ECT Time & Anthropomorphism with GOD

God's Truth

We can understand by what is said here that some people were ordained to salvation even before they believed:

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:48).​

It was "individuals" who believed so therefore it was individuals who were ordained to salvation.

How could the LORD ordain anyone to salvation unless He knows who they are?

You completely believed the false teachers on that. You should have searched the truth for yourself.

The scripture says when the GENTILES heard this they began rejoicing. Why do you think they were rejoicing? The Gentiles were just told that they could now have a relationship with God; they could now have eternal life. The Gentiles used to be excluded, and without God in the world, see Ephesians 2:12.

HOWEVER, NOW they were told they could have salvation! All those Gentiles who were there who heard the good news, the news that Gentiles as a race of people could now have eternal life, they believed. Gentiles as a nation of people were appointed to eternal life, not all Gentiles will have eternal life, and only the Gentiles who believe will have eternal life. The Gentiles who were appointed life---all those there at that time believed.

Acts 13:48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

There were Jews AND Gentiles in the crowd. All who were appointed [the Gentiles] in the crowd, all of them there believed.

The scripture says the Gentiles were ordained to be included, and ALL the Gentiles that were there--- BELIEVED. It does NOT say God caused them to believe and or trust. Take more time to understand what is written and what it means.

God's Truth

Please explain how it is possible that the LORD ordains people to salvation without even knowing the identity of any of those people.

Gentiles as a nation of people were ordained to come into a relationship with God; they were ordained to be saved as any of the Jews, if they believe and obey.
Not all Jews believe and obey. Not all Gentiles believe and obey.
The scripture about Gentiles being ordained is not about individual people; it s about all people from all nations and ethnicity ordained---to have the chance to be saved.

The Gentiles as a nation of people were ordained/allowed to be saved, but people individually still had to believe and repent of their sins.

Danoh

"...why sometimes I have believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast..." - Into The Looking Glass (aka Alice in Wonderland)

Perceptions of Time...

Through Time: Where you perceive time as a timeline in front of you, say, from left for the past; the middle for the present; and the right, for the future.

This sense of time is experienced when one is planning a thing out, or attempting to sort out its time-frame, and is great for "stepping out of time" to attempt to sort out one thing or another.

As in the Lord looked at the circle of the Earth.

And then there is being...

In Time: also known as "being in the moment" this sense of time is experienced as a sense of the past being behind one, the present in one, and the future ahead of one.

As in "put that behind you."

Or "she has a bright future ahead of her."

But also as in "hath delivered us from the wrath to come..."

Per the Scripture, which is God's experience of time?

Words, predicates, and so on, being a window into spirit or mind of another, that is...

"Wherefore remember that ye being in time past...but now...that in the ages to come He might..."

"Might" there, being in the sense of a future result made possible by a past action.

And then you have those passages where the time and space distance between Heaven and Earth appear to be mere moments.

As in, "in a moment; in the twinkling of an eye..."

As in "don't touch Me til I have received My Glory...hey guys, I'm back - BOO!!!"

In other words, the Lord appears to have a sense of humor - also a sensing of time issue.

And then there is the various senses of time described in passages like Romans 5:8's "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Good day, bad day; good moment; bad moment - there is nothing like choosing by faith to simply re-experience those anew, each time. :thumb:

What...a Wonderfu Saviour...

Jerry Shugart

That "bus" is Christ. Those who are IN CHRIST are ordained to eternal life.

Those in Christ are there because they believed. And the verse we are looking at reveals that they were ordained to salvation before they believed.

The following two verses are speaking about the same exact thing and it is impossible that "individuals" are not in view:

"Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet.1:2).​

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

Both of these verses speak of how people are chosen for salvation and both are speaking about the LORD choosing for salvation those who believe. It is ridiculous to even imagine that the LORD knows beforehand who believes and who does not believe but at the same time He doesn't know their identity.

Last edited:

glorydaz

Those in Christ are there because they believed. And the verse we are looking at reveals that they were ordained to salvation before they believed.

Then lets look closer at the way the word ordained is used in this verse. The Greek word is tasso...which I can't find to mean predetermined anywhere.

Compare those who first heard the word of God. Those who put it from them...judging themselves unworthy of everlasting life. They clearly rejected the Gospel, not being disposed to accept it.

Acts 13:46 Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.​

Acts 13:47 For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.​

Acts. 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.​

From Strong's the word "tasso" and how it's used.

This word is used 8 times:

Matthew 28:16: "a mountain where Jesus had appointed them."
Luke 7:8: "also am a man set under authority, having under"
Acts 13:48: "and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed."
Acts 15:2: "disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas,"
Acts 22:10: "of all things which are appointed for thee to do."
Acts 28:23: "And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him"
Romans 13:1: "the powers that be are ordained of God."
1 Corinthians 16:15: "the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the"

In context, it fits well with the idea that those who were disposed (even addicted) to what the Gospel was saying, believed.

