ECT Time & Anthropomorphism with GOD

Jerry Shugart

But you are also wrong about what we humans can do. We all move forward in time, minute by minute, hour by hour, at least until we die.

Is that really the best that you can do?

Those in their flesh and blood bodies are constrained by time. On the other hand, the LORD GOD is not. He knows who in the future will believe and who will not:

"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" (2 Tim.1:9).​

Derf

Is that really the best that you can do?

Those in their flesh and blood bodies are constrained by time. On the other hand, the LORD GOD is not. He knows who in the future will believe and who will not:

"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began" (2 Tim.1:9).​

Is that the best you can do?

You have shown that God called us with a holy calling in Christ before the world began. Ok--just as Adam and Eve had a holy calling to fulfill in the Garden--and they didn't do it.

So God told His purpose to His son before the world began, and explained how they would show grace to us--not according to our works (which He didn't know before the world began, or He didn't use them to determine what He was going to do--either one works.

We were not in Christ Jesus before the world began, were we? Were we eternal before He created us?

But how, before the world began (thus before time) could God do anything, since there is no "before" time.

Jerry Shugart

We were not in Christ Jesus before the world began, were we?

True believers are chosen in Christ before the world began (Eph.1:4) through the LORD's foreknowledge:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

In the eternal state God sees into the future and once He sees a person believe in the future then that person is ordained to eternal life:

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed"
(Acts 13:48).​

God is not bound by time and we know that because He knows what happens in the future.

Derf

True believers are chosen in Christ before the world began (Eph.1:4) through the LORD's foreknowledge:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth" (2 Thess.2:13).​

In the eternal state God sees into the future and once He sees a person believe in the future then that person is ordained to eternal life:

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed"

God is not bound by time and we know that because He knows what happens in the future.

You're talking in circles, Jerry. You say we know that God knows that future because we know He knows the future. You say God is not bound by time, and we know that because God is not bound by time.

It's nice of you to tell me all about the eternal state, but I get the feeling you have never experienced the eternal state, and therefore have very little knowledge of it to share, except from your other sources--and I don't think they are/were in any better position to describe how God experiences time/non-time.

The bible is pretty clear how God interacts with us--and it is always in time. There don't seem to be any passages that say "God experiences everything in an eternal now." Nor are there any that explain what it would be like for us to experience things in an eternal now. Thus, as good as it may sound, there's just not any evidence of it, but there is plenty of the other kind of evidence (pretty much the whole bible).

In fact, your very statement above refutes your assertion. If God "looks into the future" and "once He sees a person believe, it suggests God is experiencing these things in a sequence, even if not in our time. Yet there can be no sequence for a person who is in an eternal now, can there?

Now, with due deference to the thread topic, maybe you can explain the interactions of God with man as anthropomorphisms--where non-time is described as time and non-sequence is described as sequence, but it seems to show the scriptures to be a lie, if that's the case. But the burden of proof is on you and your buddies you quoted to give biblical evidence of it, instead of just repeating the philosophy as if it is already established, don't you think?

Thanks,
Derf

glorydaz

Rather than knowing individual people would believe, that verse seems to be talking about God's PURPOSE and Grace given "us IN CHRIST JESUS". The purpose from the beginning is that Christ would have a people unto Himself through Grace.

Is that the best you can do?

You have shown that God called us with a holy calling in Christ before the world began. Ok--just as Adam and Eve had a holy calling to fulfill in the Garden--and they didn't do it.

So God told His purpose to His son before the world began, and explained how they would show grace to us--not according to our works (which He didn't know before the world began, or He didn't use them to determine what He was going to do--either one works.

We were not in Christ Jesus before the world began, were we? Were we eternal before He created us?

But how, before the world began (thus before time) could God do anything, since there is no "before" time.

Right. What was known was there there would be many saved according to the purpose laid out from the beginning.

Again, that speaks to the method by which people become the "chosen"....sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.

"As many as were ordained to eternal life believe unto salvation... the method of the purpose. Romans 8:28-30 Ephesians 1:11 Ephesians 3:11

Lon

You're talking in circles, Jerry. You say we know that God knows that future because we know He knows the future. You say God is not bound by time, and we know that because God is not bound by time.
Well, it is all a closed system, so of course circular reasoning is valid, if not provable. Jerry is explaining one classic Arminian position of God's foreknowledge as provisional (Molinism). It is circular, because it tries to preserve BOTH God's Exhaustive Foreknowledge and man's freewill.

It is a classic philosophy discussion as well. There is a real difficulty in reconciling fatalism with freedom and freewill. In a secular world, it is the same: If we are made by and at the mercies of the universe, it already dictated our limits thus we have no freedom, just some choices within a closed system and those too, predetermined. For example: It may seem that I can choose between chocolate and vanilla, but something already in my make-up prefers vanilla and I'm happy to be predetermined for vanilla because "that is what I like" (circular reasoning). As long as one is happy in his circle, he/she doesn't care so much about the fatalism/freedom dilemma. It is rather with undesirable consequences we are most concerned with fatalism vs. freewill. "Did I really make my own bed to lie in?"

