toldailytopic: At what point does a person become a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You said: "You'd have to assume that the only way to cure Parkinson's would be with stem cells and [which I don't] even less established, stem cells that could only be obtained via an aborted fetus [no idea where you got this idea]." One second I'm talking zygotes, then you're talking aborted fetuses. One thing at a time, please.
Ah, what confused me was your saying I was conflating the two. Are you suggesting that the stem cells you're talking about don't come from abortions? I did mention that sort.

So you're not pinpointing any moment of personhood or its endowment. Well that's a slippery way of being able to have your cake and eat it too.
...slippery? :idunno: It's just a rational argument with particular support.

So far you don't seem to have a standard beyond disagreeing with anyone who thinks a zygote's less than a person.
Then you just aren't reading me. I don't suggest a subjective value standard for determining the point of being. Instead I note the agreement on my being and the full vesting of right and simply demand, moving back, what any reasonable person would, that my right not be abrogated absent that which allows for it.

...when do you believe personhood begins?
Actually, that's the mud. That's the thing that reduces argument to declarations of emotional connection. I don't engage in it with this argument. It not only isn't necessary to decide the question, it makes the question impossible to answer rationally.

Either it's at conception, or later. Please just humor me with specifics. I've done as much and I'd appreciate you returning the courtesy.
It isn't a matter of courtesy. You didn't do it to be courteous. You did it because you had to, because that's where your argument rests. Mine doesn't.

Okay, so now you seem to be saying it is conception. I don't appreciate being made to feel like you're jerking this discussion around just for the fun of it.
I'm saying and have said that absent your ability to divest me of right you have two options: eliminate the right at every point or protect it at every point.

I'm getting sick to death of Christians who find reasons to excuse misery out of a misguided sense of loyalty to a pair of cells.
I'd hold this opinion were I an atheist. In fact, though not as sharply defined, I did. So don't lay your problems with my religion at the feet of this argument. And you're still conflating your conclusion with fact, even as you can't advance the right of it against my argument. So I suppose I'm getting tired of everyone who does that, who confuses their visceral response to the issue with a declaration of abiding truth. And so I approach with a different methodology and suggest we reason together.

If that isn't a completely monstrous set of priorities I can't imagine what else it would look like.
There's no more meaningful priority than the protection of right which gives rise to every other.

If this politeness it's back-handed.
I said I was trying to be. What followed, a bit more pointedly, was the response with more flesh on it. Still hardly insulting. I haven't talked about "you atheists" or made any particular criticism of you as a person advancing what I think is emotionally based and rationally unsupportable beans, because I understand that's how the argument tends to be addressed, by either side, and I don't devalue the value of that emotional conviction, only note its error and failure as methodology.

And if a thing doesn't and can't demonstrably work, trying to use it again and again is the working definition of crazy.

Certainly puts a new spin on "suffer the little children," for sure...
No, it doesn't. I touched on that with your assertions relating to particular disease. Unless you can establish the unavoidable necessity you can't even begin that balancing act.

Here you go again: this is the second time you've tried to make some kind of connection between what I'm talking about (stem cell research) and euthanasia (which I haven't mentioned at all).
No. But again, where are those stem cells coming from? Answer that question and end the confusion on this point. I don't see how it's part of our argument if the answer isn't from aborted fetuses.

There's no "you" there at all.
Well, yes, there is. I exist and have the right. Simply waving a hand and saying "Now you don't" fails the law and reason. And attempting to substitute an arbitrary valuation wouldn't wash for the reasons set out prior.

So existence/birth/conception (whatever: make your mind up and let me know) is all that we need. All right.
That's rather the argument, absent some abrogation that hasn't been forthcoming yet. Or, again, you can chuck the whole thing and it's open season.

Well in that case I think we'll just keep talking passed each other.
There's an argument on the table. You can keep walking past it, but that isn't the same thing. I have a vested right. I haven't violated the compact. I'm entitled to due process and protection under law. Unless you can establish the right to interfere with that you can't and back along the line I go, like Merlin, safe and sound until I cease to exist. Now if you can't find that point to end me in that regression then you have no legitimate argument against the vestment of right coming from the other direction. What you have, instead, is an emotional vestment and that simply should not and cannot be sufficient.

:e4e:

oatmeal

Therefore there is no problem with aborting fetuses prior to their exiting the womb and taking that first defining breath?

Why would you oppose it?

