toldaily topic: Should Sara Palin run for office in 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
No, she's not. She does, however, have an undeniable visceral appeal. That doesn't stop the fact that she's dull and, from many accounts, a downright unpleasant woman with a deep-seated mean streak and savage sense of entitlement.

obama-looking-in-mirror.jpg

Beatrice

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 16th, 2010 11:12 AM

toldailytopic: Should Sara Palin run for office in 2012?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

If Palin ever becomes President of the United States I would then KNOW that the cosmos is basically one very funny joke.

nicholsmom

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 16th, 2010 11:12 AM

toldailytopic: Should Sara Palin run for office in 2012?

No. Even though she'd likely do a much better job than the last three presidents combined, she should not run for president. Lots of folks who would make great presidents shouldn't run for that office...

But Sara's in a great place right now, making a difference. If she runs, she'll be harassed and abused in ways that might just damage her effectiveness.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That really would have been sufficient. :eek:

Even though she'd likely do a much better job than the last three presidents combined,
Great. Now I'm typing through coffee stains. :D

she should not run for president.
Very, very true.

Lots of folks who would make great presidents shouldn't run for that office...
But let's not drag them into this... :plain:

But Sara's in a great place right now, making a difference.
I think she made a difference the day she quit her temp governor job. :thumb:

Atta girl, Sarah! You go and all that...and keep going, I suppose. :think:

If she runs, she'll be harassed and abused in ways that might just damage her effectiveness.
But really, is that even possible?

A-n-d scene. :e4e:

nicholsmom

McCain wasn't born in America, and he was allowed to run. Just saying. Obama was born in America, but one parent was not an American citizen. The law allows both to run for president.

The issue with Obama's dad concerns the law of that man's country (one that ought not to dictate our law, or how we interpret that law, in the USA) - that law that claimed as a citizen any child born to one of its citizens. So Obama had dual citizenship at birth, bringing in the concern for his loyalties. But as I said in my parenthetical above, that ought not to sway our view of our own laws.

The other thing to note is that Obama's dad STILL is not a citizen of the USA. It's not like the man was ever moving toward such a thing at all. He's a foreigner intent on his loyalty to his own nation. That is a concern because he has, as our president's father, more influence on the president than any other common man. Should it prevent his running for president? No.

However, if we are to be rational and fair, the thing we ought not to do is belittle the concern, because it is the same concern that the founders had in creating the "natural born citizen" rule.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The issue with Obama's dad concerns the law of that man's country (one that ought not to dictate our law, or how we interpret that law, in the USA) - that law that claimed as a citizen any child born to one of its citizens. So Obama had dual citizenship at birth, bringing in the concern for his loyalties.

So did McCain. He qualified for Panamanian citizenship. He was legally not an American citizen at birth, although most people accept that a revision to the law retroactively gave him his citizenship.

In Rogers v. Bellei the Supreme Court only ruled that "The only part of this section that is mandated by the 14th Amendment is the part giving citizenship to anyone born in the US and subject to its jurisdiction. The Supreme Court, in Rogers v. Bellei, held that the citizenship status of a person born outside the US to an American parent is not constitutionally protected. "
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html

McCain, as you might know, has refused to release his birth certificate. Ironically, Obama is unquestionably an American citizen, but McCain is not, so far as the 14th Amendment is concerned.

Of course, McCain wasn't questioned, but Obama was, for reasons that are obvious.

The other thing to note is that Obama's dad STILL is not a citizen of the USA.

He's not a citizen of anywhere. He's dead. Is there a point here?

However, if we are to be rational and fair, the thing we ought not to do is belittle the concern, because it is the same concern that the founders had in creating the "natural born citizen" rule.

We should heap ridicule and scorn on the "concern", which is clearly motivated by the horror that someone who is "not our kind" was elected president.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The issue with Obama's dad concerns the law of that man's country (one that ought not to dictate our law, or how we interpret that law, in the USA) - that law that claimed as a citizen any child born to one of its citizens. So Obama had dual citizenship at birth, bringing in the concern for his loyalties. But as I said in my parenthetical above, that ought not to sway our view of our own laws.

The other thing to note is that Obama's dad STILL is not a citizen of the USA. It's not like the man was ever moving toward such a thing at all. He's a foreigner intent on his loyalty to his own nation. That is a concern because he has, as our president's father, more influence on the president than any other common man. Should it prevent his running for president? No.

You realize you're just repeating some nonsense somebody made up, right?

taikoo

Oh yeah?! Have you seen the death certificate? :mmph: :D

Hiay Tai. :e4e: How's the holiday going?

I heard that he is deeply involved with something in area 51 but that it is best for the public to believe that he died while driving a steamboat up the Congo to some remote trading post.

Holiday wise, we are going to have Christmas dinner with the inlaws. Nobody trusts a vegetarian to cook turkey i guess.

Hows things with yours?

Nydhogg

Obamas dad is not doing much of anything. He has been dead for years.

She raises a VERY good point.

Even if he still were alive, he holds no influence whatsoever on Obama. They didn't speak to each other much, and Obama Sr. died when he was a young kid.

The Berean

She raises a VERY good point.

Even if he still were alive, he holds no influence whatsoever on Obama. They didn't speak to each other much, and Obama Sr. died when he was a young kid.

I believe Obama met his father for the last time at age 11.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Holiday wise, we are going to have Christmas dinner with the inlaws. Nobody trusts a vegetarian to cook turkey i guess.
I told you putting bones in turkey shaped tofu was going to backfire on you last year. And there you are.

Hows things with yours?
You know, the usual...
picture.php
hanging around.

I have a live eight and a half foot Green Giant Arborvitae sitting in my parlor. I may snap a photo of it once the decorations are done. I'm still figuring out where on the acreage I mean to plant it the day after Christmas...and this is as late as I can recall decorating, but things have been hectic at the Heretic household.

Tonight continues our movie tradition (last night was A Christmas Carol) that will end with the traditional watching of The Little Drummer Boy and It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.