It's nice of you to tell me all about the eternal state, but I get the feeling you have never experienced the eternal state, and therefore have very little knowledge of it to share, except from your other sources--and I don't think they are/were in any better position to describe how God experiences time/non-time.
But we do have good minds for grasping some of revelation. It is, imo, revelation places us imago deo among other of God's attributes. We can often but grasp a little of what He tells us, but He if we couldn't, there wouldn't be much point in telling us of these things. I suppose 'trust' is part of it, but we have to grasp even the smallest part of revelation with understanding, to appreciate it.
The bible is pretty clear how God interacts with us--and it is always in time. There don't seem to be any passages that say "God experiences everything in an eternal now." Nor are there any that explain what it would be like for us to experience things in an eternal now. Thus, as good as it may sound, there's just not any evidence of it, but there is plenty of the other kind of evidence (pretty much the whole bible).
Difficult to ascertain. I 'assume' you are right, but 'always?' Again, I assume that too is correct but for instance: Ephesians 1:4 1 Peter 1:20. I rather think time is a construct that aids us in attaining goals. It is a measure thus, from point A to point B. Titus 1:2 2 Timothy 1:9 (both literally 'before time started' (pro- chronos aiōnios). 2 Peter 3:8 for me, has to be taken literally.

In fact, your very statement above refutes your assertion. If God "looks into the future" and "once He sees a person believe, it suggests God is experiencing these things in a sequence, even if not in our time. Yet there can be no sequence for a person who is in an eternal now, can there?
Conundrum with all Omni's. Another example: Can God 'move' through the universe? Isn't all contained 'in' Him? If so, can He move through Himself? The answer to both is that God is not Physical. Time is a property of things moving. It is a measurement. Same with space. The universe has limits, granted God can make it incredibly large, to us. He yet, is beyond it. You intuitively know it. It is the same with time as well.

Now, with due deference to the thread topic, maybe you can explain the interactions of God with man as anthropomorphisms--where non-time is described as time and non-sequence is described as sequence, but it seems to show the scriptures to be a lie, if that's the case. But the burden of proof is on you and your buddies you quoted to give biblical evidence of it, instead of just repeating the philosophy as if it is already established, don't you think?

Thanks,
Derf
Not a lie. I 'can' put my finger in my fish bowl. I cannot travel across it but for relation, to feed them, clean it, etc. God 'cannot' be constrained by His creation else it'd be all there is, if you follow. We have to realize if God is bigger than the universe or is 'in' the universe. I cannot fit into my fish's tank. I 'can' interact with them in it. I 'think' I'm ichthysmorphic (fish language) in describing such to them, however. They are just not going to grasp I can live outside of water, for example. Their brains are too tiny. They can only know a few things. They would be correct that "Lon is wet" but would not know I'm not 'all' wet unless I told them, and they'd have to take it on faith without really knowing what 'not wet' means. We also have constraints on our abilities to see into what is eternal and infinite, but there are mathematical expressions that help us realize that truly, God is beyond our 3-D realm. We know, besides intuitively, also mathematically, that there are things beyond our universe and escape it. Time is a measurement of properties. For instance, without the sun, you'd have no way of marking time. Sure, you could watch a clock but 'succession' is a movement. A physical movement, even if a thing 'stands still' through time. It is still experiencing a physical property of its physical existence. Like a fish, that thinks 'wet' is all there is, his/her worldview is limited and wrong. In Him -Lon

Jerry Shugart

"As many as were ordained to eternal life believe unto salvation... the method of the purpose. Romans 8:28-30 Ephesians 1:11 Ephesians 3:11

Did you happen to notice that they were "ordained" to salvation before they believed?

The LORD ordained that certain individuals would be saved because from the beginning He chose them because they believed the truth:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth"
(2 Thess.2:13).​

Jerry Shugart

Jerry is explaining one classic Arminian position of God's foreknowledge as provisional It is circular, because it tries to preserve BOTH God's Exhaustive Foreknowledge and man's freewill.

My position is similiar to that of Calvinist Loraine Boettner stated here:

"Much of the difficulty in regard to the doctrine of Predestination is due to the finite character of our mind, which can grasp only a few details at a time, and which understands only a part of the relations between these. We are creatures of time, and often fail to take into consideration the fact that God is not limited as we are. That which appears to us as 'past,' 'present,' and 'future,' is all 'present' to His mind. It is an eternal 'now'...Just as He sees at one glance a road leading from New York to San Francisco, while we see only a small portion of it as we pass over it, so He sees all events in history, past, present, and future at one glance" (Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination [Michigan: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1932]).​

Since the LORD sees everything in history (past, present and future) at one glance then in reality there is no such thing as a "foreknowledge" with the LORD.