Genesis 2:7

Are you willing to throw that verse out of the scriptures?

Are you willing to ignore the clear teaching there?

Genesis gives God's description of His workings, creative and otherwise, about "the beginning". If I was me, and I am, I would include something about the beginning of mankind in that.

God did include the beginning of mankind in Genesis 1:1-3:24

Just like Eve and Adam couldn't not obey the simple truth of Genesis 2:17, even so, religious people ignore the clear teaching of Genesis 2:7.

God makes it very plain in Genesis 2:7 when "living soul" begins.

Have you ever heard the expression, "he took his last breath"

What does that mean?

It means he died. With the last breath death.

What is the condition of a fetus/unborn before the "first breath?"

Genesis 2:7 tells us that before the first breath, there is no "living soul"

That is the simple truth that has been there for anyone to read and learn from.

oatmeal

Silent Hunter

You not liking my responses will not necessarily garner you new ones.
. . . LOL . . . we’re still waiting on a definition of “person” that doesn’t fit the pattern . . . "person" (noun) = "human" (adjective/noun) = "person" (noun) = "human" (adjective/noun) = etc . . .

So far . . . [crickets chirping].

Why would I need to just make up definitions of words (as if making up definitions means anything)? These words already have definitions. Open a dictionary, genius. That's what people do when they need a word to be properly defined.

So, which dictionary definition do you prefer? Probably none seeing as how all deviate from your made-up fantasy world definitions. Do you really think making up definitions to fit our argument actually means something?
. . . we’ve been waiting on you to provide a definition . . . any definition . . . so far . . . [crickets chirping].

You're delusional.
. . . LOL . . . the long anticipated ad hominem . . . you’re nothing if not consistent in this regard.

I've given "mine" (see any dictionary). When can we expect your said “definition?” Hell's freezing over . . . :drums fingers:
. . . LOL . . . check this thread where I believe I said “at birth” . . . and “first breath.”

We’ve been waiting on your “dictionary” definition . . . feel free to post one . . . let’s see where it goes from there.

Not a diversion. You just are not comfortable with what your arguments logically conclude. In the Dr. Watson abortion thread, at least one poster mentioned "brain activity" as a defining characteristic of this mythical "person" you and others were fumbling over trying to define.
My “argument” doesn’t “logically conclude” anywhere. But since this is the tack you insist on taking (your red herring) . . . Is a “person” still a “person” if their brain has ceased to function, their heart has stopped, and they have stopped breathing?

If I find a source stating that the brain activity in a 6-week-old fetus is equal to that of a comatose patient then either "aborting" a comatose patient should be legal or killing the 6-week-old fetus should not be.

This is all too complicated for you, it seems.
This discussion is NOT about abortion or the comatose . . . it is about . . . “At what point does a person become a person?” Why do you insist on bringing the irrelevant into it?

So, you've got A) "brain activity", which is your little red herring. Or, you've got B) breathing, which can only work as an argument if you're willing to allow a 9-month-old fetus to be aborted.

We already know that you support the legal "right" of a "mother" to abort a baby in her womb from 9 weeks to nine months, so just be open about where you stand.

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong........we both know I'm not.
:yawn: . . . more of Wiz’s red herrings.

Characteristics you associate with being a "person"? You've got the cart before the horse there. What "characteristics" and how do you define "person"?

*Ahem* Either pee or get off the pot *cough*
LOL . . . been there and done that . . . right now we’re waiting on YOUR defining parameters . . . so far you’ve got "a member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H. sapiens."

Sure it is. I've got infinite dictionary definitions, which I am fine with using. You want to deviate from dictionary definitions? Then absolutely the burden is right on your lap where it's been since the Dr. Watson thread.

You, Dr. Watson, Greenrage and quip all failed miserably at even attempting a definition that didn't condemn the comatose, et al.
. . . that thread was about abortion . . . not “At what point does a person become a person?” Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?

Now, I'm willing to give you credit in the fact that your view is at least consistent. However, the only way a pro-choice argument can be consistent is if one is willing to declare that a fetus in any stage of development should legally lack protection against the wish of the mother to abort. Which is where the other three I mentioned above stray from your extreme fringe view.
. . . key word in yellow . . . and my “extreme fringe view” is consistent with, “Wouldn’t it be true that if the end of “personhood” is marked by a lack of breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity . . . that it is reasonable that we judge the beginning of “personhood” by these same criteria?"

