primitive concept of a person, as some one thing logically capable of being described in bodily or mental terms. A popular modern analogy is with the compatible software and hardware descriptions of a computer (see functionalism).​

. . . the concept of a person is difficult to define in a way that is universally accepted, due to its historical and cultural variability and the controversies surrounding its use in some contexts.​

Is a person who has stopped breathing, lacks a heartbeat, and whose brain has ceased to function said to have lost "personhood"? No.....they're just dead. A dead "person".
. . . :rotfl: then I guess YOUR definition of "person" = "human, individual, LIVING" . . . the one YOU made up . . . was a lie.

Now, is a zygote alive?
Alive . . . :idunno: . . . perhaps. A person . . . NO . . . nor can it be considered an "individual" as pointed out previously . . .

You make up. You maintain.
:rotfl: . . . you lie . . . you dodge . . . you equivocate . . .

Zygotes are human, individual (not their mother; in their mother not a part of their mother) and they are living.
Equivocation . . . though you have ABSOLUTELY no idea why . . . you're clueless Wiz (because you don't know the difference between a noun and an adjective) . . . :dunce:.

Both. Saying so isn't equivocation as if it must it be a question of "or"?
Calling crap in a can Crapola doesn't mean its not crap.

I understand the difference between a noun or an adjective, I'm the one who brought up the argument
. . . wrongly . . . :idea: :kookoo: :yawn:

"Human" is most commonly an adjective. A point you have conceded.
Irrelevant !!!!! Either you use "person" as a noun and equate it to "human" as a noun or your "argument" is equivocation . . . vague . . . meaningless.

. . . and so . . . the trend continues . . . "person" (noun) = "human" (noun/adjective depending on Wiz's latest whim) = "person" (noun) = "human" (noun/adjective, depending on Wiz's latest whim).

NOW....
A human zygote is a person (in its earliest stage). A human hand is not a person, it is a part of a person. I don't know why this is such a difficult semantic concept to grasp.
. . . said the guy who says a human corpse is a person . . . but admits it isn't ("person" = "human, individual, LIVING").

Yes, albeit a dead one. Six Sense catchphrase: "I see dead people".
. . . LOL . . . yet . . . you still insist on violating your own "made up" definition of "person" = "human, individual, LIVING" . . . you're a riot.

EDIT: Cole doesn't see dead human bodies . . . he sees ghosts . . . which he calls "dead people;" (recall the scene in the car with his mother where he is "ready to communicate" ? The dead woman's body is still at the scene of the accident . . . her "ghost" is seen by Cole's window).

The circle begins again
. . . the equivocation continues.

Last edited:

Silent Hunter

In light of the obvious wisdom of Wizard's post, I will retract my adjustment of my original definition.

Wizard: You can explain it as much as you like, Silent Hunter will still stick his fingers in his ears and beat his precious straw man with his elbows.
:confused:

:idea:

:think:

:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.