Last edited:

glorydaz

Did you happen to notice that they were "ordained" to salvation before they believed?

The LORD ordained that certain individuals would be saved because from the beginning He chose them because they believed the truth:

"But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth"
(2 Thess.2:13).​

God has ordained that those who believe....whosoever they may be.

This is the same as Jesus is the Saviour of all men, especially those who believe.

Jesus does not save all men.

Jerry Shugart

Yes, but the ordaining precedes the believing so the LORD must know who will believe before they actually do believe.

Right?

Does that not prove that God is not bound by time as we are?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This is the same as Jesus is the Saviour of all men, especially those who believe.

Jesus does not save all men.
This is how I see it also.
One can predetermine that people will receive a gift without knowing the individual names of those people beforehand.

I heard an analogy I liked that expresses this.
I arrange a party and invite the whole town. (As GOD invites the whole world.)
I can predetermine that whosoever comes to my party will receive a free gift.
I do not have to know how many will come or the names of the individuals that do come in order to make that predetermination.

Similar to Moses raising the serpent on the pole.
Whosoever would look upon it would be healed.
Didn't have to know how many or their individual names to do that

Jerry Shugart

One can predetermine that people will receive a gift without knowing the individual names of those people beforehand.

From what we read here I cannot imagine that particular people were not ordained to salvation:

It was individuals who believed and therefore it was those particular people who were ordained.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From what we read here I cannot imagine that particular people were not ordained to salvation:

It was individuals who believed and therefore it was those particular people who were ordained.
The LORD didn't have to know the names in advance of who all "whosoever" would turn out to be.
Neither the context nor the grammar demands that each individual had to be known beforehand specifically by name.
That is something that is being read into the text.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The LORD didn't have to know the names in advance of who all "whosoever" would turn out to be.
Neither the context nor the grammar demands that each individual had to be known beforehand specifically by name.
That is something that is being read into the text.
Revelation 20:15 KJV - We don't know when the book of life was written Edit: I see Revelation 17:8 KJV -

That doesn't mean God isn't writing new names

Derf

Maybe you should try harder! Don't merely stay with your current capabilities.

Jerry Shugart

We can understand by what is said here that some people were ordained to salvation even before they believed:

"And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed" (Acts 13:48).​

It was "individuals" who believed so therefore it was individuals who were ordained to salvation.

How could the LORD ordain anyone to salvation unless He knows who they are?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Please explain how it is possible that the LORD ordains people to salvation without even knowing the identity of any of those people.
It's already been explained, Jerry.

One can invite everyone to a party.
One can preordain that WHOSOEVER shows up to the party will receive a free gift.
You don't have to know the precise individuals that will or will not show up to preordain that whosoever does show up will receive a free gift.

Just as Moses set up the serpent on the pole.
It was set up for ALL of Israel.
But only the "whosoever" that looked upon it were healed.
Moses did not have to know which individuals would and would not look upon it to state the fact that whosoever did look upon it would be healed.

This ain't hard to figure out that one can indeed preordain a thing without knowing the exact individuals that will or will not.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Please explain how it is possible that the LORD ordains people to salvation without even knowing the identity of any of those people.

This analogy works really well.

This is how I see it also.

I heard an analogy I liked that expresses this.
I arrange a party and invite the whole town. (As GOD invites the whole world.)
I can predetermine that whosoever comes to my party will receive a free gift.
I do not have to know how many will come or the names of the individuals that do come in order to make that predetermination.

Similar to Moses raising the serpent on the pole.
Whosoever would look upon it would be healed.
Didn't have to know how many or their individual names to do that

It's pre-ordaining a group, not individuals. People can either join the group or they do not join. But the group (in the case of "those who are preordained to salvation") as a whole will be saved.

Think of that group as a bus or plane, the bus or plane is preordained to go to it's destination. People have to buy a ticket to board, and once they board, they will go to that destination. If they don't board, they won't go there. But the bus or plane is going there regardless, because it was preordained to do so. The person has the choice of going or not going.

glorydaz

This analogy works really well.

It's pre-ordaining a group, not individuals. People can either join the group or they do not join. But the group (in the case of "those who are preordained to salvation") as a whole will be saved.

Think of that group as a bus or plane, the bus or plane is preordained to go to it's destination. People have to buy a ticket to board, and once they board, they will go to that destination. If they don't board, they won't go there. But the bus or plane is going there regardless, because it was preordained to do so. The person has the choice of going or not going.

The best analogy is the truth. ;)

That "bus" is Christ. Those who are IN CHRIST are ordained to eternal life.

From the beginning, it was ordained that Christ would have a Body.