Defining moment? Conception. The sperm, egg, womb, etc are all "human" (adjective). The zygote is a "person" (noun) as it is "human", an individual and living.
. . . this is not exactly true . . . a zygote is not necessarily an “individual” because there still exists the possibility of “twinning” which can occur up to 12 days after fertilization . . . so . . . your "criteria" is . . . just as arbitrary as anyone else’s.

Just to pick one definition to actually get you moving, how about "person": the body of a living human being.

Now, tell me why that definition is unacceptable. Waiting.....waiting.....
. . . unacceptable because it’s one of 15 possible definitions for “person.” Why not use . . .

1. a human being, whether man, woman, or child . . . clearly a zygote is NOT a man, woman, or child (though it possesses the potential for being one).

. . . or . . .

7. the body in its external aspect . . . which makes a dead human body a “person.”

. . . clearly “person” doesn’t mean the same thing to all people at all times.

You are blind to what your logic concludes. If an arbitrary period of development is required in order to first be considered a "person", then there also must be an equal point in which the person loses these characteristics and is thus, no longer considered such.
. . . if “death” is “an arbitrary period of development” then any time before then is also arbitrary. You yourself set “personhood” at "human", an individual and living” . . . when clearly “individual” is not such a solid starting point as discussed above.

Oh, really? Where? Link to the post.
. . . see above (but don’t expect me to recall the exact post).

When this point was first made in the Dr. Watson thread, it was in response to posters not making the distinction of word type. Is "human" most commonly used as an adjective or a noun?
. . . I’m not sure . . . probably more so as an adjective . . . you though are/were flip-flopping between “person” (noun) = “human” (noun) and “person” (noun) = “human” (adjective) which is equivocation on your part (which I recall pointing out on the (an)other tread).

Even your absurdity........
"What is a "person?"

A "person" is a "human?"

What is a "human?"

A "human" is a "person?"

Fails to make the distinction and offers human as a noun. It could read as "a person" is a "fast" or a "person" is a "slow". "Human" is most commonly a descriptive term, hence your word play above is simply a display of your ignorance of common word usage.
. . . but exactly how you were using the words as noted above.

Linking to a dictionary that shows how "human" can be used as a noun only furthers this display, as your offered definitions of "person"
1) A member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H. sapiens. 2) A person

are the very definitions you're whining about being equivocation.
. . . LOL . . . not at all . . . as pointed out in post 98 where you flip-flopped between “person” (noun) = “human” (noun) and “person” (noun) = “human” (adjective).

. . . and which also makes a dead human body a "person" (which I think you agree it is not).

I mean, could you gift-wrap presents like that for me next time?
. . . you could . . . but next time use a pretty bow . . . :chuckle:

"other than respiratory arrest" is a pretty big "other" and effectively neutralizes your argument. Again, if I accept your premise then we're talking about any fetus being "abort-able" from conception to birth.
. . . were we discussing abortion instead of, “At what point does a person become a person? . . . :idunno:

Yet we generally consider a fetus a "person" prior to them exiting the womb. They do no "breathe" until then. So, it is clear what your arguing for; elective abortion "rights" anytime, anywhere and at any point during pregnancy.
. . . “generally” . . . does that mean, “Not all the time?” . . . and . . . again . . . this discussion IS NOT about abortion.

LOL....talk about deflecting away from an actual response
. . . since the subject of the thread IS NOT where you are attempting to derail it to . . . I seem to be the only one between you and I who is making an effort of keeping things on topic.

Krsto

Genesis gives God's description of His workings, creative and otherwise, about "the beginning". If I was me, and I am, I would include something about the beginning of mankind in that.

Just like Eve and Adam couldn't not obey the simple truth of Genesis 2:17, even so, religious people ignore the clear teaching of Genesis 2:7.

What does that mean?

oatmeal

Gen. 2:7 tells how the first person, who was formed from the dust, became the first person. It says nothing about how or when a fetus becomes a person.

So far nobody has provided a scripture that does.

Krsto

Therefore there is no problem with aborting fetuses prior to their exiting the womb and taking that first defining breath?

Why would you oppose it?

For other reasons - which may be as arbitrary as the "at conception" answer.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we’re still waiting on a definition of “person”

Personhood is not defined. It is conferred. Anyone who attempts to define personhood will fail and those who continue to insist upon a definition only do so to excuse the killing of people who do not qualify.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: At what point does a person become a person?

]

Birth

(Job 3:11) Why did I not perish at birth,
and die as I came from the womb?