Acts 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:​

Danoh

Again, there were JEWS and Gentiles there, and out of all those people that were there, the Gentiles believed and were saved.

In the spirit of "tribute to whom tribute is due" Rom. 13:7, on a thing; GT - exactly.

Exactly, GT - "This witness is true" Titus 1:13.

You're right this time around (as you will be again, on some things, and not on others - just like anyone else on here).

This here...

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Is referring to this...

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad (believed), and glorified the word of the Lord (voiced their having believed) and (in other words) as many as were ordained (called) to eternal life (that day) believed.

That is very similar in heart issue and witness to this here...

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Acts 15:12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

Galatians 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

And note some uses of the MEANING of word "ordained."

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not; ) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Ordained there = called. As it does in the following...

1 Corinthians 7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

Mark 3:14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,

Mark 6:7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;

And on and on...

In fact, the sense in Acts 13:48 is that as many of those Gentiles who were there that day, and had thus been able to hear their being called to believe by Paul's preaching; did so, and as a result, every Gentile there that day, not only heard the Word, but believed it, and ended up saved.

What a day that must have been for each of those Gentiles!

To have gotten up that morning, just like any other, gone off about their business, to return home later that day - saved!

All because...Romans 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.

What...a wonderful Saviour...indeed!

God's Truth

In the spirit of "tribute to whom tribute is due" Rom. 13:7, on a thing; GT - exactly.

Exactly, GT - "This witness is true" Titus 1:13.

You're right this time around (as you will be again, on some things, and not on others - just like anyone else on here).

This here...

Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

Is referring to this...

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad (believed), and glorified the word of the Lord (voiced their having believed) and (in other words) as many as were ordained (called) to eternal life (that day) believed.

That is very similar in heart issue and witness to this here...

Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Acts 15:12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

Galatians 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

And note some uses of the MEANING of word "ordained."

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not; ) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

Ordained there = called. As it does in the following...

1 Corinthians 7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

Mark 3:14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,

Mark 6:7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;

And on and on...

In fact, the sense in Acts 13:48 is that as many of those Gentiles who were there that day, and had thus been able to hear their being called to believe by Paul's preaching; did so, and as a result, every Gentile there that day, not only heard the Word, but believed it, and ended up saved.

What a day that must have been for each of those Gentiles!

To have gotten up that morning, just like any other, gone off about their business, to return home later that day - saved!

All because...Romans 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.

What...a wonderful Saviour...indeed!

I am glad we have agreement on this.

Derf

Please explain how it is possible that the LORD ordains people to salvation without even knowing the identity of any of those people.

Your verse didn't actually say He ordains to salvation, but to eternal life. And since His original plan seemed to include Adam and Eve, and presumably ALL of their offspring, living forever, it seems you have an answer to your question.

Oh! And Merry Christmas, Jerry!

God's Truth

Only because they obeyed, right?

The message comes for God fearing Gentiles who live good lives.

You didn't know that.

I am glad to tell you.

Acts 10:35 but that in every nation those who fear Him and live good lives are acceptable to Him.

Acts 13:26 "Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent.

Jerry Shugart

Your verse didn't actually say He ordains to salvation, but to eternal life. And since His original plan seemed to include Adam and Eve, and presumably ALL of their offspring, living forever, it seems you have an answer to your question.

Where do we read in the Bible that the LORD ordained all of the offspring of Adam and Eve to eternal life?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The message comes for God fearing Gentiles who live good lives.

You didn't know that.

I am glad to tell you.

Acts 10:35 but that in every nation those who fear Him and live good lives are acceptable to Him.

Acts 13:26 "Fellow children of Abraham and you God-fearing Gentiles, it is to us that this message of salvation has been sent.
But they had to keep obeying and keep asking forgiveness for EVERY sin, they couldn't miss one sin, and they had to keep repenting everyday, right?

God's Truth

But they had to keep obeying and keep asking forgiveness for EVERY sin, they couldn't miss one sin, and they had to keep repenting everyday, right?

You have to keep an open communication with Jesus. How do you live with someone and not talk to them ever about what you are feeling and doing?

Derf

Where do we read in the Bible that the LORD ordained all of the offspring of Adam and Eve to eternal life?

It's implied by the command not to eat of the bad tree and the permission to eat of the good tree. It's also implied by God's injunction to Noah about avenging the life of man and the reason for the injunction--that man is made in God's image.

But even if these were full proof, the verse you gave would be plenty adequate.

And finally, you did actually read my post, right? and saw the word "presumably"?