If life begins at conception, then Job would have said - "why did I not perish at conception"

Also, the angels in Heaven rejoiced at the BIRTH of Christ; they did not rejoice at the conception of Christ.

Krsto

Do we consider a person with genetic defects to be a person? Yet 95% of fetusus with genetic defects end in miscarriage in the first 20 weeks of gestation. That is by nature, by design, by the Designer of Nature, ie - God. What does that say about their personhood during the first 20 weeks, in the eyes of God?

Perhaps we are more "pro-life" than God?

Krsto

Birth

(Job 3:11) Why did I not perish at birth,
and die as I came from the womb?

If life begins at conception, then Job would have said - "why did I not perish at conception"

Also, the angels in Heaven rejoiced at the BIRTH of Christ; they did not rejoice at the conception of Christ.

Isn't there something about John the Baptist or Jesus "leaping" in the womb at hearing of the other or something like that - got to go so don't have time to look it up right now.

WizardofOz

Why would you oppose it?

What does that mean?

oatmeal

Answer my questions regarding your views on abortion and then we'll address scripture. But in the meantime I'll look forward to your response to Krsto.....
Gen. 2:7 tells how the first person, who was formed from the dust, became the first person. It says nothing about how or when a fetus becomes a person.

Adam was a special case as he was never in a womb.

For other reasons - which may be as arbitrary as the "at conception" answer.

How is "at conception" arbitrary?

Lovejoy

What does that mean?

oatmeal

http://www.experts.scival.com/umichigan/grantDetail.asp?t=ep1&id=8815738&o_id=51&

This is a person. They will be born, but will not breath (as they lack surfactant) so we will build what they need to maintain fetal circulation. They will have a name, a social security number, recognition of the state. In theory, they could be kept on an artificial placenta for far longer than the gestation cycle (if needed, for congenital heart defects), and you would still uphold the notion that they still have no soul. Science, at times, disputes our Scriptural notions, and your adamancy in upholding those notions (to my mind) only promotes disbelief.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Isn't there something about John the Baptist or Jesus "leaping" in the womb at hearing of the other or something like that - got to go so don't have time to look it up right now.

Yes, there is. Before I address that, let me give the following verse:

(Matt 11:11) Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist

Notice is says "Born", and not "conceived"

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

That is correct.

That is why Jesus said the following:

(John 3:3) Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Irony: "Born Again" Christians that claim life begins at conception.

Lovejoy

Yes, there is. Before I address that, let me give the following verse:

(Matt 11:11) Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist

Notice is says "Born", and not "conceived"

Matthew 1:20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

The word for conceived is Greek is sometimes the same as for born. This word above is nearly the same as the one used in your post. Notice, though, that this reference is prior to Christ actually being born, so it can mean nothing but what it is implied above.

Krsto

Matthew 1:20 But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.

The word for conceived is Greek is sometimes the same as for born. This word above is nearly the same as the one used in your post. Notice, though, that this reference is prior to Christ actually being born, so it can mean nothing but what it is implied above.

Well this would be a good scripture to establish that God considers a child a child sometime between conception and birth, but it doesn't really pin down the time unless we know at what point God said this in the child's gestation. Pretty early I would think. Note - it doesn't necessarily follow from this that God considered him a child at conception, just considering him a child at the time of saying this and making reference to which child he is talking about, ie: the one in Mary's womb.

Krsto

That is correct.

That is why Jesus said the following:

(John 3:3) Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Irony: "Born Again" Christians that claim life begins at conception.

I'm not following your logic here.

Lovejoy

Well this would be a good scripture to establish that God considers a child a child sometime between conception and birth, but it doesn't really pin down the time unless we know at what point God said this in the child's gestation. Pretty early I would think. Note - it doesn't necessarily follow from this that God considered him a child at conception, just considering him a child at the time of saying this and making reference to which child he is talking about, ie: the one in Mary's womb.

For sure, but at least it keeps it in the womb! That is a start.

oatmeal

Your point is exactly right.

Let us take it a step further.

Is there any scripture that would indicate that that verse is no longer valid for A and E's progeny?

oatmeal

Krsto

Your point is exactly right.

Let us take it a step further.

Is there any scripture that would indicate that that verse is no longer valid for A and E's progeny?

oatmeal

The one in question. Different method of generation. What applies to A&E doesn't necessarily apply to their offspring.

Status
Not open for further replies.