Derf

Well, it is all a closed system, so of course circular reasoning is valid, if not provable. Jerry is explaining one classic Arminian position of God's foreknowledge as provisional (Molinism). It is circular, because it tries to preserve BOTH God's Exhaustive Foreknowledge and man's freewill.
I recognize that a knowledge of God who is all in all will result in some circular references, but can you use those as facts to prove those to be facts? No. And mostly it's circular based on our presuppositions, and we end up "proving" our premises.

It is a classic philosophy discussion as well. There is a real difficulty in reconciling fatalism with freedom and freewill. In a secular world, it is the same: If we are made by and at the mercies of the universe, it already dictated our limits thus we have no freedom, just some choices within a closed system and those too, predetermined. For example: It may seem that I can choose between chocolate and vanilla, but something already in my make-up prefers vanilla and I'm happy to be predetermined for vanilla because "that is what I like" (circular reasoning). As long as one is happy in his circle, he/she doesn't care so much about the fatalism/freedom dilemma. It is rather with undesirable consequences we are most concerned with fatalism vs. freewill. "Did I really make my own bed to lie in?"
In my mind, the freewill argument is the only one that makes sense to make--anything else is merely the result of the fatalism/determinism, whichever side we take. Maybe freewill is, too, but at least there's a purpose to argue for it.

But we do have good minds for grasping some of revelation. It is, imo, revelation places us imago deo among other of God's attributes. We can often but grasp a little of what He tells us, but He if we couldn't, there wouldn't be much point in telling us of these things. I suppose 'trust' is part of it, but we have to grasp even the smallest part of revelation with understanding, to appreciate it.
And we are also to seek knowledge and understanding--so even if we don't start with much more than a smallest part, we are to seek out the greater part.

Difficult to ascertain. I 'assume' you are right, but 'always?' Again, I assume that too is correct but for instance: Ephesians 1:4 1 Peter 1:20. I rather think time is a construct that aids us in attaining goals. It is a measure thus, from point A to point B. Titus 1:2 2 Timothy 1:9 (both literally 'before time started' (pro- chronos aiōnios). 2 Peter 3:8 for me, has to be taken literally.
All of your quotes seem to require someone to be around to receive the promise, and none of us were, except the Son. We are not preexistent, or we could call ourselves "I am that I am". So all of the promises were made to us "in Christ", or the promises were made to the Son (we are the benefit promised rather than the beneficiaries).

Conundrum with all Omni's. Another example: Can God 'move' through the universe? Isn't all contained 'in' Him? If so, can He move through Himself? The answer to both is that God is not Physical. Time is a property of things moving. It is a measurement. Same with space. The universe has limits, granted God can make it incredibly large, to us. He yet, is beyond it. You intuitively know it. It is the same with time as well.
Same with our "space", I suppose. Is there another "space" outside ours that ours fits in? Just like there is a time (sequence) before and after our "time"? If our heaven and earth will be destroyed, there must be some "where" we will go, "after" it happens (or "before" it happens, so that we can be there "while" it happens, and enjoy the new heavens and earth "after" it happens.

Not a lie. I 'can' put my finger in my fish bowl. I cannot travel across it but for relation, to feed them, clean it, etc. God 'cannot' be constrained by His creation else it'd be all there is, if you follow. We have to realize if God is bigger than the universe or is 'in' the universe. I cannot fit into my fish's tank. I 'can' interact with them in it. I 'think' I'm ichthysmorphic (fish language) in describing such to them, however. They are just not going to grasp I can live outside of water, for example. Their brains are too tiny. They can only know a few things. They would be correct that "Lon is wet" but would not know I'm not 'all' wet unless I told them, and they'd have to take it on faith without really knowing what 'not wet' means. We also have constraints on our abilities to see into what is eternal and infinite, but there are mathematical expressions that help us realize that truly, God is beyond our 3-D realm. We know, besides intuitively, also mathematically, that there are things beyond our universe and escape it. Time is a measurement of properties. For instance, without the sun, you'd have no way of marking time. Sure, you could watch a clock but 'succession' is a movement. A physical movement, even if a thing 'stands still' through time. It is still experiencing a physical property of its physical existence. Like a fish, that thinks 'wet' is all there is, his/her worldview is limited and wrong. In Him -Lon
Hard to finish the fish analogy, since I don't know what that space is outside our fishbowl. Where are YOU when you put your finger into that fishbowl? Are you not in a house that you have built (or someone like you built)? But to tell the fish there is a space there when there really isn't, even if that space is something the fish cannot endure, is a lie. Does God need a space to live in? I don't think so, else, as you say, He would not be self-sufficient. But CAN He build Himself a house? Can He have a mansion with many rooms, of some type, so that where He is, there we may be also?

And if He can, isn't it a lie to say that when He says He has such a place for us, where we will be with Him, that He really means there is no such place?

This is where anthropomorphisms and anthropopathisms get to be a problem--when we use them to say that the meaning behind the anthropomorphism is the opposite of the truth that He is trying to reveal. Hopefully we won't do that.

When we say that God is impassible, yet He tells us He gets angry or is jealous--who's the liar? We can only say that God is impassible to a point--He's not infinitely impassible--since He tells us different.

Is God's use of "before" and "after" language to describe Himself and His interaction with His son anthropomorphic? Maybe. but why do we say that? Isn't it because of presuppositions about what we think about God? Isn't it because we have applied the label of impassibility and defined the term such that the only conclusion we can reach is one that is beyond our ability to understand? There is plenty about God that is impossible to understand, but replacing one incomprehensible characteristic (where we don't understand how God can experience a before and after, perhaps) with another (where we say God doesn't experience time at all) is not really progress, is it? Especially when He tells us that He does?

And Merry Christmas to you, too, Lon. I did start this yesterday, but had other things to attend to...:)

Lon

I recognize that a knowledge of God who is all in all will result in some circular references, but can you use those as facts to prove those to be facts? No. And mostly it's circular based on our presuppositions, and we end up "proving" our premises.

In my mind, the freewill argument is the only one that makes sense to make--anything else is merely the result of the fatalism/determinism, whichever side we take. Maybe freewill is, too, but at least there's a purpose to argue for it.

And we are also to seek knowledge and understanding--so even if we don't start with much more than a smallest part, we are to seek out the greater part.

All of your quotes seem to require someone to be around to receive the promise, and none of us were, except the Son. We are not preexistent, or we could call ourselves "I am that I am". So all of the promises were made to us "in Christ", or the promises were made to the Son (we are the benefit promised rather than the beneficiaries).

Same with our "space", I suppose. Is there another "space" outside ours that ours fits in? Just like there is a time (sequence) before and after our "time"? If our heaven and earth will be destroyed, there must be some "where" we will go, "after" it happens (or "before" it happens, so that we can be there "while" it happens, and enjoy the new heavens and earth "after" it happens.

Hard to finish the fish analogy, since I don't know what that space is outside our fishbowl. Where are YOU when you put your finger into that fishbowl? Are you not in a house that you have built (or someone like you built)? But to tell the fish there is a space there when there really isn't, even if that space is something the fish cannot endure, is a lie. Does God need a space to live in? I don't think so, else, as you say, He would not be self-sufficient. But CAN He build Himself a house? Can He have a mansion with many rooms, of some type, so that where He is, there we may be also?

And if He can, isn't it a lie to say that when He says He has such a place for us, where we will be with Him, that He really means there is no such place?

This is where anthropomorphisms and anthropopathisms get to be a problem--when we use them to say that the meaning behind the anthropomorphism is the opposite of the truth that He is trying to reveal. Hopefully we won't do that.

When we say that God is impassible, yet He tells us He gets angry or is jealous--who's the liar? We can only say that God is impassible to a point--He's not infinitely impassible--since He tells us different.

Is God's use of "before" and "after" language to describe Himself and His interaction with His son anthropomorphic? Maybe. but why do we say that? Isn't it because of presuppositions about what we think about God? Isn't it because we have applied the label of impassibility and defined the term such that the only conclusion we can reach is one that is beyond our ability to understand? There is plenty about God that is impossible to understand, but replacing one incomprehensible characteristic (where we don't understand how God can experience a before and after, perhaps) with another (where we say God doesn't experience time at all) is not really progress, is it? Especially when He tells us that He does?

And Merry Christmas to you, too, Lon. I did start this yesterday, but had other things to attend to...:)
Hope your Christmas was full of Him. In a nutshell, we are either man-focused from our perspective, or we are trying to ascertain things from God's perspective. We know implicitly that His thoughts and ways are not ours and that 'so far above' are His thoughts than ours. What we have is revelation else we'd always think anthropomorphically. Bad? No, but God Himself, does remind us that He is different and not like a man. Scripture implicitly gives us some Omni's and at other times, a paragraph, chapter, or book describes one of His qualities as we understand the omnis.
A few of your questions intermix these (as well as does my analogies). I used a wholly physical fish example, but my premise is trying to reach beyond that: God is and isn't in a 'where.' That is, 'where' is hard for us, it is a physical construct. God told Moses he could not see Him, just His glory as He passed by. It is somewhat akin to my finger in a fishbowl. You said 'lied' but I think the 'lie' is formed from our limited understanding, such that it isn't at all a lie, we just 'think' (limited, wrongly) it is. God can't lie.

As far as your other comment about the verses being promises to us? Agree, but it doesn't remove the idea that time began, for us. For me, it rather enforces it. God created us in a physical universe and/or created a physical universe for us.

I hope your Christmas was very blessed and your new year is full of Him -Lon